4motion-ing the roads less travelled...

I travel with my van into quite remote places but only have FWD. I have raised the van for good clearance but always have to be mindful of soft sand or deep mud.
I carry recovery tracks and a shovel and uhf radio and so far have only been bogged once and got myself out luckily.
4 motion would certainly be an advantage sometimes.
I must admit that if we are camped in an area that has dirt roads and rains overnight it gets the adrenaline going until we hit a bitumen road again.
This picture was a wet road of 200 kms and i didn't relax till we got to the main road.
View attachment 233459View attachment 233461
200km? We're lucky in the UK to get 2km! Pictures look amazing... in many cases 2wd is usually more than adequate... good tyres and sensible driving are usually more important!
Van looks great and always enjoy a decent trailer set up.. any more detailed pics to share?

FD

Hello everyone,

So, after several years exploring roads less traveled across the UK and Europe in my little jeep and trusty tent, I thought it time to switch it up a level and get myself something a little bigger, a little comfier and a whole lot more T6!

Its got a simple, practical interior based around the brilliant Titan mid-mounted bed...set up more as "van you can camp in" than an out-and-out camper, but well suited to the muck and dust and general style of travel I do. Mechanically, a 35 mm lift from Transporter HQ, which, combined with the factory fit diff lock (a rare thing to find on a T6 it turned out) is perfect for my needs...trial runs on some local greenlanes have shown some very promising results - plenty of that to come.

Anyway , some pictures below and a link to a short 'making of video' if you fancy!

Hope you like it, and look forward to sharing our adventures with you over the coming months.

View attachment 212149
View attachment 212150
View attachment 212151
View attachment 212152
Good morning,
Could you tell me how your ladder is fixed to the door?
I'm looking for this system to install a locker and put a canoe in it.
Something not too expensive.
Thank you

Hello there!

Took a while to find a ladder that worked with a glazed barn door but eventually found this:

I particularly liked that it was a 'no drill' fitting. it clips over the top of the door and has a clamp at the bottom. There is a link to a vid on the site that shows the close up of how this works (and some of the cool bolt on storage options too)

At £260 it wasn't cheap, cheap but happy with its value for money...really well built and sturdy...use quite a bit. 90kg of me is probably a lot less than your canoe!

I have just finished some mounts so I can attach my recovery boards and shovel on there and the plan is to strap a Coleman canoe to the roof too...watch this space

Let me know how how you get on with your solution.

FD

Hello there!

Took a while to find a ladder that worked with a glazed barn door but eventually found this:

I particularly liked that it was a 'no drill' fitting. it clips over the top of the door and has a clamp at the bottom. There is a link to a vid on the site that shows the close up of how this works (and some of the cool bolt on storage options too)

At £260 it wasn't cheap, cheap but happy with its value for money...really well built and sturdy...use quite a bit. 90kg of me is probably a lot less than your canoe!

I have just finished some mounts so I can attach my recovery boards and shovel on there and the plan is to strap a Coleman canoe to the roof too...watch this space

Let me know how how you get on with your solution.

FD
Thank you very much for all this information.
I'll be sure to keep you informed.

Back