Winter Tyres?

I had 235s on the 17s but sold them as do a lot less mileage now and no Alps trips currently planned!

One thing I was advised, is that some of the cheaper brand winter tyres are still very good. We had some Ovation winters on a Fabia and they were rather good (not that we push limits everywhere). Going onto a roundabout a bit too fast in the wet they hung on well!

I had Minerva winter tyres on the van - never heard of them until @Tourershine recommended them.

Lots of permutations on tyres and wheels and lots of different view points.
I for one never buy a budget tyre they are never as good as a premium brand

Super wide tyres not so good in snow as they spread the weight across a wider area.

Why not get some GP steels and stick winters on them? If you have a curbing incident no big deal. There is an ebay seller advertising them at 180 for 4, new take offs.
Actually for snow and ice this is not true. The buying a good quality winter tyre is far more important.

Actually for snow and ice this is not true. The buying a good quality winter tyre is far more important.

Interesting, though I'm always sceptical as to how applicable Scandinavian test conditions - very cold, crisp, dry, pristine pre-laid snow - are to driving in the UK, where we have higher humidity, marginal temperatures and, usually, a patchy selection of minimal snow coverage, frost and slush conditions to contend with. Also, where I live, the ability to maintain traction in a hilly environment is far more important than a description of the car's handlings characteristics on a flat circuit.

I know, I can't expect them to use my lane/driveway for their testing, just to satisfy my curiosity, but you get my point.

Interesting, though I'm always sceptical as to how applicable Scandinavian test conditions - very cold, crisp, dry, pristine pre-laid snow - are to driving in the UK, where we have higher humidity, marginal temperatures and, usually, a patchy selection of minimal snow coverage, frost and slush conditions to contend with. Also, where I live, the ability to maintain traction in a hilly environment is far more important than a description of the car's handlings characteristics on a flat circuit.

I know, I can't expect them to use my lane/driveway for their testing, just to satisfy my curiosity, but you get my point.
I understand what you are saying.
If you watch a lot of their reviews, particularly about winter tyres he always seems to recommend for UK (or all but the most northerly parts) it’s better to use a 4 season tyre rather than a full winter. Probably for the reasons you state.

We have a set of Vredestein Wintrak Pro 275/35/20 102 is any good. Done a couple of thousand miles. Can confirm depth etc Monday if of interest?

Back