20in rims on T6.1, mechanical probs, VW warranty

66DOB

Hi all,
I have a new T6.1 coming in the next couple of weeks. My VW dealer told me yesterday that if I put 20in rims on it and that leads to any mechanical issue, my warranty will be void. Has anyone had any mechanical probs attributed to running plus sized wheels?

My van is new and I’ve fitted 20s on mine and I’ve been back to VW and nothing was said to me
The jobs worth trying it on

Thanks for your replies folks! I think the warranty issue must be an Australian thing - your dealers in the UK are much better than our's here in Oz. Australian VW dealerships don't offer any of the nice modifications like spoilers, upsized wheels, etc, that yours do. But I guess my question is more about whether anyone has ever had any mechanical issue attributable to running 20in wheels, especially in a T6.1?

Thanks for your replies folks! I think the warranty issue must be an Australian thing - your dealers in the UK are much better than our's here in Oz. Australian VW dealerships don't offer any of the nice modifications like spoilers, upsized wheels, etc, that yours do. But I guess my question is more about whether anyone has ever had any mechanical issue attributable to running 20in wheels, especially in a T6.1?
I have upgraded mine to 20s. I still have my 17s in the garage. Two reasons. I’ll sell it with the 17s on. And, if I get agro on a warranty issue, I’ll swap them over

I have upgraded mine to 20s. I still have my 17s in the garage. Two reasons. I’ll sell it with the 17s on. And, if I get agro on a warranty issue, I’ll swap them over
How do you find the ride now that you've gone to 20s Mark? Did you lower as well? Could I ask also your tyre specs? Cheers mate!

How do you find the ride now that you've gone to 20s Mark? Did you lower as well? Could I ask also your tyre specs? Cheers mate!

There are a few options that people take, Fit bigger wheels and leave the suspension standard (massive arch gaps!), replace only the springs with a lowering springs or replace the entire suspension setup. The latter two options then also have options and price points that all affect the ride quality.

I personally went for a more expensive option because I was fitting a conversion in the van that results in uneven loads, the suspension could then be adjusted individually to compensate for the weight.

The results is a wonderful drive, yes it's a bit firmer but it rides very well. ST X coilovers with a 50mm drop, 20" Inovit blitz wheel, tyre to suite the 8.5j wheels and T30 load rating is a 255/40.

No probs. I had 17in Devonports on, with 107/109 load rate tyres. Last year, I swapped to the 20’s first, with 275/35s 102 load rate (mine is a T28) I was expecting my fillings to fall out, but the ride is so much smoother. I got the wheels with Triangle Sportex tyres, which are ok. I got a flint in the side wall, on one, so have swapped the fronts to GY Eagle F1’s, they are quieter, way grippier in the wet, and about 4 mpg better. I’ll defo be changing the rears soon. Currently they are at 38psi. Late last year I had the eibach adjustable fitted, they are 40mm drop. The ride is a tiny bit firmer, but now corners a lot flatter, than before. If I were to do this all over again, I’d go for something like the ST-X coilovers. The ride would be even better. And the ability to drop the ride height a bit more. And the GY tyres from day 1. Otherwise :thumbsup: happy!!!

No probs. I had 17in Devonports on, with 107/109 load rate tyres. Last year, I swapped to the 20’s first, with 275/35s 102 load rate (mine is a T28) I was expecting my fillings to fall out, but the ride is so much smoother. I got the wheels with Triangle Sportex tyres, which are ok. I got a flint in the side wall, on one, so have swapped the fronts to GY Eagle F1’s, they are quieter, way grippier in the wet, and about 4 mpg better. I’ll defo be changing the rears soon. Currently they are at 38psi. Late last year I had the eibach adjustable fitted, they are 40mm drop. The ride is a tiny bit firmer, but now corners a lot flatter, than before. If I were to do this all over again, I’d go for something like the ST-X coilovers. The ride would be even better. And the ability to drop the ride height a bit more. And the GY tyres from day 1. Otherwise :thumbsup: happy!!!
Thanks so much Mark! Yeah, my budget won't allow for coilovers, but from what I've heard, the main advantage of coilovers over springs is being able to adjust the height. I really don't want to go lower than 35-40mm anyway (the roads where I live here in Queensland, Australia aren't great), so I think Eibach lowering springs will be fine for my purposes. Tyre-wise I'm very interested to see you've gone the 275/35s - I'm hesitant to go below 40, just for the ride quality. Anyway, my van doesn't arrive until later this month, so I'm probably WAY overthinking everything! Thanks again Mark!

There are a few options that people take, Fit bigger wheels and leave the suspension standard (massive arch gaps!), replace only the springs with a lowering springs or replace the entire suspension setup. The latter two options then also have options and price points that all affect the ride quality.

I personally went for a more expensive option because I was fitting a conversion in the van that results in uneven loads, the suspension could then be adjusted individually to compensate for the weight.

The results is a wonderful drive, yes it's a bit firmer but it rides very well. ST X coilovers with a 50mm drop, 20" Inovit blitz wheel, tyre to suite the 8.5j wheels and T30 load rating is a 255/40.
Oh wow - I bet that looks super nice with those Innovit wheels and a 50mm drop! I'm just thinking all this through for when my van finally arrives at the end of May - I love the look of the bigger wheels, but like you, I hate the massive arch gaps, so will also get it lowered. I won't be carrying much weight around, so I'm just thinking lowering springs with a drop of 35-40mm should do the trick! Cheers Jlo!

Thanks so much Mark! Yeah, my budget won't allow for coilovers, but from what I've heard, the main advantage of coilovers over springs is being able to adjust the height. I really don't want to go lower than 35-40mm anyway (the roads where I live here in Queensland, Australia aren't great), so I think Eibach lowering springs will be fine for my purposes. Tyre-wise I'm very interested to see you've gone the 275/35s - I'm hesitant to go below 40, just for the ride quality. Anyway, my van doesn't arrive until later this month, so I'm probably WAY overthinking everything! Thanks again Mark!
There’s nothing wrong with overthinking everything, that’s my life!!!! It’s called research
I went with the eibach rear adjustable springs, to level the rear of mine, as I have racking with tools and spares on the drivers side. With not a lot on the passengers side. VW recommend 275/35 tyres. With these tyres, my speedo runs exactly the same as the WAZE speed display (WAZE is a phone app based nav system) mine is a T28, so can run the 102 load rate tyres in 35 profile. If you have a T32 coming, you’ll need 103 tyres, which only come in 40 profile. More overthinking required!!!

Haha - that's me too! I'm an academic at a local university here on the Gold Coast and do reresearch for a living. I'm sure the dealer I'm buying my wheels from just shakes his head when he sees me coming with another barrage of random questions! :D
Anyway, I'm getting the Crewvan variant, which I think you in the UK call a Kombi, and I believe it will be T30 - either way, yes, I'll need 103, 40 profile tyres. Cheers Mark!

Hi I have a t6.1 4 motion looking at fitting the following 120 et47 Range rover sport L494 wheels. Has anyone done this and will they fit.

Attachments

• A1436C0B-3A8E-4C2A-95A1-803AF786DB4A.png
    A1436C0B-3A8E-4C2A-95A1-803AF786DB4A.png
    280 KB · Views: 4
good evening
New user here…
Ok to jump in with a question?..
Had my t6.1 for 10months now and the whole time I’ve been wanting new wheels…
Everyone seems to just go straight in for the 20’s
But I’m worried about what the rides like compared to factory 17’s ….
And wether it affects mpg or puts any added strain on engine or gearbox etc
many thanks …

To get super ride quality from 20's you need to look at the suspension too as they create a bigger unsprung weight that the stock suspension can't handle. Even if you replace just the springs for lower ones this then puts the shocks under pressure as they will operate in the lower range and can't damping the stiffer spring. Good quality, ie expensive coilovers will really really help or quality Koni or Bilstein shocks and H&R or Eibach springs if you dont want to go too low. If you keep the tyres no bigger than 255/40/20 or 275/35/20 they'll be similar to standard overall diameter so wont effect speedo or gearing. MPG will go down a little but hey ...
ins8.jpg

To get super ride quality from 20's you need to look at the suspension too as they create a bigger unsprung weight that the stock suspension can't handle. Even if you replace just the springs for lower ones this then puts the shocks under pressure as they will operate in the lower range and can't damping the stiffer spring. Good quality, ie expensive coilovers will really really help or quality Koni or Bilstein shocks and H&R or Eibach springs if you dont want to go too low. If you keep the tyres no bigger than 255/40/20 or 275/35/20 they'll be similar to standard overall diameter so wont effect speedo or gearing. MPG will go down a little but hey ...
View attachment 192270
Cheers for that reply…..very informative….
Lots to think about for me then and probably lots to pay out for if I’m gonna go down the 20’s road….
What about if you only go with 18’s (does anyone ever just go 18’s?)
Thanks again for the reply…
I’ll be looking into it for sure…

Back