2016 180 Bi turbo CFCA engine failure is the EGR valve corrosion the cause of the scored and worn out bores

Thank you, It was suggested here that my EGR may be stuck open I thought the emulator will only function if the EGR valve is closed
Is the T6 Euro 5 the same as T5 I assume it is.
The emulator is not connected to an EGR, it is an EGR emulator so the wiring from the engine harness plugs into the emulator and the emulator pretends to be an EGR. This keeps the ECU happy. The actual on-engine EGR is no longer connected to any wiring harness in any way. In case the actual EGR is still open or leaking exhaust gas into the inlet manifold, you fit the blanking plates. This stops any unintentional exhaust gas recirculation into the inlet. You can buy the Tafmet on it's own and make up or buy different blanking plates from somewhere else. Check out the Tafmet website.

The CFCA engine was fitted in T5 and T6 before is was replaced with a Euro 6 biturbo. I asked Tafmet if this works on a T6 and they said it does as it's the same engine and ECU. I can confirm it works fine on my 2016 T6 180 CFCA.

The emulator is not connected to an EGR, it is an EGR emulator so the wiring from the engine harness plugs into the emulator and the emulator pretends to be an EGR. This keeps the ECU happy. The actual on-engine EGR is no longer connected to any wiring harness in any way. In case the actual EGR is still open or leaking exhaust gas into the inlet manifold, you fit the blanking plates. This stops any unintentional exhaust gas recirculation into the inlet. You can buy the Tafmet on it's own and make up or buy different blanking plates from somewhere else. Check out the Tafmet website.

The CFCA engine was fitted in T5 and T6 before is was replaced with a Euro 6 biturbo. I asked Tafmet if this works on a T6 and they said it does as it's the same engine and ECU. I can confirm it works fine on my 2016 T6 180 CFCA.
Thanks !

Hello,
Currently looking to sell my trusty 2005 2.5 tdi T32 174bhp LWB Camper 104k miles, I've owned it for over 14 years now and wish to replace with a much newer van.
(coincidently I used a blanking plate on the EGR pipe years go and I've never had any engine issues).

Reading through all this thread and watching Darkside Development vids it is pretty worrying but great info and contribution from all. thank you.

Can anyone offer advise and precautions on this van/engine: 2017 45k miles... 2.0 BiTDI T32 BlueMotion Tech Highline Crew Manual 4Motion Euro 6 (s/s) (204 ps)
Is it likely this would suffer the same EGR issues and so I should look to blank off etc, do an oil analysis before buying ?

thank you.

Hello,
Currently looking to sell my trusty 2005 2.5 tdi T32 174bhp LWB Camper 104k miles, I've owned it for over 14 years now and wish to replace with a much newer van.
(coincidently I used a blanking plate on the EGR pipe years go and I've never had any engine issues).

Reading through all this thread and watching Darkside Development vids it is pretty worrying but great info and contribution from all. thank you.

Can anyone offer advise and precautions on this van/engine: 2017 45k miles... 2.0 BiTDI T32 BlueMotion Tech Highline Crew Manual 4Motion Euro 6 (s/s) (204 ps)
Is it likely this would suffer the same EGR issues and so I should look to blank off etc, do an oil analysis before buying ?

thank you.
Neither of these engines are a CFCA variant discussed in this thread.

Neither of these engines are a CFCA variant discussed in this thread.
Obviously know my old 2.5tdi isn't CFCA but thanks for the info on the later 2017 2.0L.
How can I tell which engine this would be in the 2017 2.0L so I can do some research... as it's a bi-turbo I thought they all suffered from this same EGR issue no ?

Will the dpf still regenerate if the egr is blanked and a tafmet installed?
Absolutely. They have nothing to do with each other. The DPF filters out particle matter (PM). This is the soot produced when diesel is combusted. EGR or no EGR the engine will always produce PM. The DPF collects this PM over time and when is starts to block, the ECU triggers a DPF regeneration. The regen is done by raising the exhaust temperature in the DPF to around 500 to 650degC. (usually by making a small injection of diesel into one or more cylinders when the exhaust valve is open during engine running)

Absolutely. They have nothing to do with each other. The DPF filters out particle matter (PM). This is the soot produced when diesel is combusted. EGR or no EGR the engine will always produce PM. The DPF collects this PM over time and when is starts to block, the ECU triggers a DPF regeneration. The regen is done by raising the exhaust temperature in the DPF to around 500 to 650degC. (usually by making a small injection of diesel into one or more cylinders when the exhaust valve is open during engine running)
Thanks Nam600 & DXX. I was asking because posts in the following forum suggested otherwise: EGR blanking options? - Page 2

I have a Vw California se 2013 44k miles with the Cfca engine. Miller analysis showed 53ppm alu, so better get egr blanked asap.

I’m using a remap and not the Tafmet emulator, but I can see the DPF soot levels rise during use and then fall during regens in Carista.

Thanks Nam600 & DXX. I was asking because posts in the following forum suggested otherwise: EGR blanking options? - Page 2

I have a Vw California se 2013 44k miles with the Cfca engine. Miller analysis showed 53ppm alu, so better get egr blanked asap.

The Miller failure criteria for alum’ is 30ppm, you might want to consider a compression test.
What’s the Fe content?

The linked discussion is arguing that the EGR raises the combustion temperature during a DPF re-gen’ and allows for a better re-generation. The whole purpose of the EGR is to lower the combustion temperature after the engine has reached operating temperature in order to reduce the NOX emissions.
It doesn’t make sense.
There are vans that have tens of thousands of miles with a Tafmet emulator installed without any DPF issues.

It's not correct. You can argue an EGR creates more PM as it lowers the combustion temperature and makes a less complete combustion which naturally makes a bit more PM. My van has been running the Tafmet and EGR blanking for 3500 miles now and I have observed less DPF regenerations, around 2 MPG improvement and (perhaps a placebo effect) a slightly better throttle response all with no issues or faults recorded in the ECU.

The one and only thing I am keeping an eye on is the oil sampling at Millers. I have just sent off a new sample after 3100 mile since blanking off my EGR, adding the Tafmet and changing the oil. I should soon find out if I have managed to prevent any further contamination or engine damage. I'm also thinking about by-passing the cooling circuit which runs in and out of the EGR. I see that Darkside have such a connector with their kit which removes the EGR completely and only has the oil filter housing with oil cooler attached.

Thanks for confirming, NAM600 & DXX. Fe is at 49 on my analysis report.
OK you maybe in luck, the Miller failure criteria for iron (Fe) is 250PPM.
If I were you get the Tafmet kit fitted asap along with an oil and filter change.
After approx 1K miles a further oil and filter change.
After 2-3K miles another oil analysis.

OK you maybe in luck, the Miller failure criteria for iron (Fe) is 250PPM.
If I were you get the Tafmet kit fitted asap along with an oil and filter change.
After approx 1K miles a further oil and filter change.
After 2-3K miles another oil analysis.
Fully agree. Then you will see the aluminium ppm drop and if the Fe content remains in normal levels. As the Aluminium level is still fairly low, I think the failure is at the early stages and should recover well if you sort it now.

I’ve ordered the Tafmet kit. Fingers crossed. I’ll report back when I get the next oil analysis. Thanks for all your help.

Just got my oil analysis back. Looks like I have prevented the damage. I'll do another sample next year, probably 5000miles after the next oil change.
1696341051064.png

Reactions: DXX
I’m just fitting the blanking plates that came with the Tafmet. Each plate came with a gasket. Is the gasket needed, and if so, should it go on top of the plate or underneath it? Do you stick the gasket to the plate before manoeuvring it into place?

And is it best to remove the oil filter to improve access?

I’m just fitting the blanking plates that came with the Tafmet. Each plate came with a gasket. Is the gasket needed, and if so, should it go on top of the plate or underneath it? Do you stick the gasket to the plate before manoeuvring it into place?

consider which side of the joint are needing sealing. Low pressure will be coming from inlet/exhaust side.

And is it best to remove the oil filter to improve access?
I didn't and wouldn't. Big opportunity to drop something inside the oil housing.....

It's all fiddly as foook and took me a couple of hours messing about, swear words, dropped tools and skinned knuckles as the pipes are tight without the blanking plates. Got there in the end.

Back