6.1 OEM bike rack - electric tailgate

toptetra

T6.1 WAV
Waiting for my 6.1 shuttle and need some advice on bike carriers, please.

My spec includes an electric tailgate, which I've not had before. I can see the "Version 2" OEM rack is meant to be suitable, but do I need to get the uprated struts? Does the electric tailgate even use the same struts?

Also, is OEM the only option?

The struts are what open the tailgate, you can't change them. It does state that Version 2 is compatible with an electric tailgate so you should be OK. It wont lift with bikes attached though.

I looked into this and was told version 2 was the only option. when I asked why as I think version 1 looks better they couldn't give me a definitive answer. Also on VW's site they only offered version 1 ?

I looked into this and was told version 2 was the only option. when I asked why as I think version 1 looks better they couldn't give me a definitive answer. Also on VW's site they only offered version 1 ?
Was thinking the same, the two versions listed on Vanstyle's site are both 15kg so not a weight thing.

Looks like version 1 and no mention of not being for electric tailgate
B90E4B85-AF32-4A9F-857A-CFAB55354C4C.png

You can’t upgrade the struts on the electric tailgate. It just won’t open with bikes on.
I think we are just try
Can I ask is your velle Mojave over black ? Or iridium grey, I can’t tell from the pic . Looks amazing. I have toyed with 2toning my black lwb .and I’ve always been an admirer of the Mojave!
grey over black

Coming back to this thread and question proposed by Eli; I have on order a caravelle (ordered Oct 20 due this month) with an electric tailgate and wanting to fit the Thule Wanderway 2 bike rack, but I’m being told by a Thule agent it won’t fit electric tailgates.
So the question is still.....why? Logically if the fittings are the same and it’s lighter being a 2 bike rack.
VW version 2 - 4 bar bike rack made by Montblonc will work with electric tailgates.
VW version 1 - 4 bar back rack made by Thule not recommended with electric tailgate
Not really interested in an electric tailgate and would have it disabled but the VW agent is saying they don’t think this can be done without throwing up a fault on the dash
Surely there are people out there with vans fitted with the VW version 1 and the Wanderway 2 and oblivious to this recommendation and don’t have a problem!!

4B7D2654-5DCB-478C-885C-B1EB5406A61C.png

084DD421-0DEF-456F-82AD-655116A7F179.png

I can’t see any reason why that won’t work? Just don’t lift with anything on it.

Thanks, That appears to be the only conclusion.....hoping Thule officially come back and approve though its 2 weeks since I asked the question!
I asked Thule the same question 6 months ago and the never responded. The Wanderway is a couple of KGs lighter than any of the VW options. The only reason why I didn’t buy any of them is that because it tow a caravan and I wasn’t convinced there was enough clearance when turning when towing the caravan

I asked Thule the same question 6 months ago and the never responded. The Wanderway is a couple of KGs lighter than any of the VW options. The only reason why I didn’t buy any of them is that because it tow a caravan and I wasn’t convinced there was enough clearance when turning when towing the caravan
Thanks, “I asked Thule the same question 6 months ago and the never responded”......maybe it’ll be filed as live in hope then or a member will post to say used one for....and no problems

Hello,

Did anyone in this thread get a conclusive answer? I'd be keen to know!

I have a T6 with electric tailgate. I called a few companies selling both versions. I got an answer from TransporterHQ... Version 1 has the potential to crack the rear lights due to shape and way it pulls in.

So I went with the version 2. But prefer look of version 1 and... Still not overly convinced by the answer I got and lack of answer from others.

Hi I understand this has been asked before but really like look of Thule wanderway 2. I have asked both Thule and VW if rack is compatible with power rear door and cannot get answer. Has anyone actually fitted one and had trouble? Also apart from weight which should not matter why would it be ok on none power door but not on power door, are there any differences on how door closes etc.
Thanks for any feedback

I’ve had the Thule Wanderway on my 6.1 with an electric tailgate and had not problems for the 7 months it’s been fitted and used with 2 bikes on, however I never lift the tailgate with the bikes on anyway. The suggestions why it’s not recommended ranged from… it won’t lift with the rack on as its heavier - it’s slightly lighter than the VW equivalents, to, it can crack the light fitting - no issues here either.

Back