Witter Towbar and reversing sensors

lucky13

VIP Member
So i want to buy a Witter towbar, none removable but wasn’t sure what will happen with the reversing sensors ? Is it low enough to not be seen or will it beep constantly or can you somehow teach the sensors with Vagcom or something to ignore it ?

So i want to buy a Witter towbar, none removable but wasn’t sure what will happen with the reversing sensors ? Is it low enough to not be seen or will it beep constantly or can you somehow teach the sensors with Vagcom or something to ignore it ?

I've got a non removable Witter towbar, it doesn't set off my reversing sensors, which work perfectly.
I bought the van like that so unfortunately can't tell you if any coding mods were made, but I suspect that the sensors just don't see it and no coding was changed.

With towbars it's not do they falsely set off the parking sensors that I wonder about, it's how they know that the van is now about 4 inches longer at the back when judging the distance...

IME, parking sensors are always pessimistic, to the extent that an extra 4 inches won't cause any problems (unless, like me, you like to compensate for the pessimism and keep reversing even when the bleeps are constant :whistle:).

IME, parking sensors are always pessimistic, to the extent that an extra 4 inches won't cause any problems (unless, like me, you like to compensate for the pessimism and keep reversing even when the bleeps are constant :whistle:).
Mine has the last ditch emergency braking as well, which if it triggered that far out I'm sure I would notice.

I do wonder if that is done on distance or also velocity. The software engineer in my head wants to experiment and find out, the rest of my head really doesn't want to reverse a 60k van at my own garage door without braking though...

For hitching up a trailer or other close reversing manoeuvres I find the reversing camera a great help, I can put the tow ball under the hitch using the camera.

I've got a non removable Witter towbar, it doesn't set off my reversing sensors, which work perfectly.
I bought the van like that so unfortunately can't tell you if any coding mods were made, but I suspect that the sensors just don't see it and no coding was changed.
Thanks guys DaveD what year is your T6 ? and does it have all the sensors in the same place as mine ?

Sensors.jpg

We’ve got a 2016 with a fixed tow trust one and it’s never interfered with the sensors.

Back