Adaptive Cruise Control - Retrofit?

J8mes

T6 Pro
I have a 2019 Highline T28. I notice that when I drive too close to the vehicle in front I get the warning on the dash that I'm too close.
I also have cruise control fitted as standard.
My question is as I have cruise control and the van is obviously picking up my distance to the vehicle in front can I activate adaptive cruise using Carista or VCDS?

Unfortunately there's more involved. Have a look at

Unfortunately there's more involved. Have a look at
Many thanks.
I think I will leave it. Sounds far too complex.

Reactions: mmi
Personally, I find the adaptive cruise control quite annoying and would switch it back to standard cruise if there was the option to do so.

With CC, I can let the van do the work and, as I approach a car, change lanes and overtake. But with ACC, you have to pay attention, because you don't realise the van is slowing down and suddenly you realise you're only doing 63mph.

It also won't overtake on the inside which, with so many people hogging the middle lane, I do all the time.

And when using it in stop/start traffic, it's really harsh. It can't read the road ahead, so really slams the brakes on rather than gently coasting to a stop. And then you need to put your foot on the brake anyway once it has come to a stop.

The only place it's really good is an A- road.

I use cruise less in my T6.1 than I did in my 5.1.

I have adaptive cruise on my Tiguan, and while it’s a good idea in principle, I find that it has the effect of pushing you backwards. For example, you’re on the motorway with it set to say 70mph, someone passes you and pulls back in front of you so the system senses the car in front and slows you down. Then another car does the same thing and the cycle starts again, effectively pushing you backwards. It’s not so noticeable when the roads are quiet, but on a busy motorway it gets quite annoying and I generally find myself turning it off.

I have adaptive cruise on my Tiguan, and while it’s a good idea in principle, I find that it has the effect of pushing you backwards. For example, you’re on the motorway with it set to say 70mph, someone passes you and pulls back in front of you so the system senses the car in front and slows you down. Then another car does the same thing and the cycle starts again, effectively pushing you backwards. It’s not so noticeable when the roads are quiet, but on a busy motorway it gets quite annoying and I generally find myself turning it off.
On Acc you can set the distance zones on MFD So if a vehicle cuts in ahead of the zone it does slow you But not as quick..also got told ( I’ve used it ) when you indicate with ACC the vehicle will speed up to the set point for overtaking ( if stuck in slow traffic and a lane is clear )
works well in road works ...especially when someone thinks 48 is 50 :)

i have ACC on my car, great when crawling in traffic. when on motorways the game changes to try and do the lane change before ACC slows you down...id have it on the van given the choice...its just something you have to use a bit to get used it.

The other situation you have to override it is when someone in front turns off. As a driver, I can see them turning and know what I can continue at the current speed. But the ACC slams the brakes on and takes ages to decide the car is no longer in front.

I'm guessing the van can't distinguish between the car slowing to go round a bend (that I would then also go round) and a car turning off and no longer being of concern.

I do wonder how many times I've effed and jeffed at the car in front for driving like an idiot is actually as a result of their adaptive cruise control.

i have ACC on my car, great when crawling in traffic. when on motorways the game changes to try and do the lane change before ACC slows you down...id have it on the van given the choice...its just something you have to use a bit to get used it.

I just wish there was the option to de-activate the 'adaptive' part and just use it as standard cruise control if desired.

There are a few tech things that I will miss when my Tiguan goes, mainly the adaptive dashboard, large screen Discover Pro Nav and the electronic parking brake with auto hold, but I can’t say that I will miss the ACC really, normal cruise will do me fine.

I just wish there was the option to de-activate the 'adaptive' part and just use it as standard cruise control if desired.

I suppose the danger with that would be people belting along the motorway at 80mph towards the back of a queue thinking they were on adaptive when they weren’t.

There are a few tech things that I will miss when my Tiguan goes, mainly the adaptive dashboard, large screen Discover Pro Nav and the electronic parking brake with auto hold, but I can’t say that I will miss the ACC really, normal cruise will do me fine.
Leading on from that..it’s part of the reason why the T6.1 Has electro mechanical steering which allows other safety stuff carried over from cars to be included.......it’s all leading to taking the driver out of the equation ( Cause we humans aren’t safe ) :geek:

Does anyone know if this is possible on the T6.1? Is it just coding or do I need some hardware aswell?

I love using cruise control, but unfortunately the amount of knob jockeys on the roads makes it hard work ad I'm constantly turning the cruise on and off to avoid these idiots!

Wish I'd specced it now!

More info here...

Does anyone know if this is possible on the T6.1? Is it just coding or do I need some hardware aswell?

I love using cruise control, but unfortunately the amount of knob jockeys on the roads makes it hard work ad I'm constantly turning the cruise on and off to avoid these idiots!

Wish I'd specced it now!

Back