150 Bhp Or 199 BhP

sportsman

T6 Pro
Good afternoon all I have a bit of a dilemma I am unsure weather to go for a 150bhp or a 199bhp T6.1 and I was just wondering would there be a big difference in fuel economy will be both dsg , I am not expecting big mpg anyway I am just wondering if there is a big difference between the two :confused:

I opted for the 199 4M and the only dilemma was the wait . I've owned a 150 T6 which was a great van , plenty of oomph but the new 6.1 199 4M is simply amazing in all respects . Fuel economy wise I'm about 4 mpg down overall which may worsen a bit as I'm taking it easy for the first 1000 miles :)

I have a 204 DSG that I’ve done around 30k miles in, mpg tends to sit around 30-33 under normal mixed driving. A steady run on A road can see around 38. When I get a courtesy van from the dealer it’s usually a 150 or 102, and they are markedly better on fuel, I caned the last one and couldn’t push it under 39mpg. Would I swap a few more miles to the gallon for the extra power? Not a chance :cool:

Argh ok what mpg are you getting if you don’t mind me asking
Around 30mpg locally and 34 mpg on 50 + mile runs ... but as I said , not flooring it yet until I've reached 1000 miles. I know they say nothing needs running in these days but I'm afraid I'm a bit Old School.

I've a 204 4M and it says 31.8mpg
Funnily enough mine always reverts back to 31.8
If I'm towing its 22 but then climbs to 31.8 after a day of not towing. If I'm driving like a saint it says 37 but again goes back to 31.8 not long after.
Another VW conspiracy????

Well after all that I have gone for the 150 dsg the lead time on the 204 was to long so new van day next week :cool:will be my first transporter:p

Good afternoon all I have a bit of a dilemma I am unsure weather to go for a 150bhp or a 199bhp T6.1 and I was just wondering would there be a big difference in fuel economy will be both dsg , I am not expecting big mpg anyway I am just wondering if there is a big difference between the two :confused:
Go for the bigger ....you pull more weight and go faster and get free big brakes ( you do on the 204) ...I sound like Boy racer....but when needed the few extra horses are handy.....plus the bigger engine is great for touring ( but still wheel spin with a dsg );)

Last edited:
Not sure if this thread is dead but I have a 150 DSG that I converted to a camper. (Lots of weight added including the RIB bed and premium kitchen) . The indicated MPG has gone from 42 as an empty panel van to 32 as a camper. Going from 16 inch to 20" wheels obviously has an affect on the indicated reading. I notice it varies day to day by +_ 5 MPG with the same weather and driving style which I find odd.

My 150 dsg kombi only manages 31mpg completely empty and driving no faster than 62mph.

I think you're doing alright.

I have 204 kombi dsg and was just wondering what mpg people were getting. Today I've done a 200 mile round trip and averaged 37. What I see is that it makes a big difference driving at 70 consistently return 37mpg and driving at 80 seems to hammer the mpg noticeably.

Yes I would say your figures are about right. I think the van aerodynamics start to damage the mpg at higher speeds. I have a 150 DSG and would happy with your numbers. That said it all depends on what your wheel circ is and what is coded but that's another thread lol

I have 204 kombi dsg and was just wondering what mpg people were getting. Today I've done a 200 mile round trip and averaged 37. What I see is that it makes a big difference driving at 70 consistently return 37mpg and driving at 80 seems to hammer the mpg noticeably.
Yes, I've got the same van and on a long motorway trip with cruise at 70ish, would get 36/37. In general, I think I'm around low 30's

Not sure if this thread is dead but I have a 150 DSG that I converted to a camper. (Lots of weight added including the RIB bed and premium kitchen) . The indicated MPG has gone from 42 as an empty panel van to 32 as a camper. Going from 16 inch to 20" wheels obviously has an affect on the indicated reading. I notice it varies day to day by +_ 5 MPG with the same weather and driving style which I find odd.

Same here, was getting around 40mpg prior to conversion on a 150 DSG LWB Kombi with 18 inch wheels, post conversion a consistent 32mpg. Converter reckoned about 400kg added.

Back