A Plan

I’m got insured with Adrian flux then all the paperwork started coming through asking me to sign my life away, I tried A-plan as a last min quote & ended up cancelling Adrian Flux as A-Plan were so helpful

Ok yup....im fortunate enough to have an alarmed garage to keep my 'money pit' in whilst at home.
They agreed my valuation within about 5 minutes!...Flux took about 5 weeks with my car!:cool:
So you agreed to garage the van every night? I won’t do that as when possible we are away travelling, parking up all over the place.

So you agreed to garage the van every night? I won’t do that as when possible we are away travelling, parking up all over the place.
Yes while at home, thats what they said. Obviously whilst we are away with the van we are with the van...guess there may be the very odd occasion we may splash out on a B&B as a treat but that would be very few and far between and worth a slight risk....got to live on the edge sometimes!

If you read the small print of insurance policies (ever one I have checked) it says something like (I cant remember the exact wording): Must be garaged by 10pm or be parked over a mile from the insured address. Basically it must be garaged overnight if you are at home. It doesn't need to be garaged if you (and the van) are not at home.

Morning fellow Van-ites....Just arranged my insurance this morning with A-Plan who I thought were very helpful (thanks Ibrahim)...very competitive too, £400 pa, with limited miles and with hopefully an agreed valuation of 52K (TBC) at no extra cost...where as Flux wanted £150 just to do the AV.!!
No mention of a Tracker being required, unlike some other insurance companies wanted for that valuation. I might get one fitted in time though, although not a cheap thing to have fitted, and the ongoing cost pa. Peace of mind I guess with such a money pit! :)
We've just insured our third vehicle with A Plan (my T6, my wife's T25 and now a Toyota IQ - which would almost fit in the back of the T6). Well worth getting a quote from them.

Hi all, really helpful feed. With A-Plan and just getting quoted for a renewal (second year) @£430. Question: Is there any truth in a whisper I heard that you can change the classification of the vehicle (away from commercial / light goods) if you convert it; to bring the insurance down? Got a T30 Kombi pretty much as factory standard.

Glad I came across this thread as my insurance renewal is due later this month, my A-Plan quote is £50 cheaper than Brentacre and my compulsory excess is also £100 less.
The Brentacre quote is unfortunately spoiled by their £65 admin fee! Shame as I've had no problems with them in the last two years.

Always good to shop around :thumbsup:

I have just renewed my insurance which was due for renewal Sunday, they tried to increase the policy so I moved to Esure and saved 30%. I told Comfort Insurance and they cancelled the policy there and then. I only came to light when they sent me my NCB without the additional year. Absolute sham of a company, won’t be dealing with them whilst I have a hole in my a**e

With all insurance policies the most important thing is how they handle claims. Do they answer the phone, do they use small irregularities to evade paying, do they pay out quickly? Much more important than saving a bit on premiums.

Always found A plan best for the van. If you ask they seem to be fairly open to discounts on the admin fee, normally £40, always managed to get this reduced by 50% to £20.

I’ve used A-plan for my last two vans (T5.1 with mods and Ford connect) and they were excellent. Got my T6.1 in May last year and went with Brentacre as A-plan couldn’t get close to the price. So far Brentacre have been brill as I have the van lowered and no increase in premium and good customer service.

I had a Which Magazine membership, out of all motor insurers listed NFU Mutual were top of the game.

Hi all, really helpful feed. With A-Plan and just getting quoted for a renewal (second year) @£430. Question: Is there any truth in a whisper I heard that you can change the classification of the vehicle (away from commercial / light goods) if you convert it; to bring the insurance down? Got a T30 Kombi pretty much as factory standard.
Do you mean the N1 listing on the V5C?

Can't be changed I believe, even if converted to a camper with a high top.

Do you mean the N1 listing on the V5C?

Can't be changed I believe, even if converted to a camper with a high top.

Exactly right, CAB. Wasn’t sure if there was anything you could do that would change from N1 to (I think) M1? Thanks for confirming.

Reactions: CAB
Just dealt with Thea at A PLAN Thatcham.........superb!

Paid a bit more for it than with exiting insurer but old for new included no problems.:)

Last edited:
Just dealt with Thea at A PLAN Thatcham.........superb!

Paid a bit more for it than with exiting insurer but old for new included no problems.:)
Who are the underwriters? Do they have a good reputation for service and not quibbling to avoid paying out? Just as important in my as a cheap premium.

hi all, I’m trying to insure my 6.1 highline at the moment and they’ve asked me what category thatcham alarm it has. I’ve tried my dealership and they think it’s Cat 2 and I’ve called and emailed thatcham directly but seem to be pulled from pillar to post. Anyone know if it’s Cat 1 or 2

I am in the process of obtaining insurance for my van and contacted A plan. The initial call took over 1 hour . I was put on hold a number of times. Today I had a query with the quote and I called back. Yet another 25mins waiting to speak to someone. Currently on hold again!!!! All I can say is, it's painful trying to telephone them. Having said that the actual quote was very good.

I did give them some helpful feedback !!!!

Back