3D Printed door-stop wanted

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
Without knowing the full capabilities of 3D printing, are there any experts that use this technology in here?

The picture below is out of my Motorhome and it basically stops the internal sliding door from sliding back and forth when driving and it's broken. (I have looked at different catches, but I cannot find anything suitable, that fits in the area the original one fits)
I've contacted the manufacture of the Motorhome in France, but they just don't reply, and my dealer is saying the clip is a 12 week wait, which might sound insane to most people but that isn't unusual for the Motorhome industry.

I'm wondering if I send this to a 3D printer expert, if they can scan the catch and replicate it, obviously with the broken part back on.

20200104_153226.jpg

Whats it made of mate?
How has it broken?

Plastic.
It's a really pathetic prong that should be protruding from one side of that plastic catch. I cannot find an image of what it should look like and I know in my head how it should work, just not sure how to explain it.

Unless you can think of an outside the box solution to stop the door shooting back and forth when I'm driving. The very basic way of stopping this is a crappy strap with press studs to secure the door, but that looks naff.

Without knowing the full capabilities of 3D printing, are there any experts that use this technology in here?

The picture below is out of my Motorhome and it basically stops the internal sliding door from sliding back and forth when driving and it's broken. (I have looked at different catches, but I cannot find anything suitable, that fits in the area the original one fits)
I've contacted the manufacture of the Motorhome in France, but they just don't reply, and my dealer is saying the clip is a 12 week wait, which might sound insane to most people but that isn't unusual for the Motorhome industry.

I'm wondering if I send this to a 3D printer expert, if they can scan the catch and replicate it, obviously with the broken part back on.

View attachment 57525
Easy enough to print that but it'll just break again in plastic unless you change the design. I'd get one knocked up out of ally at a local machine shop, show them where it broke and they'll tweak it when they machine it for you :thumbsup:

Thanks for the above suggestions, i've seen these already after hours of trying to find a better solution to what the manufacture fitted.
It's so limited for space where the catch needs to be, plus right next to the shower cubicle, making fixings an awkward situation.
I need to get some pictures of how it's mounted which will make it obvious what they problem is.

Easy enough to print that but it'll just break again in plastic unless you change the design. I'd get one knocked up out of ally at a local machine shop, show them where it broke and they'll tweak it when they machine it for you :thumbsup:

The original plastic one, although very basic in design did work and lasted 3 years. The prong only snapped because I was trying to tension it by slightly bending it backwards. Although I think you're right, and an aluminium one would be better, the reality is most engineering companies would just fob me off with such a tiny job, hence assuming the 3D route might be more simple.
Back to the drawing board, and the stupid rubber wedge that we have to jam into the bottom of the door to stop it moving whilst driving.

Or you could get it 3D printed in the carbon fibre stuff.

Im so tempted to but a 3D printer. Keep pestering the boss at work to buy one.

This might shed light on how it worked originally.

If you think of how the finger piano works, and imagine just 1 of the prongs on this image, that's exactly what's missing off the broken plastic catch.
You slide the door open, the little nib on the door passes the prong and that's what secures it. To slide the door shut, you just press the prong to release, simple.

Screenshot_20200105-084439_Photos.jpg

Thanks for the above suggestions, i've seen these already after hours of trying to find a better solution to what the manufacture fitted.
It's so limited for space where the catch needs to be, plus right next to the shower cubicle, making fixings an awkward situation.
I need to get some pictures of how it's mounted which will make it obvious what they problem is.

The original plastic one, although very basic in design did work and lasted 3 years. The prong only snapped because I was trying to tension it by slightly bending it backwards. Although I think you're right, and an aluminium one would be better, the reality is most engineering companies would just fob me off with such a tiny job, hence assuming the 3D route might be more simple.
Back to the drawing board, and the stupid rubber wedge that we have to jam into the bottom of the door to stop it moving whilst driving.
Don't ask don't get :eek:

Good Saturday morning job for an apprentice that, I've never seen a machine shop turn down work yet, give a few a bell tomorrow :thumbsup:

This might shed light on how it worked originally.

If you think of how the finger piano works, and imagine just 1 of the prongs on this image, that's exactly what's missing off the broken plastic catch.
You slide the door open, the little nib on the door passes the prong and that's what secures it. To slide the door shut, you just press the prong to release, simple.

View attachment 57568
Literally no clue what a piano has to do with this :D

Back