4motion-ing the roads less travelled...

FaithfulDonkey

4motioning the road less travelled
T6 Pro
Hello everyone,

So, after several years exploring roads less traveled across the UK and Europe in my little jeep and trusty tent, I thought it time to switch it up a level and get myself something a little bigger, a little comfier and a whole lot more T6!

Its got a simple, practical interior based around the brilliant Titan mid-mounted bed...set up more as "van you can camp in" than an out-and-out camper, but well suited to the muck and dust and general style of travel I do. Mechanically, a 35 mm lift from Transporter HQ, which, combined with the factory fit diff lock (a rare thing to find on a T6 it turned out) is perfect for my needs...trial runs on some local greenlanes have shown some very promising results - plenty of that to come.

Anyway , some pictures below and a link to a short 'making of video' if you fancy!

Hope you like it, and look forward to sharing our adventures with you over the coming months.

lowres3.JPG
lowres4.jpg
lowres5.jpg
lowres6.jpg

Thanks all. As it was all nice and shiny, I thought it a good idea to take it out for a quick test run on a couple of local unpaved roads ('Greenlanes') - there's still a few around in the UK if you know where to look (check out if Green Lane Association UK if you are interested).

One lane in particular was a little more over grown than I remember. Fortunately the roof rack took the brunt of the beating...and T-Cut later dealt with the rest!

I'm now thinking about some 'overlandy' vinyl graphics to cover up some of the deeper scratches and take the brunt of anything new. Any suggests for designs greatly appreciated :)

piccy3.jpg

piccy9.jpgpiccy8.jpg

See this is why I have an XC70 that has a deep patina finish. Horses for courses. :rofl:

The mechanics might be on top of the job but your paintwork is going to take a beating, so some vinyl or PPF is going to be a good thing...

Last edited:
haha! ...possibly not the best horse for this course (I have to remember this isn't my Jeep!) but other than a bit of impromptu hedge cutting with the roof rack (is it an MOT issue to have rotating blades fitted?) the bus did really well and, after a polish, not really any battle scars!

Hello all again,

More out and about adventures in the van. This time a remake of a video I did a few years ago where, for some random reason, I drove a gnarly greenlane over a Derbyshire moor just to make a cream tea in the back of my Jeep. This time equipped with the 4Motion, an Omnia Oven and an actual fridge and in a brisk wind, I did it all over again!
(There's a link to the original video at the end if you can bear to watch for that long!!).

loweres.jpg

Snapshot(1).jpg

Snapshot3.jpg

I know the place well.... the picture below is at the top of the B6001 end on the same day. The Faithful Donkey went up and down the steep bit no problem at all! I have a bit of video evidence I will cut together to prove and remind me how impressed with van I was :).

Happy laning!

snap2.jpg

Hello there again,

I hadn't realised how long it's been since I posted anything...quite a bit to catch up on, although the rubbish weather has limited things a little. Anyway, here's the faithful donkey pootling along some more Derbyshire trails to whet the appetite for more things to come this year...

You see just when I think I've come to terms with not having AWD after a decade+ of XC70s I see another video of yours and wonder if we should have stuck out for a 4Motion Caravelle...

Lovely van :thumbsup:

You see just when I think I've come to terms with not having AWD after a decade+ of XC70s I see another video of yours and wonder if we should have stuck out for a 4Motion Caravelle...

Lovely van :thumbsup:
Many thanks! With care, dryish conditions, decent tyres and not going 'low' there are plenty of off tarmac toads to explore with 2WD so all is not lost :cool:.

But be warned, we're off the the alps in the summer where the diff lock is going to be very handy, so don't blame me if you start trawling Autotrader after seeing the pics!

FD

Hi....liked the video....what tyres are they on Faithful Donkey? Cheers.
Thanks Graham. The tyres are Hankook RA30 Vantra AS2 215/60 r17c.. they dont have the chunky charm of BFGs or similar but are excellent on the road and on the trail. Will be posting the next video soon, trawling through horrendous mud on Salisbury Plain where they did brilliantly well. Watch this space!
FD

Hello again fans of my over-landing (sort of) adventures,

Here is the last catch up of my adventures over the winter - which have been significantly curtailed by the rubbish weather. This time crossing a very muddy, wet and miserable Salisbury Plain. Avoided (just about) getting stuck, un-exploded ordnance and being fired upon by tanks and other artillery.
When the weather is drier, definitely worth an explore - there are many miles of legally drive-able gravel tracks which would be navigable in any not-too-lowered 2WD T6. Check out Salisbury Plain: greenlaning for details (especially how to avoid getting blown up in a military exercise).

FD

Oh, and in case anyone notices the CB Aerial on the back, I've posted something on this here... (if any of you are under the age of about 40, you may have to ask a grown up what one of those is :confused:). Who knows, maybe those of you who like to travel in convoy could stage a revival????

And, you guessed it, there is a short video on that too!

Happy Sunday

FD

CB UHF radio is still common in Australia. Many 4wd, caravans, vans etc have one as it makes travelling easier as you can talk to semi trailers , caravans etc if you want to overtake.
Good in areas of poor or no phone coverage for safety if accidents or breakdown.
Trucks chatter between each other letting you know where dangers or congestion, etc is on the road and you can even learn a few new swearwords from some of them.
There is a dedicated highway channel 40 for trucks.
18 for caravans
So it's easy to call up a vehicle you want to communicate to.

CB UHF radio is still common in Australia. Many 4wd, caravans, vans etc have one as it makes travelling easier as you can talk to semi trailers , caravans etc if you want to overtake.
Good in areas of poor or no phone coverage for safety if accidents or breakdown.
Trucks chatter between each other letting you know where dangers or congestion, etc is on the road and you can even learn a few new swearwords from some of them.
There is a dedicated highway channel 40 for trucks.
18 for caravans
So it's easy to call up a vehicle you want to communicate to.
My son is out working as a geologist in WA at the moment...often has to radio truckers ahead of his ute... definatately has learned a whole new vocab of cussin', fff'n and jeff'n - all very friendly but totally unintelligible to delicate Brit ears :)

Think my 35mm lift and fairly standard tyres may be a bit tame for life in the Outback, but seen a few 4motions on YouTube braving the Aussie trails and beaches and looking good, so maybe one day! area you one of them?

FD

I travel with my van into quite remote places but only have FWD. I have raised the van for good clearance but always have to be mindful of soft sand or deep mud.
I carry recovery tracks and a shovel and uhf radio and so far have only been bogged once and got myself out luckily.
4 motion would certainly be an advantage sometimes.
I must admit that if we are camped in an area that has dirt roads and rains overnight it gets the adrenaline going until we hit a bitumen road again.
This picture was a wet road of 200 kms and i didn't relax till we got to the main road.
20220718_104045.jpg20220719_090032.jpg

Back