4motion capability

Jwoodhea1

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Can anyone that has a 4motion advise on capability on slippery/muddy inclines?

We have a holiday home in Shropshire that has a b access track with a moderate incline. In winter it's wet and muddy. Front wheel drive cars won't get up it at all this time of year (see pic of my old Toyota getting dragged out)... Soft roaders like honda CRV on all season tyres have been fine.

I havnt attempted it in my t6 yet and would rather not get stuck trying.

So I'm after advice from anyone that has direct experience. My van is a LWB T6 204 4motion dsg. No manual difflock, 255/45 19 summer tyres. I do have a set of snow chains for it which would help.

The surface is grass over hardpack stone. There's no clearance or bogging issues (unless I put in in the ditch like the Toyota .

Any advice would be welcomed. I'm going tomorrow so fitting alternative wheels/tyres isn't an option.

Its not the end of the world if its not capable, Its just a 50m walk down. The local farmer is friendly for tow although I'm not sure he'd be so keen with the weight of the van!

Thanks.

Screenshot_20211208-084458_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20211208-084601_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Nice van there @Jwoodhea1 :thumbsup:

On 4Mo - one of the key items are the tyres. If winter tyres or even all seasons with good tread, the 4MO is very capable. That track in the pic is more steep than what appears in the pic. It will be a doddle with 4MO.

Summer tyres may not cut it.

EDIT: on direct experience, yes, taken it on pretty slippery and broken tracks - currently running Nokian WR SUV 4 and would not hesitate to take it off road.

Yes it is pretty steep. Id expect chains would do the trick but I'd rather not mess about with them in the mud while my wife points and laughs.

Nice van there @Jwoodhea1 :thumbsup:

On 4Mo - one of the key items are the tyres. If winter tyres or even all seasons with good tread, the 4MO is very capable. That track in the pic is more steep than what appears in the pic. It will be a doddle with 4MO.

Summer tyres may not cut it.

EDIT: on direct experience, yes, taken it on pretty slippery and broken tracks - currently running Nokian WR SUV 4 and would not hesitate to take it off road.
Thanks. That's good to know. For reference on incline here a summer pic. It just gets very slick in winter.

Screenshot_20211208-090745_Gallery.jpg

one of the key items are the tyres.
Couldn't agree more, tyres are the key items!
If you're going tomorrow you might not have time to get some more suitable tyres for this visit but in the longer term it's a no brainer. There are plenty of threads on here about tyres for the conditions you'll face.
Your van looks lowered which might not be helpful if the track has a higher centre in places.

Couldn't agree more, tyres are the key items!
If you're going tomorrow you might not have time to get some more suitable tyres for this visit but in the longer term it's a no brainer. There are plenty of threads on here about tyres for the conditions you'll face.
Your van looks lowered which might not be helpful if the track has a higher centre in places.
Yep it's low but the track is level, no grounding issue. I'll go all season for the next batch of tyres (which won't be long with the rate it's munching them!) So I'll have to see how brave I'm feeling this time round. From what I gather chains are as good as all terrain tyres for mud.

a 2WD van with mud tyres will do better than your 4wd on summer tyres.
Totally agree and can confirm from experience

Can anyone that has a 4motion advise on capability on slippery/muddy inclines?

We have a holiday home in Shropshire that has a b access track with a moderate incline. In winter it's wet and muddy. Front wheel drive cars won't get up it at all this time of year (see pic of my old Toyota getting dragged out)... Soft roaders like honda CRV on all season tyres have been fine.

I havnt attempted it in my t6 yet and would rather not get stuck trying.

So I'm after advice from anyone that has direct experience. My van is a LWB T6 204 4motion dsg. No manual difflock, 255/45 19 summer tyres. I do have a set of snow chains for it which would help.

The surface is grass over hardpack stone. There's no clearance or bogging issues (unless I put in in the ditch like the Toyota .

Any advice would be welcomed. I'm going tomorrow so fitting alternative wheels/tyres isn't an option.

Its not the end of the world if its not capable, Its just a 50m walk down. The local farmer is friendly for tow although I'm not sure he'd be so keen with the weight of the van!

Thanks.

View attachment 138646

View attachment 138647
I'm in Shropshire, drive loads off road in mud and snow, towing a big trailer...4Motion DSG swb with 235 55 18 General Grabber AT3s
Why not try before you buy and try mine on your track??

For a 50m long track a front wheel drive being reversed is as good as rear wheel drive.
Spending a few quid on the track with hardcore would be cheaper than wrecking the van.

Last edited:
Back