4Motion or 2WD with winter-tyres?

AdventureJim89

hi guys just after a bit of advice. does anyone have any experience driving to ski resorts in their vw? thinking more Europe. if so, would you recommend a 4motion T6 or just a normal 2wd with all terrain tyres with option of snow chains for worst case scenario?
thank you

I would just say that you should look for dedicated winter tyres not all terrain as these can be summer tyres.

In previous threads it has been correctly pointed out that the right tyres are the single biggest factor in driving on snow / ice or other low traction situations, and a 2WD with the right tyres will be more capable than a 4Motion with standard road tyres.
But it is often forgotten that you can put the right tyres on a 4Motion too, and when a 4Motion and a 2WD T6 both have the right tyres on the 4Motion will be more capable.

4 motion gives you better grip when pulling away and general driving, but it doesn't help when braking. Proper tyres do. Help with cornering too

hi guys just after a bit of advice. does anyone have any experience driving to ski resorts in their vw? thinking more Europe. if so, would you recommend a 4motion T6 or just a normal 2wd with all terrain tyres with option of snow chains for worst case scenario?
thank you
If it’s just for an annual trip to a ski resort then I wouldn’t worry about it. Just keep the normal tyres on and carry a set of snow chains, that’s what I do and have not been caught out yet.

On previous vehicles I’ve got stuck a couple of times, once I just put the snow chains on and then drove straight out. On another occasion in England I didn’t have chains with me but used the footwell mats in front of the wheels and then drove over them which was enough to get me out and moving again.

Further to Skyliners post, I can recall seeing an article in Auto Express (I think) a few years ago when they took a 4WD Skoda Yeti with summer tyres and a 2WD Yeti with winter tyres and did a side by side comparison in snowy conditions. IIRC, the results came out heavily in favour the 2WD / winter tyre combo.

Further to Skyliners post, I can recall seeing an article in Auto Express (I think) a few years ago when they took a 4WD Skoda Yeti with summer tyres and a 2WD Yeti with winter tyres and did a side by side comparison in snowy conditions. IIRC, the results came out heavily in favour the 2WD / winter tyre combo.
I don't really understand why they wouldn't make the test more comprehensive by including a test of the 4WD with winter tyres for comparison.

As stated by several people above, proper winter tyres (designed for temperatures below 7C) on a 2WD are better than summer tyres on a 4WD. I lived in Munich for 17 years and regularly drove into Austria for skiing. I had two 4WD Chrysler Voyagers with winter tyres and never had to use snow chains, only getting stuck when snow built up under the front lifting the wheels off the ground (& chains didn’t help here). I also had a couple of 2WD estates, and was forced to fit chains on a few occasions. Note, I always used winter tyres through the winter.
As has also been noted above, the security given by 4WD can be misleading when it comes to braking, as all vehicles have 4-wheel braking, so you have the same capabilities as anyone else. You can find yourself travelling too fast and not realising until you have to brake.
I drove to Austria a year ago in my 2WD van with winter tyres, including a bit of on-snow driving with no problems, as well as one snowy commute through the lakes and a day at Glencoe following a night time crossing of Rannoch Moor in the snow, without having to use my chains. Though I must say, that if VW sold a 4motion TSI in UK I would definitely have bought one.
69C946A8-C2E6-4566-B713-E00CB2A8043B.jpegBDD9FB1E-96A8-45AB-AD0E-A253836844DB.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh, and I would also say that winter tyres are compulsory in most Alpine countries in winter. If you are stopped or, worse, involved in an incident, the police will not look kindly on you and will most likely fine you. If you have an accident, not having winter tyres will automatically assign you the majority of the blame, even if it was patently not your fault. Be warned.

I do several trips to the Alps in the winter - always on winter tyres. Sometimes 4motion, and sometimes in a 2wd.
With the 4motion, even with heavy snow (1/2 metre +), I have never had to put chains on( As Shaun has said above) they are just awesome machines in all conditions.

The same conditions in a 2wd, and chains have to go on. The weight of the transporter and 8 occupants (VW Shuttle) make some roads, usually quite icey as well, undrivable even with snow tyres., just struggle with traction uphill. Chains or socks just give you added security when needed

I love the security of 4 motion and snow tyres - Which I know doesn't actually help answer your question, but whatever you take just stick snow tyres on it

Second @Shaun Witts comment on the legality of winter tyres in many European countries.
Most of my driving has been in Austria and winter tyres are compulsory. The snowflake/mountain symbol has to be on the tyre I believe. Mostly I use All Season tyres with the right symbols and have only had to use socks getting to the flat which is up a short very steep hill. They keep the roads well cleared/prepared most of the time.

I would just say that you should look for dedicated winter tyres not all terrain as these can be summer tyres.
Plenty of AT tyres have All-Seasons M&S & 3PMSN designation. you just need to check each tyre out.

ah ah, yes when you say "dedicated winter tyres" you didn't mean "full winters"? or did you?
All-Seasons aren't dedicated winter tyres, but are 3pmsn, and are suitable for some winter uses. As dedicated winter tyres aren't really designed for summer use by definition.
I guess all I'm saying is dedicated winters mean different thing to different people? or does it?

I hope this clears the matter up :thumbsup:;)

ah ah, yes when you say "dedicated winter tyres" you didn't mean "full winters"? or did you?
All-Seasons aren't dedicated winter tyres, but are 3pmsn, and are suitable for some winter uses. As dedicated winter tyres aren't really designed for summer use by definition.
I guess all I'm saying is dedicated winters mean different thing to different people? or does it?

I hope this clears the matter up :thumbsup:;)
I meant tyres that were meant for use in winter. Either could be all season or full winter. In this country I would use all season.
If I was going up to a ski resort I probably would choose winter.
Clear as mud now lol.

I meant tyres that were meant for use in winter. Either could be all season or full winter. In this country I would use all season.
If I was going up to a ski resort I probably would choose winter.
Clear as mud now lol.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
All clear now, let's Crack ~On.

And just to recomplicate it :think smile bounce: "snow tyres" often mean something different to mainland Europeans too, as many of them get to use studded tyres that aren't legal here. I've driven on these fairly often in Finland and they make a HUGE difference even over winters, especially for braking and when you need more traction on ice.

And just to recomplicate it :think smile bounce: "snow tyres" often mean something different to mainland Europeans too, as many of them get to use studded tyres that aren't legal here. I've driven on these fairly often in Finland and they make a HUGE difference even over winters, especially for braking and when you need more traction on ice.
I'm way out of my depth now, but when I read about driving in snow in North America on un-snow ploughed roads they tend to use really chunky off-road tyres (sometimes studded), and regular winter studded tyres are more suitable for cleared roads which may be icy?

Back