150 DSG or 199 DSG???

huw169

Black 199 Shuttle
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi All
I had my head set on a 150 DSG as the best option for me due to servicing costs, fuel costs and power needed.
BUT.....
A 199 DSG has come up locally to me that ticks a lot of boxes.

I've heard all the issues of the previous gen 180 BHP engine have been resolved, but what about the servicing and fuel economy? Does it drink like a fish, or can it be frugal on a long journey if driven well?

Decisions decisions....

Many thanks

As somebody else has said on here before.... "I wish I had less power"...said nobody, ever.....

I'm still getting used to my 204 DSG but as a fully loaded camper I seem to be getting early to mid 30s on a run, and mid to high 20s round town. It's effortless to drive, even with the occasional foibles of the DSG meaning it revs unnecessarily high now and then. I think with careful application of the right foot, high 30s/early 40s should be achievable on a long motorway run. We took it up to the Lake District as soon as we picked it up and it claimed that I was getting mid 40s, but I'm a bit skeptical of this. I'm using RoadTrip and I've included a couple of screen shots of the stats. It'll be interesting to see how this evolves as I add more info.

IMG_8154.PNG

IMG_8153.PNG

We have the 204 it's great, the fuel economy maybe slightly less, but driving a 150 hard will be worse than a 204 driven sensibly.

By far the largest cost is deprecation and if 204 holds a bit more value? It could work out less in 5 years.

BTW the 204 is great and surprises others 50-70.....

I've had the 199 for a month now.
I love it! I drove it straight into the garage after collecting, and lowered it and put 20's on.
Dash is telling me 32 mpg, first proper tank full tells me 30 mpg with mainly short journeys so far, so can't complain at that.
I agree, it is lovely to drive and effortless.

I've had the 199 for a month now.
I love it! I drove it straight into the garage after collecting, and lowered it and put 20's on.
Dash is telling me 32 mpg, first proper tank full tells me 30 mpg with mainly short journeys so far, so can't complain at that.
I agree, it is lovely to drive and effortless.
If you check the speedo error with GPS 30 mph is 33 i have found on all the vw vehicles so mpg deduct 10% from there software readings.
Hogan thy keep doing this after ther billion pond fines

If you check the speedo error with GPS 30 mph is 33 i have found on all the vw vehicles so mpg deduct 10% from there software readings.
Speedo's on all cars underread (in OEM setup). Its nothing to do with fixing the mpg figures, its due to inaccuracies and speeding, so the speedo cant be used as a reason / excuse for speeding.

Have done. I’m 1mph over at indicated 60

Speedo's on all cars underread (in OEM setup). Its nothing to do with fixing the mpg figures, its due to inaccuracies and speeding, so the speedo cant be used as a reason / excuse for speeding.
You mean over read. Indicates you are going quicker than you are.
The calculation is based on an ideal rolling radius tyre. Then different models get slightly different wheel and tyre setups, which have slightly different rolling r.
Then you put the weight of the van on it and it squishes, effectively reducing rr again, so tyre pressure also plays it’s part.
Then we mess with them.... :slow rofl:

Back