17” tyre recommendations

peter61@

Hi all, I am after some advice on what size of 17" tyre to run.
I have a 2019 T6 fitted out as a camper which currently has the factory 16" steel rims with 215/65R16C Goodyear Marathons. It is a two wheel drive TDI340.
I have been able to pick up a set of Amarok Aldo 17" Alloy wheels (17"x8J) which I understand are a direct fit with an offset of ET49
They currently have worn out 245/65R17s from the Amarok which are too big in circumference (10% bigger) so I want to buy a new set to suit the van before I put them on.
It mainly does highway miles but of course needs to go up dirt roads to get to camping grounds here in Australia, nothing too serious but the reason I didn't want to go bigger than a 17" wheel.
The sizes I am considering are;
235/55R17 - The Kumho Ecsta HS51 or Hankook RA23 look to be a good option here? This is the standard VW size for 17" I think and same circumference as current 16"
235/60R17 - I can get Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season in this size with correct weight rating - about 3% bigger
215/60R17 - have not investigated what tyre is available in this.

What do people run and what is their impression of comfort vs grip vs offroad safety. The van currently rolls a bit when cornering at low speed, so hoping the new tyres might reduce that a bit.

I run 235/55 R17 which is a factory size. I don’t do any cross country. I do have some roll but I also still have factory suspension.

The photo is the tyre and pressure sticker inside my drivers door.

719A6D2B-124F-4449-91E2-5E134D4D3FB2.jpeg

Peter I am in the same boat as you.
However at the moment I run 255/45/18 which is also on the tire placard as a stock tire.
I find the tyres hug the road very well and corner nicely but are a little harsh on potholes and bumps in the road
I have not taken them on the dirt But would expect it to be too harsh so I’m looking for a higher profile 17 inch tire to go on some secondhand Amerock rims the same as yours.
On other forums I have read that 245/65/17s will fit very tightly.
There is a very good wheel and tire calculator on the web where you can compare your stock tire to any profile/rim and tire it also gives you the percentage of increase/decrease overall diameter

I currently have the same dilemma. The Aldo's work well with the stock 235/55/17's. The issue is that VicRoads now wont let you run anything bigger than 15mm larger in diameter. This rules out anything other than 235/55/17's. My preferred option is a set of 235/60/17 Coopers but they are 23mm bigger. Every photo of big wheels on a transporter on the interwebs is ILLEGAL!!!!! Do I break the law and risk jail time (ha ha ha) or play safe?

I currently have the same dilemma. The Aldo's work well with the stock 235/55/17's. The issue is that VicRoads now wont let you run anything bigger than 15mm larger in diameter. This rules out anything other than 235/55/17's. My preferred option is a set of 235/60/17 Coopers but they are 23mm bigger. Every photo of big wheels on a transporter on the interwebs is ILLEGAL!!!!! Do I break the law and risk jail time (ha ha ha) or play safe?

Hey Treebs did you upgrade yet? And if so was it from the standard 16”? I’m looking at putting amarok aldos on with some 235/55/17's and wondering if the width improves the ride much from the standard 205/65/R16s.

Hey Treebs did you upgrade yet? And if so was it from the standard 16”? I’m looking at putting amarok aldos on with some 235/55/17's and wondering if the width improves the ride much from the standard 205/65/R16s.
Hello adwyer.
I've only ever had the stock 235/55/17's on my T6. First on the standard 7" steelies and then on the 8" Aldos. Comfort wise, they were the same. Going from 55's to 65's and keeping the same width will put your speedo a bit over. The 225/65/17's are only 4.8% bigger and bring the speedo right up to accurate!!

My t6 van is lowered approx 50mm and the cascaval alloys currently have standard 235/55/17 tyres fitted. They will need replacing shortly and would like to put chunkier tyres on on the cascavals for better traction on grass and tracks when camping. I quit like the Cooper Discoverer ATT but they only come in similar sizes 235/60/17 or 225/55/17. I have a t28 so could get away with 101 load rating.
Would 235/60/17 be an odd size to fit to these wheels? any advice apreciated.

Last edited:
Plenty of people have done this on 17" Devonports, but if you have the black and diamond cut Cascavals, they might look a bit odd.

HI All,

I'm currently running the stock 17" Devonports. The front tyres have cheap new budget things on there whilst the back are still the original ContiVan 200 tyres. The rear need replacing, but I'm going to do all 4.

What tyres do people recomment? The ContiVan 200 tyres are a bit expensive. Cost wise for me - I'm looking around £100-£130 per tyre.

What other brands out there are any good?

I have seen these on the AA Tyres website:
We are due to have a camper convertsion in February and are travelling the NC500 over Easter and Europe/Switzerland over the Summer. So any advice on tyres suitable for this?

I don't carry tonnes of load but assume the camper conversion will add some weight - so do I need top load rated? Does it affect insurance?

Many thanks

Gareth

Ok - think I am going with these:

103 rating which is what I have on. If I could get 100 that would be great as they are cheaper but would if fail am MOT or if I am pulled over due to them not being the correct weight rating?

I’m currently running Pirelli Cargos on my t32 conversion. I’ll be fitting Michelin Cross Climates for next winter.

I’ve got 55 - 60K miles out of a set of Goodyear Cargo Vectors, excellent tyres.
Dear DXX, 2 questions please, how did they cope with snow & did you rotate them to get such a high mileage? Regards Dudley.

Dear DXX, 2 questions please, how did they cope with snow & did you rotate them to get such a high mileage? Regards Dudley.
Yes I rotated them according to wear, I take my foot off the accelerator to slow down instead of hitting the brakes at the last minute, still on the original pads and discs.
I‘ve driven a few times on compacted snow and didn’t have any issues. I haven’t driven any other vans in snow so I don’t have anything to compare them with.
I’ve driven on ice in Norway on studded tyres but M&S are no match for them.

Hello. I’ve read quite a few threads and have left myself a bit confused - hoping the T6 family can help me understand this please.

I currently have Devonports with Conti VanContact 200 215/60/17s on, run under pressure at 40psi. I need to replace two tyres. At the same time I’m looking for incremental help in getting a smoother ride over York’s moon surface badly maintained roads.

Following @A&A’s lead I’m thinking Conti Eco Contact 235/55/17s 103Y and believe it will make sense to put these on the rear.

Two questions:
  • Am I OK putting slightly different spec (eco vs contact 200) and 20mm wider tyres on the rear?
  • My tyre data sticker covers the 215/60/17s but not 235/55/17s. Is this OK? Is the sticker just a guide for pressure or is it a definitive list of tyres that achieve conformity to regs for this vehicle?
Obviously a lot of folks run 235s, even on the T32 (which mine is). @Deaky ‘s sticker is for the same van (T32 LWB) and shows 235s.

I've had the standard 17" contivan tyres, didnt like them much and they didn't last. Moved to 235 55 Goodyear Vectors and they were better in every way, after 2 sets of those I've now got Cargo vectors in the original 215 60 17 size, these are the best of the lot, I've had 45 psi in all the tyres and never noticed any difference in comfort. I've driven on a few Continental tyres and not liked any of them so they'd be bottom of my list. Not sure any of this helps, just my experience!
235 55 17 in 103 rating is fine for any Transporter and I'd be happy to have them on just 1 axle.

My t6 van is lowered approx 50mm and the cascaval alloys currently have standard 235/55/17 tyres fitted. They will need replacing shortly and would like to put chunkier tyres on on the cascavals for better traction on grass and tracks when camping. I quit like the Cooper Discoverer ATT but they only come in similar sizes 235/60/17 or 225/55/17. I have a t28 so could get away with 101 load rating.
Would 235/60/17 be an odd size to fit to these wheels? any advice apreciated.
Hi do your 17” cascavel wheels and 235/55/17 tyres fit ok on your t28. I have just got an old set of cascavels and want to get them refurbished but have doubts they will fit ok on a 6.1 t30 due to being et55. And 11mm nearer the inner strut.

Back