Windscreen Rust

GC18DCT

Hello everyone, has anyone experienced rust above their windscreen before? It’s early signs of it but seems to be getting worse.

Hopefully the pic helps to give an idea.

Just looking to understand how big of a problem this could be and how best to treat/repair.

Thanks
Dave

8133BE31-C37A-480B-B390-DC923C57DC7A.jpeg

Hard to tell from the photo but I don’t seem to have that section on my 2016 T6. Is it something that was added with the pop top roof?
It definitely won’t stabilise, it will get worse quickly. Treating it will be difficult with the windscreen in place IMO as the rust seems to be in the groove where the windscreen sits. Best talk to a bodyshop.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I should have mentioned that the rubber strip was added as part of the pop top install.

It’s in a really awkward place so I think you are probably right in that the windscreen will likely need to come out!

I was going to say it will be swarf from when the poptop was fitted and will only be surface but on second look it looks like it’s already rusted through and it’s a hole! Definitely body shop asap. Could there be an issue with the poptop causing this? It seems excessive

I was going to say it will be swarf from when the poptop was fitted and will only be surface but on second look it looks like it’s already rusted through and it’s a hole! Definitely body shop asap. Could there be an issue with the poptop causing this? It seems excessive
Most of it is surface but there are definitely some spots that have rusted through the paintwork.

The rubber strip is fitted on quite a few pop tops, they are typically just stuck on with an adhesive and are meant to deflect the wind from getting underneath the pop top. The strange thing is that it looks like the rust may be coming from either underneath the strip or from under the windscreen.

Best get it to a bodyshop asap. Hopefully not too expensive of a repair!

Could be swarf/filings from when pop top was fitted could also be damage if a screen has ever been fitted. Get some fall out remover and try that to clean it up and then into a Bodyshop for assessment if yours still unsure.

Could be swarf/filings from when pop top was fitted could also be damage if a screen has ever been fitted. Get some fall out remover and try that to clean it up and then into a Bodyshop for assessment if yours still unsure.
Thanks. Good call on the fall out remover. Would that be a better option than a rust remover like kurust do you think?

Need a cutting compound in there to clean it up to clean paint to clearly see if it’s surface rust from swarf or it’s coming up through the paint. Any idea if it’s had a screen replacement? Sometimes paint is compromised buy fitter going in heavy handed with his blades

Thanks. Good call on the fall out remover. Would that be a better option than a rust remover like kurust do you think?
Fall out remover should remove any particles, may need two applications then you should be able to see the problem, as said a buff with some compound may help too.

It needs a body shop to make an effective repair, your own efforts will induce added cost and may deter body shops from taking it on. IMO bite the bullet and get a professional quote / repair before there is a perforation.

Thanks all for the help. I’m booked in to see a bodyshop today to see what they say. I’ve also ordered some fall out remover to at least clean it in the meantime.

Fingers crossed its surface rust only!

Need a cutting compound in there to clean it up to clean paint to clearly see if it’s surface rust from swarf or it’s coming up through the paint. Any idea if it’s had a screen replacement? Sometimes paint is compromised buy fitter going in heavy handed with his blades
I reckon it has had a screen replacement at some point as there’s a tiny bit of sealant in one of the corners, which i obviously wouldn’t expect to be there.

Strangely though I only picked the van up in October and the rust has happened since then.

I reckon it has had a screen replacement at some point as there’s a tiny bit of sealant in one of the corners, which i obviously wouldn’t expect to be there.

Strangely though I only picked the van up in October and the rust has happened since then.
Has it been out in the salty roads in recent weeks? That’ll accelerate the rust. Even if parked up there will be salt fallout in the air

Agree with @harveyj09 on this one… very likely to be roof cut fine filings. Anytime a roof or a window is cut in the vehicle should be washed down thoroughly. Like others have said… looks scary but should be a straightforward repair on a pretty small area that doesn’t spread across multiple panels.

Agree with @harveyj09 on this one… very likely to be roof cut fine filings. Anytime a roof or a window is cut in the vehicle should be washed down thoroughly. Like others have said… looks scary but should be a straightforward repair on a pretty small area that doesn’t spread across multiple panels.
Hi there, I am finding windscreen of wvt6. Can you tell me that where is the good online place to buy.

Apologies for only now updating, but this ended up being the outcome. Despite how bad it looked, there was no rust damage at all. All disappeared after a good clean up with some fall out remover!

Thank you all for the advice

Great news! Stills looks like pin holes in the rust on your photo but great that it was all on the surface. Time for some (not so) friendly words with the roof/window fitter ;)

Back