Winter Tyres?

Hankooks last year which where fine, but never got a really deep snow test, but I've had Nankangs on previous cars and vans, and they performed excellently. Firestone all seasons, on my wife's car have been a revelation the last couple of years, but I don't think they go unto the load rating required.

Hmm just looked at them. They not very expensive. You're happy with the quality @carlg
I have had no problems ,I used the fronts for two winters then bought two new fronts and put them on the back

I use vredestine wintrack 4 extreme. I get mine from tyremen in Hull, every year they put up an offer for winter wheel and trye bundles..

I've used Nankang SV-2's for a few years - very good, long lasting tyres. I've experienced deep snow with them and they're unbelievably good! I'll be putting these on my Devonports.....

The All season tyres are really good now, and if the temperature gets up above 7c regularly they are so much better than winters from what i have read. At temps below -15c the winters compound is much more compliant. So in Scandinavia/Eastern Europe
in the middle of winter maybe, but in mainland Europe my choice would be good All seasons; I think there is a compromise either way to work out.
My choice is
Tyre Nokian Weatherproof SUV 235/60 R17 106H XL - Tyre Leader
oh and it looks like they will do 30k+ miles and still have 3mm left using all year round in the UK

Last edited:
I have Nokia WR A4's on all year round. They seem pretty decent and get well reviewed by various sites. We have not had a really cold winter since I got the van last year but they are excellent in really wet conditions. I think that it's actually at +7deg C that ordinary tyre rubber starts to become too rigid and the winter tyre compound kicks in.

I have Nokia WR A4's on all year round. They seem pretty decent and get well reviewed by various sites. We have not had a really cold winter since I got the van last year but they are excellent in really wet conditions. I think that it's actually at +7deg C that ordinary tyre rubber starts to become too rigid and the winter tyre compound kicks in.
Yes summer rubber starts to struggle below 7C in general; but the all season tyres aren't summer rubber; they will wear more quickly in hot weather (I wish), but in the UK weather band they are fine. I have run Nokian WR A4 all year on a renault master (shhh), great tyre, but they had gone at 15k miles because our summer was just a little too hot for them.

Goodyear Vector 4season gen 2s on mine; not tried them in snow but they score very well in tests and are as quiet as my Summer tyres on the road.

I really don't get on with dedicated Winter tyres; super hard tread plus very soft sidewalls are a horrible combination on mild roads.

I have been running Conti winter contact for the past few years and have found them to be very good. They may be more expensive than some of the other listed here though.

Ok guys im having issues, I want to stay with the standard T32 17" wheels currently conti van contact 200 from new circa 21k miles. front and more life on the rear to go on a 204PS van. I'm struggling to find what tire options I have either in 235 or 215, so far i've only been advised I can get two options that fit the load rating of 109 for the t32. can anyone advise. Ideally what I would like is some All terrain that are good on the road and off. but I know I cant get that but advise is good. the conti seem to be a rate wet but I found when the tires wear your left with very little tred on the outside edge which I find odd.

I've got Hankook 235/55/17 104XL. Barely any real snow last year to give them a good go, but on the road from Nov to end of March they were excellent.

Iv run winter tyres for last 5 years on multiple viechles. They really do make a massive difference. When you pass a 4x4 stuck in snow with normal tyres and your in a 2wd with a good set of winters on

Ok guys im having issues, I want to stay with the standard T32 17" wheels currently conti van contact 200 from new circa 21k miles. front and more life on the rear to go on a 204PS van. I'm struggling to find what tire options I have either in 235 or 215, so far i've only been advised I can get two options that fit the load rating of 109 for the t32. can anyone advise. Ideally what I would like is some All terrain that are good on the road and off. but I know I cant get that but advise is good. the conti seem to be a rate wet but I found when the tires wear your left with very little tred on the outside edge which I find odd.
The 109 load rating is very high for a T32, you may have that rating on your current tyre, but you can certainly relax that down to 103/104 minimum' unless you run way overloaded........
If you want an AT tyre I don't think you will find them generally rated as either winter or all season, not sure why. But if you read the info on them they will often talk about advance compounds that that meet the winter needs.
The Cooper 235/60/17 only has a 102 load rating; the 235/65/17 has a 104 rating, but is 7.5% over sized, it will fit and work fine; look brilliant imo, but will alter your gearing slightly.
Cooper Discoverer AT3 Tires

Iv run winter tyres for last 5 years on multiple viechles. They really do make a massive difference. When you pass a 4x4 stuck in snow with normal tyres and your in a 2wd with a good set of winters on

It does put a smile on your face:)

Not Alaska no, but venturing to ski resorts in the Cairngorms from time to time and previous traction issues on summer tyres just getting out my street when it has snowed, has prompted me to give these a go this year.

Tyre Maxxis Vansmart Snow WL2 215/60 R17 109/107H 8PR - Tyre Leader

Unless your into cycling, Maxxis is little known in this country. Much bigger in Asia, USA and the continent. I know the ratings are not the whole story, but A rated for wet weather grip and C rated for economy. Will let you know how I get on with them. I think Tyreleader are based in Luxemburg, however they were 20 quid a tyre cheaper than other suppliers and delivered in 3 days.

Just a wee word on my experience with winter tyres. And it is just that, only personal experience and by no means scientific here. When its cold, wet or on snow, winter tyres do make a huge difference to grip and traction. However, on winter days when temperatures are warmer and driving has been, well lets say progressive, I've found when they do reach their limit, winters are much more abrupt in how they let go than summer tyres from the same brand. Blinking DSC / ESP lights and a requirement for a mit full of opposite lock sometimes occured when not really expected.

Im sure 99.99% of the time, we dont get close to the limit of a tyre but like most things vehicle related, tyres meet many compromises. Winter tyres are great for the purpose they are designed for. Perhaps less so in more favourable weather conditions. Once again, just my own thoughts on winters and shared in hopefully promoting everyone's safety, but maybe worth keeping enthusiasm on the open road pegged back a notch or two if your running winter boots.

Back