Query on NCD use

DreamingT6s

T30 150bhp T6
VIP Member
Hi - i recently got a great quote from justkampers but they have now rejected my No Claims Discount as the previous insurance it is from has not expired. Basically I was using my renewal quote from my main car insurance as proof of No Claims. Is it normal that you cannot use your history on one policy for another? It feels that this would then unfairly punish people with a second car / van as they then have to start with no discount or, am I missing something?

Will call them tomorrow but just thought I'd check the forum hive mind first;)

Yes, that is correct. I got caught by this when I needed to insure another car alongside my usual one.

However, I do have NCD on the T6 as well as my day to day car, which I can carryover to the replacement van.

Pete

Thanks @Pete C - that confirms it. Luckily the missus sold her Touran last year and she has same NCD from that policy so may simply ask them to flip the insurance to her rather than me (she's already a named driver on the new policy). Hopefully that'll keep them happy

Standard procedure. You can only have one NCD on one vehicle. We have another vehicle apart from the van. That’s in the missus’s name, the van is in my name, hence 2 NCDs.

I had to have two separate NCD for the van and car policys (van is commercial policy)

Once I needed to request a proof of ncd from one company to another.... They sent me an email detailing the mount if years via a email.

Just remember that it’s more of a discount rather than a genuine NCD- so if you change insurers they may well not accept that 4 years- which happened to me ☹️
Yeah, that’s why I’ve stayed with Brentacre so far. Although, the premium has been static for the two renewals so far. I’ll see what surprise June brings.
Although, the car that has the actual NCD is getting sold when we get home so I’ll have the real NCD to use.

Just remember that it’s more of a discount rather than a genuine NCD- so if you change insurers they may well not accept that 4 years- which happened to me ☹️
That's a great point.

When matching/mirroring NCD, they're giving you the discount, not the years, so if you start with no NCD, your proof of bonus at first renewal will show 1 year (subject, of course, to no claims having been made).

This also means they probably won't allow you to protect your NCB either, as there's nothing to protect.

Very comforting, I must give them a try next year, presuming they give an AV?
Actually, I don't know if Comfort offer AV or not. What they do offer though is "new for old" if the van is written-off when under 3 years old. That actually makes things really easy for me as there's no to-ing and fro-ing trying to agree a price and I'd be fully covered even if inflation went bonkers again.

How they would go about supplying a new van given production is about to cease, I really don't know - just hope they don't think I'm going to accept a Transitstien's Monster!

Back