A Fishy Tale

slocumjoseph

The Ancient Mariner
VIP Member
T6 Guru
The Pub is a good place for me to let off some steam. One of my projects during lockdown was to install an aquarium in some bookshelves containing my OS Explorer map collection. Always wanted one but in the past family and financial commitments never allowed. I was pleased with the result and now about eighteen months later I’m proud to show it off and have hardly lost a fish. Until last night, about 2.0am. Disaster! I was just picking off another batch of the irritating micro snails that creep all over the glass when the corner seal parted. I grabbed the two sides to try and hold it together which was a bit like holding back the dam. Trouble was…what now? Still had about sixty litres pressing out and it took both hands. No one to call and I live on a first floor flat so couldn’t just let it all gush straight out. I lost about half a gallon reaching for the rubbish bin but it’s not big enough and not waterproof. I had no choice. I let go and ran to the kitchen where there’s a 30ltr beer making bucket. Was back at the speed of light but about two gallons was on the floor. Thought I would lose all the water and of course all the fish but luckily the waterfall slowed down and left about four inches in the bottom. I’ve able to gaffer tape the split corner but obviously I’m not going to put any water back building the pressure up again. The fish are still alive so far but in a far too compressed area. My priority, this morning is to get hold of a replacement tank. Been trying Gumtree, Preloved, Facebook Marketplace and Shpock because I don’t have enough cash for a new one. I’ve followed up on half dozen but the size is critical for me and no luck yet. Meanwhile, my fish are in intensive care with very little time to live. Realistically, I’m not going to get a new tank in time. I think my best option is to give them away to a deserving owner. So before I call a local shop are any of you guys interested in a selection of tropical fish. London area. Two Pearl Gouramis, about four striped barbs, four lively little catfish (plecos) about a dozen neon tetras and some shrimp. Ps. I’ve had no irate neighbour complaining of water coming through his ceiling….yet.

Put all fish in the 30lt bucket with the filter, pump etc etc from fish tank and the will live - just check quility of water for 5/7 days in bucket.
Then empty tank, wash it out and get sealant from amazom or local fish shop and reseal tank (loads of videos on www) 48hrs later refill old tank and transfer fish a few days later. sealant cheap enough.

Back