3rd Time Around... Indium Grey LWB

zombie_T6

T6 Guru
So I'm new here and thought I might try a build thread for my new (to me) T6.

I'm on my 3rd transporter now and each one has better than the last as I've learned to do things better each time.

Seeing as I have only just got my T6, I thought I would just put a little bit of my past in here to start it off.

Van 1, A White T4 that was great. 2.5 engine and went brilliantly.

11127-79a0f5c75ff9728ddb4980952c51e1ca.jpg

That did us great until the wife started seeing the T5 at shows! Suddenly the T4's days were numbered!

Van 2, When I told the wife I had just bought a T5 she was chuffed... Until I got home in it...

11128-79e85cefa7c14529307c0b0b87a10f89.jpg

11129-e3b867e73fd9d0bbea5ac29abf6954e5.jpg

11130-f398115608750764ad80fccbc6324720.jpg

Not quite the T5 she was expecting, and nothing like she had seen at the shows!
Still after a bit of hard work and many hours in the shed, this rolled out....

Van 2 Finished..
11131-2b1eaf8a817483cb8ba2bbf49ec44327.jpg

11132-20195bd8788838adc6c8cfd44b139597.jpg

11133-abef49c4bf522920fe06c6509a39a785.jpg

I must have changed almost everything on that T5. I did every job myself (except the respray) and loved it.

Then two weeks ago out of nowhere I decided it was time to sell. I had no more work left on her and we had been enjoying her for a year or so camping etc. She had been fully signed off as a camper conversion and now I was getting restless.

In all of 24hrs it was listed, and sold.

Van 3 T6

and now I'm back to square one with this...

11134-eadd84919180e9ae843baecc5a73218b.jpg

Really looking forward to getting stuck in again in a camper conversion... although the wife has insisted there is to be no pallet wood inside this van!

Plan is to update the thread as I go.... well thats the intention anyway!

This seems to be a great forum from what I can see and I'm looking forward to spending some time on here.

T4.jpg

2015-04-23 20.15.54.jpg

2015-04-23 20.16.01.jpg

2015-04-23 20.16.24.jpg

2016-09-16 09.59.13.jpg

20170714_151242.jpg

20170714_151250.jpg

20170729_173105.jpg

Welcome,
Looks like you did a lovely job on Van 2, I think the pallet wood looks very retro.
Looking forward to seeing your future work on the new one.

Excellent work with the 4 and 5, look forward to seeing the T6 evolve. Have to say I think the pallet wood looked brilliant, really different with a retro feel. Bet it was a bugger for splinters though!

Welcome. Like your T4 and what you did with the T5, looking forward to seeing what you come up with this time around :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, the pallets were great to work with and they were free as well. The whole unit cost about £80 to build. £30 Of that was on the yacht gloss finish. Building it yourself from scratch meant it could have as many cupboards as I wanted and where I wanted them.

Got a few ideas for the T6 and a couple of bits on order, but going to wait for busfest before I make and final decisions.

Welcome and thanks for posting your previous vans. I also really like the interior on your T5. Good luck with your 6

So the first change was made today thanks to @carlg
A new leather steering wheel to replace the plastic one that came with the van.

11298-ac5340e844b66339bad2e3a52f8ef5c5.jpg

After my holiday next week it's time to spend a bit of cash on the outside of the van :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20170803_141534[1].jpg
    20170803_141534[1].jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 25
So the first change was made today thanks to @carlg
A new leather steering wheel to replace the plastic one that came with the van.

View attachment 11291

After my holiday next week it's time to spend a bit of cash on the outside of the van :thumbsup:
Nice! Did you already have steering wheel controls or have you went from having none to having them? (I have none and trying to work out if this mod is possible)

Its possible but you have to install a couple cables to get them functioning but think you would need to check the button setup to get them working as there are a few flavours of wheels

Yeah I had the standard plastic wheel with no controls on it. This wheel has the radar CC option which my van also doesn't have. That said you can get an adaptor loom for around £23. I will probably have a look into this at some point but its not high on my list of jobs at the moment. Really only wanted the leather wheel :cool:

After my family holiday I have returned eager to crack on with the T6. The new wheels have arrived, still waiting for the tyres to turn up though. I have also collected my new RnR bed which I hope to get fitted soon so I can take the kids out with us. Last thing to order is suspension..... just need to trial the wheels to get an idea of the drop I'm gonna need.

Have also carried out an oil change, the van is on two year servicing but I'm not a fan of long life services. @12k miles I think it was best to change it.

This weekend will be the little jobs of de-badging the tail gate and full bulkhead removal. Then I will give her a full wash and clean....... seeing as I've yet to do it since buying it!

Lovely vans all round. That T5 looked really unique and defiantly retro, no wonder it sold so quickly when built to such high standards. Looking forward to seeing your T6 progressing.

So this week my new 19" wheels will get the tyres fitted Friday. The Vmaxx extreme coilovers also got delivered today. Not sure what to expect with them and not sure if I will hub mod straight away while I have it all stripped off.... will have to wait and see I guess.

Will post a few pictures when its all fitted.

So this week my new 19" wheels will get the tyres fitted Friday. The Vmaxx extreme coilovers also got delivered today. Not sure what to expect with them and not sure if I will hub mod straight away while I have it all stripped off.... will have to wait and see I guess.

Will post a few pictures when its all fitted.
Hub mod?

So go round to fitting the Vmaxx coilovers and new wheels and tyres today. The suspension was a right pain in the ass, had two rusted nuts on both drop links! vans only a year old... apart from spending an hour on these two nuts the job went fairly well.

Have set the front at 11 clicks and the rears at 4 clicks rebound and the ride seems OK. Started with the fronts wound right down on the steel wheels driving to get the tyres fitted to the new rims, but had to raise it over an inch on the front to stop rubbing.

Before...

before.jpg

After...

after.jpg

Next is the tailgate spoiler I hope to get at Busfest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had Vmax on the T5 set to softest setting all-round. Drop links are a b'stard, gave up trying to fit mine and got Merseyspeed to do it.

So after not doing anything to the van for a while I have had a little push on the start of the conversion. Stripped out the ply lining VW had fitted and then proceeded to Flashband the lower panels and insulate. Also got round to fitting a new floor.

Have left the upper panels for now while I decide if I'm going to install one window or two per side.

Must also get the tailgate spoiler I purchased from Travelinlite painted and fitted, had that a month now sat in the box :(

IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0053.JPG IMG_0064.JPG IMG_0065.JPG

Next up inside will be windows and Megavan mats Anthracite lining and a full length tailgate trim piece to hide and tidy the rear lino up........ but at this rate it wont be till Nov/Dec when I will also start building my own units and interior ready for Dubs at Stowford in May. The first trip away in her :thumbsup:

Back