6 Points for holding your phone - Holder Question

ehuplad

T6 Pro
Morning All,

As you can now get 6 points for holding your phone (amongst other things) while driving, does any body know of a good iPhone holder. Some of you must have none 'Heath Robinson' versions that we can install in our treasured vans.

Cheers

I have always rated the Brodit system of holders and mounting clips.

With the phone I ONLY use it if the vehicle has a proper BT handsfree system but I'm with Loz on Brodit - I have one in the van and the Subaru for our Satnav; very solid, very good.

Here's a thing for discussion;
Firstly I NEVER use the phone whilst driving it stays in the glove box plugged into the carplay cable.

Now the question;
On the radio the president of the AA said that even if stationary at traffic lights you could be prosecuted, but I was under the impression that the use of a mobile device offence we are discussing was a "Moving traffic violation" and if stationary at lights you are not moving. @Thogg ?

I don't actually touch mine; it also goes out of the way. But I will use functions via the stereo system such as skipping tracks on Spotify or answering calls.

Firstly I NEVER use the phone whilst driving it stays in the glove box plugged into the carplay cable.

@Loz That sounds like I should do that, I am guilty of using my phone when I shouldn't.
Removing temptation will be a good start and will prevent the need for holders.
Is the phone cable in the glovebox standard, custom or fed through?

Just have to be better disciplined until the T6 arrives in 4 months. At least the forum helps with the wait.

As said above, I never touch my phone when I am driving. Although I have Carplay it usually stays in my pocket and just connects via Bluetooth. One of the upsides of the MFSW is that you don't even have to take your hands off the wheel to answer or make a call, and the skip track button also works with Spotify over Bluetooth

Now the question;
On the radio the president of the AA said that even if stationary at traffic lights you could be prosecuted, but I was under the impression that the use of a mobile device offence we are discussing was a "Moving traffic violation" and if stationary at lights you are not moving. @Thogg ?

I was under the impression you had to be stationary and the engine turned off to use the phone. Saying that when I picked up my Cali the salesman said did I want to join my phone to the raido and I just gave home my phone and two secs late up comes my contact list on the screen. Must say it works a treat and I presume the funny thing above my head is the mic. The thing connects as soon as I get in the van and is in my pocket all the time.
I hate to think how many people I see with phones attached to their ears, maybe they should see that film of that idiot :mad: who wiped out that family along the A34 just up the road from where I work

I've got both of the brodit mounts in mine.

The one up top I've got holding my lighting controller & and the lower one infront of the heated window switch I've got a 7+ active mount plugged into the USB behind for the car play. Its a really good solution but as per this thread https://www.t6forum.com/threads/relocate-dash-switches.1830/#post-30184 the switches for the hazards and the heated screen are not that accessible.

Mmm, the A34 incident is very close to home in that we attended, and I had officers at the scene, that we needed to support after it. If ever there should be a video campaign to stop pissing around with your phone whilst driving. Those that have seen the clip - the footage actually goes on further than what you get to see!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember, that driver was not even talking on the phone!
With regard to being stationary or otherwise, whilst @Thogg will give us the definitive I ponder whether it is about being 'in charge' of the vehicle. For example people have been charged for drink driving when sat in the drivers seat with the keys in the ignition, but not having driven anywhere, sleeping it off in the carpark, as they are classified as being in charge of that vehicle and are unfit to be so. Perhaps this is the same in that you are not paying due care and attention if sat at a set of traffic lights and you are using your phone???

I use a Brodit mount for my iPhone. It's worth every penny. I rely on my phone for navigation so having a brodit mount and my phone connected via Bluetooth is essential to me.

Brodit in mine as well
I do a lot of motorway driving and the amount of idiots I see on there phones between there legs doing god knows what is unreal. They should also have there phones taken off them at once as well as the points and fine.

Last edited:
Although people holding a phone get my goat, it's texting that it is truly scary! The number of times I have seen people (mainly women it has to be said) driving while clearly texting and looking down at their phone for up to 5 secs at a time. If something happened in front of them they wouldn't have a chance of stopping :eek:

Should be a instant ban just as drink driving. Its the same in my eyes. There no excuse in car/vans today theye all set up for hands free if you have to use your phone + with voice control it will even read your texts out if you needs be.

Last edited:
Sorry only just seen this. The offence is "using a hand held device" using means interacting in any way with it for the purposes of communication.. (there is an argument to be had surrounding this, however if you aren't caught for the technical bit of using there is still plenty of scope within the definition of due care for a prosecution) with regards to being stationary at lights etc you are in charge of the vehicle and therefore should be in a position to take evasive action (think emergency service vehicle approaching)
Really it's super simple. Turn it off. Put it in the boot. Lock it in the glove box. Whatever. Just don't use it when you are behind the wheel.....

Sorry only just seen this. The offence is "using a hand held device" using means interacting in any way with it for the purposes of communication.. (there is an argument to be had surrounding this, however if you aren't caught for the technical bit of using there is still plenty of scope within the definition of due care for a prosecution) with regards to being stationary at lights etc you are in charge of the vehicle and therefore should be in a position to take evasive action (think emergency service vehicle approaching)
Really it's super simple. Turn it off. Put it in the boot. Lock it in the glove box. Whatever. Just don't use it when you are behind the wheel.....

Ah but, what about Airwaves though?

Back