6.1 OEM bike rack - electric tailgate

toptetra

T5.1 WAV
VIP Member
Waiting for my 6.1 shuttle and need some advice on bike carriers, please.

My spec includes an electric tailgate, which I've not had before. I can see the "Version 2" OEM rack is meant to be suitable, but do I need to get the uprated struts? Does the electric tailgate even use the same struts?

Also, is OEM the only option?

Deaky

On yer bike
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
The struts are what open the tailgate, you can't change them. It does state that Version 2 is compatible with an electric tailgate so you should be OK. It wont lift with bikes attached though.

Eli

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I looked into this and was told version 2 was the only option. when I asked why as I think version 1 looks better they couldn't give me a definitive answer. Also on VW's site they only offered version 1 ?

toptetra

T5.1 WAV
VIP Member
I looked into this and was told version 2 was the only option. when I asked why as I think version 1 looks better they couldn't give me a definitive answer. Also on VW's site they only offered version 1 ?
Was thinking the same, the two versions listed on Vanstyle's site are both 15kg so not a weight thing.

Eli

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Looks like version 1 and no mention of not being for electric tailgate
B90E4B85-AF32-4A9F-857A-CFAB55354C4C.png

Eli

VIP Member
T6 Legend
You can’t upgrade the struts on the electric tailgate. It just won’t open with bikes on.
I think we are just try
Can I ask is your velle Mojave over black ? Or iridium grey, I can’t tell from the pic . Looks amazing. I have toyed with 2toning my black lwb .and I’ve always been an admirer of the Mojave!
grey over black