Apple CarPlay USB move from left to right

Dreynolds10

VIP Member
T6 Pro
A couple of members have reached to ask how I moved the USB for CarPlay from the left of the vehicle to a more convenient place on the right so I thought I would share this post. Feel free to edit, move or delete if this has been covered before.

I found the name of “VW 3D Printing” from this forum in a separate thread so reached out to Mark directly (he is on facebook). I have no affiliation to Mark other than I worked with him on helping create the blank for the centre console (more on that below).

Mark can 3D print the blanks for the larger left hand side VW USB holder and also print the bottom row (only - not the top) on the left hand side. I sent him the blank from my comfort dash, he sent me back a template and with a bit of fettling back and forth to get it right he can now print these as well.

Mark supplies the USBs that connect into the Blanks that he creates so that they fit perfectly. However, you could supply your own leads but you would need to gently file and reshape them to ensure a snug fit.

I did have a couple of issues with one of the USB power packs which I stripped and fixed myself. I believe Mark now has an alternative supply option. My power back had some loose wiring (crimps) and might have been a one off but credit to Mark as he was quick to offer a replacement but I had already fixed the problem myself.

Anyway, how I did it...

First, I took the glove box out to give access. You can see below where I routed the USBs

15340D61-F699-4CE6-A9F9-908CBE41C2FD.jpeg

Once you have removed the factory USB and blank from the left you can separate the components using a thin knife.

9371CB76-097A-4778-A294-44A8484E16E8.jpeg
This part is very fragile and can snap. If you break it and cannot reuse it then Mark can 3D print a new one for you. See below, it’s hard to tell the difference between the factory and the 3D printed one.

D05F28CC-E7FB-48B0-8BBA-548EBFB8C630.jpeg

Once separated you can then run a USB extender from the original USB to the new blank on the driver side and then tape the unit behind the glove box out of sight.

Here is a picture of the blank on the driver side where the USB connector runs to.

0BE3C779-0310-4B0B-B62E-B07876BA2BCC.jpeg

I ran a USB to the comfort dash also (as per the first pic above).

Now I have CarPlay on the right hand side with fast charger on the left and middle and the cables are all neat and tidy.

02297E62-7F9C-4547-9A55-EEC213333466.jpeg

Last edited:
Where did you take the supply from for the fast charge usb please?
Thanks

A couple of members have reached to ask how I moved the USB for CarPlay from the left of the vehicle to a more convenient place on the right so I thought I would share this post. Feel free to edit, move or delete if this has been covered before.

I found the name of “VW 3D Printing” from this forum in a separate thread so reached out to Mark directly (he is on facebook). I have no affiliation to Mark other than I worked with him on helping create the blank for the centre console (more on that below).

Mark can 3D print the blanks for the larger left hand side VW USB holder and also print the bottom row (only - not the top) on the left hand side. I sent him the blank from my comfort dash, he sent me back a template and with a bit of fettling back and forth to get it right he can now print these as well.

Mark supplies the USBs that connect into the Blanks that he creates so that they fit perfectly. However, you could supply your own leads but you would need to gently file and reshape them to ensure a snug fit.

I did have a couple of issues with one of the USB power packs which I stripped and fixed myself. I believe Mark now has an alternative supply option. My power back had some loose wiring (crimps) and might have been a one off but credit to Mark as he was quick to offer a replacement but I had already fixed the problem myself.

Anyway, how I did it...

First, I took the glove box out to give access. You can see below where I routed the USBs

View attachment 111457

Once you have removed the factory USB and blank from the left you can separate the components using a thin knife.

View attachment 111458
This part is very fragile and can snap. If you break it and cannot reuse it then Mark can 3D print a new one for you. See below, it’s hard to tell the difference between the factory and the 3D printed one.

View attachment 111459

Once separated you can then run a USB extender from the original USB to the new blank on the driver side and then tape the unit behind the glove box out of sight.

Here is a picture of the blank on the driver side where the USB connector runs to.

View attachment 111460

I ran a USB to the comfort dash also (as per the first pic above).

Now I have CarPlay on the right hand side with fast charger on the left and middle and the cables are all neat and tidy.

View attachment 111461
That’s the sort of thing I have been looking for. How do you contact Mark?

Back