Oil filter location? 150PS

now this is what i thought but it looked "upside down" for me.
Is it much spillage to replace it without touching anything else? ( i have replaced oil already).
is there a plastic sump on this picture? or is it that 8 bolt cover people are on about? (my van had no covers)
am i for some nasty surprises or does it work as it did in caddy? (remove top, it comes out with filter attached, snap filter off, snap new one on, replace seal screw it back in)?

Reactions: mmi
Remove the plug from bottom of oil filter cover/housing and drain the oil from filter housing. Then remove threaded oil filter cover. Sounds like similar to your Caddy. See page 101 in the document on previous page - that picture in the doc is "upside down". Inside red circle here you see "threaded cover-1" ). I think that oil filter is so much higher than oil level in the sump so it shouldn't be an issue draining all your oil :whistle:

The sump has an insulation (factory installed) - black plastic foam (1cm) around it to keep oil at decent temperatures up here.

The bottom tray ( 8 bolt one) has been removed for oil change, so not in the picture - it would cover everything- gearbox, sump, alternator, etc. in this picture.

Ok i guess it makes sense in Finland ;) It is strange to me as how come i have no bottom tray (not that i miss it just curious).

Vans don’t get them as standard regardless of trim level they only seem to come as standard on kombis and higher

Does anyone know where I would find info on how to change the oil on my euro 5 140bhp T6?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was about to direct you to this link, but I think that is different to the Euro5.

From what I recall it’s straightforward enough, the only odd thing (to me, anyhow) being the plastic filter housing being something I’d not seen before.

I didn’t save the link but just used a thread that Loz or someone had posted on the site.

I've been changing oil in the engines of my vehicles and boat with the suction pump for years ... you do it without problems, you'll see that everything will come out ....

wow finally i found a forum about T6 :) , I have bought a T6 multivan and i want to change the oil filter and oil...but I couldn't find the filter location:(. Thx for your info about this, tomorrow I will look for the filter. greatings from Belgium;)

j'espère que tu as trouvé le filtre à huile -> accessible pour le dessous à coté du carter moteur (enlever le cache moteur comme pour accéder au bouchon de vidange)

IMG_20191101_095947.jpg

Just done an oil change on my 150, here's a few useful pics for info.
New filter (Mann 501440619 from Carparts4less with code SCREAM100 gets it at £6.30) comes with filter and 2 O rings.
IMG_20191110_095601.jpg
Small O ring goes on the filter drain plug, use this to drain most of the oil out of the filter housing before removing the main body. 13mm socket.
IMG_20191110_095504.jpg
Main body of the filter housing comes off next, My socket is a metrinch, 31/32mm.
IMG_20191110_095702.jpg
Change out the filter and the O rings, there's a handy gap to get a pick under to remove the big one.
IMG_20191110_095417.jpg
I changed the drain plug for the Gold Plug magnetic version.
IMG_20191110_095732.jpg IMG_20191110_095834.jpg
19mm socket, tighten sump plug to 30Nm.
IMG_20191110_095806.jpg
I used Shell Helix Ultra Professional 0W-30 AV-L VW 507.00 and oil & filter change takes 7.4litres
The picture description of the filter change in the VW document Pages 100-101 4.29.3 is incorrect for the CXHA engine, it shows a filter that is accessed from above, while my CXHA engine is accessed from below as in the picture in Crallon's post above.
Grim

Last edited:
Just done an oil change on my 150, here's a few useful pics for info.
New filter (Mann 501440619 from Carparts4less with code SCREAM100 gets it at £6.30) comes with filter and 2 O rings.
View attachment 54156
Small O ring goes on the filter drain plug, use this to drain most of the oil out of the filter housing before removing the main body. 13mm socket.
View attachment 54157
Main body of the filter housing comes off next, My socket is a metrinch, 31/32mm.
View attachment 54158
Change out the filter and the O rings, there's a handy gap to get a pick under to remove the big one.
View attachment 54159
I changed the drain plug for the Gold Plug magnetic version.
View attachment 54160 View attachment 54161
19mm socket, tighten sump plug to 30Nm.
View attachment 54164
I used Shell Helix Ultra Professional 0W-30 AV-L VW 507.00 and oil & filter change takes 7.4litres
The picture description of the filter change in the VW document Pages 100-101 4.29.3 is incorrect for the CXHA engine, it shows a filter that is accessed from above, while my CXHA engine is accessed from below as in the picture in Crallon's post above.
Grim

Nice write up.
Interesting that you used 0w-30 oil. I've often seen the spec quote as 5w-30 but then when my van was serviced by the dealer they used 0w-30.
Just wondering what led you to choose 0w-30?

I put the van details into the Shell Lubematch system and the 0W-30 was one of the alternatives, right grade, right spec so I went with that, £125 for 21 litres should do me 3 oil changes.

The oil viscosity recommendations keep getting lower so that the manufacturers can achieve better fuel consumption test results. There is a compromise between fuel efficiency and engine wear so you may choose to run a different oil than what VW recommends if you plan on keeping your van for a number of years or you work it hard (keep the required ACEA rating to protect the DPF and cat though).

Agreed - but 0W is overkill for the NE of England where me might get as low as -3 a handful of times during the winter.

The oil viscosity recommendations keep getting lower so that the manufacturers can achieve better fuel consumption test results. There is a compromise between fuel efficiency and engine wear so you may choose to run a different oil than what VW recommends if you plan on keeping your van for a number of years or you work it hard (keep the required ACEA rating to protect the DPF and cat though).

Hi YA
So do you think 5W-30 is good good ??
I'm at this stage now, got everything to change oil, just deciding on which oil !

Spoke to friend in Sutton Auto Factors
He said put COMA oil in ! VW spec and £30 for 10liters ! If I'm going change it every 10,000 no sense in spending massive money as every 10,000 its new oil !

What's peoples thoughts please

Romany

Back