255 60 18 Inch Amarock Wheels

Peza

Hi I am keen to put bigger wheels on my T6 multi-van . 255x60x18
I see most people are keeping close to the rolling radius of the original tires.
How much bigger can you go before the tyres foul the guards?
And does a large tire fit in the spare tire bay?
I see on the Facebook page VW T5 Upgrades they are putting massive tires on T6’s

upload_2019-5-21_8-1-55.jpeg

I found 255/60/18 fouled the inner arches.
I'm running 235/60/18 with no issues whatsoever.....General Grabber AT3s

I've run 255/55/18 on my T5, and I would not run them again; just too big imo; and the 7.5% up-gearing impacted the drivability of the van; and that was with 250bhp+ and 430lb-ft
235/55/18 are fine, and as big as I would go; or 255/50/18, which are a pretty uncommon size.

Thanks Chris!
Yes I’ve considered everyone’s advice and put on 255/45/18s keeping the rolling radius closer to original.
So far they seem to be good. I expected the ride to be harsher and it probably is but hardly noticeable.

New T5 owner and im considering changing wheels/tyres with ATs in mind.....Iknow this is an old thread but wonder what you ended up with, and your thoughts 2 years on.....any pics?

E4DE50CB-F8E1-4905-98B7-2209FEB2456F.jpegHi Ken 55 I got tired of the harsh ride of the 255/45/18 tires. They were good on smooth roads and really hug the corners but
I found that after spending some time on corrugated dirt roads they were not comfortable at all.
so I have changed to 245/65/17 Amarock rims. To fit the spare tire in the tire well I have to let all the air out and use a scissor jack to jack the tire into place.
For me they have not rubbed on any part of the vehicle but I have heard of others complaining that they do get a small amount of rubbing.
But mine do not have a off road tread they are a road tire.
The Speedo is out a little bit but I use Waze GPS app that tells me my correct speed and gives an alarm when I go over the speed limit.
I have also had the engine remapped and gained an extra 20 hp so I do not notice loss of vehicle performance due to bigger tyres

Of course since putting on the big tyres I have not had the opportunity to travel on dirt roads or bush tracks yet.

Thanks for the report Peza. They certainly complement the van by filling the wheel arches further. Interesting choice you made....I will certainly consider a more general use tyre as an alternative to the full fat AT. Like the Waze GPS idea as well. Weather looks good.....Aus? Thanks again for getting back to me.

Interesting sizes as I have 255/50/19 no problem at all. the only issue is spare wheel...but getting 17'' is plenty

Back