31130 fault code

Carp catcher

VIP Member
T6 Pro
New member on here. I have a 17 plate 150 kombi conversion. My issue is this, I have had a re map carried out to 185bhp by a reputable local company. 1 week later whilst driving to Brugge, the engine management light came on ( amber). This did not affect the vans performance in any way. I then took the van back to the re mappers who told me that there had been an issue with how the van identified how the adblue was used. They said that this was quite common & said they would delete the code & if it came back then let them know.Everything was fine for approx 10 months, when the light came back on. I took the van back to them & they gave a fault code 31130which they said meant the NOx sensor was faulty, this was then changed (£681) after 150 miles the light has come back on. They are going to check it over again, but has anyone had a similar issue, as it could not have been the NOx sensor, & to keep changing bits until they find it could work out very costly.
I do not really want to take it into VW as they will tell me it is the re map & or will definitely damage my pocket ( previous experience). Whilst all this has been going on, the van is running perfectly. Any help will be gratefully recieved

No, I have not noticed any difference in the van in any way. That is the frustrating thing about it.
I have read on the net, that the van reads the adblue via some type of sonic wave? & if it is overfilled, it can confuse the reading & send out a warning light. I have filled the adblue up before all this started happening, & could have overfilled it. This could be a coincidence but would it keep sending out a false warning light?

I know I’ll get a world of hate but I don’t like remaps full stop, it’s playing around with parameters that manufactures have spent millions developing so you’ll truly never know what could be truly happening with things, I know it doesn’t help you not against engine tuning but actual mechanical improvements, and of corse everyone that has a remap declares them don’t they lol

£681 Nox sensor replacement? .
Is that the going rate? Just asking as I had that code twice, first one just cleared by the AA, the second time it just cleared itself the next day....this is a 2019 T28, standard with only 20k miles.

To be honest, I would have no issue with taking it back to VW, but after my previous dealings with them, I am sure they would blame the re map, & if they would look at it, I have little confidence that they would have any better idea than any other garage, & then charge the earth to repair it anyway. They were going to charge me nearly £600 for a fan repair which I did myself for £7!!

Nox sensors are really fickle and don’t put up with anything like the slightest bit of coolant on them and coat up but also can get coated, sometimes caused by the scr going wafty

Sorry but as a past dealer tech of corse going to blame the remap and they have every right it’s not as designed,

The NOx sensor was just shy of £600 to buy & the rest was to fit it. I was told that you cannot get an aftermarket NOx sensor. I did check the price by ringing a VW dealers & they came back with the same price for the sensor.
As it appears not to have solved the problem, that's a big ouch to the pocket!!

About hour to fit in reality, which will include a read and clear of the memory

New member on here. I have a 17 plate 150 kombi conversion. My issue is this, I have had a re map carried out to 185bhp by a reputable local company. 1 week later whilst driving to Brugge, the engine management light came on ( amber). This did not affect the vans performance in any way. I then took the van back to the re mappers who told me that there had been an issue with how the van identified how the adblue was used. They said that this was quite common & said they would delete the code & if it came back then let them know.Everything was fine for approx 10 months, when the light came back on. I took the van back to them & they gave a fault code 31130which they said meant the NOx sensor was faulty, this was then changed (£681) after 150 miles the light has come back on. They are going to check it over again, but has anyone had a similar issue, as it could not have been the NOx sensor, & to keep changing bits until they find it could work out very costly.
I do not really want to take it into VW as they will tell me it is the re map & or will definitely damage my pocket ( previous experience). Whilst all this has been going on, the van is running perfectly. Any help will be gratefully recieved

‘’The NOx sensor was just shy of £600 to buy & the rest was to fit it. I was told that you cannot get an aftermarket NOx sensor. I did check the price by ringing a VW dealers & they came back with the same price for the sensor.
As it appears not to have solved the problem, that's a big ouch to the pocket!!’’

GSF Car Parts - NGK nox sensor is £156 ?? Where did they get £681 from?

That was the price for a genuine VW part which included fitting. I did look for an aftermarket one but couldn't find one, & was told by a couple of sources that an aftermarket one didn't exist.
At least I will know for the future!!

Back