31130 fault code

That was the code on the read out they gave me.
I am taking the van back on Saturday morning & ask them about the code
I won't be making any rash decisions when I am there. I will let you know what they say.
Anyway, thanks for everyone's interest

Hi,there are lots on here about these codes,also have the same,nox sensor bank 1 low,I guarantee it will be the egr,there 8 faults on these 150,and as you have no warranty it will cost you a small fortune for vw to run through there expensive process of illuminationthe,light will be back on before you no it,there’s a guy on here I think his name is twoguns,read his post,starts back in 2017...vw will do a flush first I expect

Hi,there are lots on here about these codes,also have the same,nox sensor bank 1 low,I guarantee it will be the egr,there 8 faults on these 150,and as you have no warranty it will cost you a small fortune for vw to run through there expensive process of illuminationthe,light will be back on before you no it,there’s a guy on here I think his name is twoguns,read his post,starts back in 2017...vw will do a flush first I expect

Thanks for the reply, VW do not fill me with confidence re their ability to solve the problem. I will have a look at the thread you have suggested when I get home this evening. The only saving grace is that the van runs fine, although it seems it may become expensive to turn the warning light off. Happy days!!

I have been back to the garage this morning, they plugged it in & they said the same fault came up, faulty NOx sensor.
It cant be that as just had the new one installed.
I have booked it in for a service at which they will remove the re map, check to se what NOx sensor update is installed, update if required& then re install the map. The service is booked for 19th Feb, which will give plenty of time to se when the elm comes back on ( confident it will at some point). I will let you know.
On a different note, I have just read thru Twoguns thread, which only backs up my lack of faith in vw customer service. The sad part is the financial ombudsman backed vw!!

Hi mate,it is all definitely becoming a pain in the backside,cc has come back to me saying the usual bs,mine is going in on Thursday so I’m getting ready for the next headache,
I would ask them to do a flush,I don’t no how much this cost but I can only say it seems that it will keep the elm light of for a little longer from what I’ve been reading,the only way I can see this being fixed is having an egr delete and dpf which I really don’t want to,after all my van has 21000 on it why should we have to do something that cost more money,I’m sorry I’m no filling you with confidence mate,will update you on Thursday!!

Let me know how you get on.
My van is a t28 2017 & has 34500miles on it.
I am trying to convince myself that the update which they are going to check & then hopefully install will sort it out.
The eml light first came on a week after I had the re map done, I had no issues until then
This could be co incidence, but who knows.

I have been back to the garage this morning, they plugged it in & they said the same fault came up, faulty NOx sensor.
It cant be that as just had the new one installed.
I have booked it in for a service at which they will remove the re map, check to se what NOx sensor update is installed, update if required& then re install the map. The service is booked for 19th Feb, which will give plenty of time to se when the elm comes back on ( confident it will at some point). I will let you know.
On a different note, I have just read thru Twoguns thread, which only backs up my lack of faith in vw customer service. The sad part is the financial ombudsman backed vw!!
Didn’t the Financial Ombudsman back VW in this case because Twoguns modified the van that was on finance, technically it’s not the Keepers to modify.

Carp catcher,it could be to do with remap,
is this the ad blue update mate that came out last March??or is there a new one??
Who done the remap on your van bud?

To be honest, I am not exactly sure what update they are checking. I need to check that!
The re map was carried out by AMD Essex. They are a well known mapping/ tuning company. The guy who I was speaking to, who install the re maps, used to work at a VW commercial garage & appeared to have a good understanding of VW vans. We shall se.
On a different note, stone cracked the screen at the weekend, another £100 up the swanny, heh how

Hi mate,quick up date,all they done this time was forced a regen on the dpf which I can do from home with Carista,so I’m going to keep my dpf clean as I can and see how I go,I have done 100miles so far and it’s still clear! Any update from yourself?

Nothing to report at the moment. The van goes in on the 1st Feb. I brought the service forward a bit.
What really is concerning is that No one has been able to resolve the issue.
There are a lot of people with the same fault code & a lot of garages with different opinions ( varying in cost) on how to fix the issue. The only thing they all seem to have in common, is that none of them have definitive answer.
Long gone are the days of engines that don't require a computer to tell you what's wrong.
Keep in touch & we will se how we both get on.

This what they have done so far, not a lot really, but I guarantee it will continue, maybe worth purchasing Carista to keep an eye on your dpf etc for the future, only cheap, good luck keep you posted...
3E60F717-DC82-469D-990E-783B5453A7B5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
im also getting this 31130 fault regularly as below.

Address 01: Engine (2D2D2-CXHA) Labels:. 04L-907-309-V2.clb
Part No SW: 04L 906 056 KL HW: 04L 907 445
Component: R4 2.0l TDI H02 3802
Revision: 23002001
Coding: 00194014432401090000
Shop #: WSC 54478 001 1048576
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TDI03004L906056KL 004003
ROD: EV_ECM20TDI03004L906056KA.rod
VCID: 0109FA3C9070C88C0D-8054

2 Faults Found:
16056 - Oil Pressure Switch
P164B 00 [108] - Malfunction
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 154736 km
Date: 2050.01.19
Time: 09:59:17

Engine RPM: 1872.25 /min
Normed load value: 74.9 %
Vehicle speed: 42 km/h
Coolant temperature: 35 °C
Intake air temperature: 10 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1000 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.312 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Air mass at air mass meter 1: 230.4 kg/h
Standardized air flow ratio: 1.007 counts
Exhaust recirc.valve 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Actual value: -27.60 %
Throttl.valve adapt. 1 bank 1: posit feedback - Actual value: 0.00 %
Charge air pressure: specified value: 2.181 bar
Absolute intake pressure: 225 kPa abs
Mean injection quantity: 44 mg/stroke
Index of current engine mode: 0
Index of next requested engine mode: 0
Index of engine target mode: 0

31103 - SCR NOx Catalyst Bank 1
P20EE 00 [100] - Efficiency too Low
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 155509 km
Date: 2050.01.24
Time: 10:10:58

Engine RPM: 1830.75 /min
Normed load value: 56.1 %
Vehicle speed: 64 km/h
Coolant temperature: 90 °C
Intake air temperature: 4 °C
Ambient air pressure: 960 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.117 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Air mass at air mass meter 1: 147.6 kg/h
Outside temperature sensor 1: B1: raw value: 4.5 °C
Mass airflow sensor 1 bank 1 airflow: raw value: 683.6 mg/stroke
Throttl.valve adapt. 1 bank 1: posit feedback - Actual value: 24.43 %
NOx sensor before SCR cat conv: offset correction factor: 0 ppm
NOx sensor after SCR cat conv: offset correction factor: 83 ppm
Reducing agent quality sensor: urea concentration: 0.00 %
Reducing agent quality sensor: raw temperature value: 0.0 °C

Readiness: N/A

Reactions: mmi
My van is going in for a service & to check what adblue update is installed. I will post on here how I get on. In reality though,it may take some time for the elm to come back on.
A word of caution though. I don’t know if your van is in warranty, if it is not, before they tell you it is the nox sensor that needs replacing, make sure that they prove it first. Mine got changed, £681, light back on 150 miles later.

currently on a live chat with vw. they say a software update is not part of a full service, disappointing that. would an update to 6166 software fix this?

Back