Thoughts on external damage?

Mark99

Hi,

Hopefully you guys don’t mind a post like this. I’ve been after a caravelle for a while and found something that may go cheap. The problem is it looks like it has been treated really poorly but that’s what might make it affordable for me…

Would anyone be willing to give me opinions on the damage and whether anything would be really difficult to repair or a big problem? The main issues are the passenger sill, which has quite a bit of damage and rust to the back and a small indentation at the front and the roof which just has lots of small dents all over. Would either of these issues put you off?

Thanks

passenger_sill.png

passenger_sill_front.png

passenger_sill_under.png

passenger_sill_zoomout.png

roof.png

Unless it's dirt cheap I wouldn't bother. Because by the time you paid to have it rectified, you could have bought a better one with the money you were going to spend rectifying . Not only that if its that rough there's a good chance it won't have been mechanically maintained. But that's just my opinion.

Welcome to the forum.
The roof dents don't appear too serious and I suspect that the paint isn't broken, a paintless dent repairer shouldn't have a problem putting that right.
The sills are another matter..... not an easy repair so you'd have to allow a fair bit in the budget to put that right, which might make the deal a lot less attractive.
The other thing to consider is this - the van clearly wasn't loved or even looked after, what other damage is there that is less obvious?
Was it serviced? As @B.different says, it's unlikely to have been maintained properly and it's probably been driven hard.

Unless it's dirt cheap I wouldn't bother. Because by the time you paid to have it rectified, you could have bought a better one with the money you were going to spend rectifying . Not only that if its that rough there's a good chance it won't have been mechanically maintained. But that's just my opinion.
I totally agree, I’m only interested at the dirt cheap price. The problem I’m finding is that the better ones really are amazingly expensive.

Welcome to the forum.
The roof dents don't appear too serious and I suspect that the paint isn't broken, a paintless dent repairer shouldn't have a problem putting that right.
The sills are another matter..... not an easy repair so you'd have to allow a fair bit in the budget to put that right, which might make the deal a lot less attractive.
The other thing to consider is this - the van clearly wasn't loved or even looked after, what other damage is there that is less obvious?
Was it serviced? As @B.different says, it's unlikely to have been maintained properly and it's probably been driven hard.

Partial service history, nothing from the last couple of years. It has definitely been abused but that’s also sort of attractive because it might just be affordable for me.

I’m kind of hoping at just over 3 years old how bad could it be mechanically?

Any idea what sort of price the sill repair could end up at?

I’d buy it if it were cheap enough.
Pop top roof would sort the dented roof problem and getting the sills repaired professionally isn’t a huge deal.
If the price is right make it a project

Wow 4 years old!! If it's cheap and it fits your bill its worth a gamble. But I would get some quotes and some good pictures to show them.

Partial service history, nothing from the last couple of years. It has definitely been abused but that’s also sort of attractive because it might just be affordable for me.

I’m kind of hoping at just over 3 years old how bad could it be mechanically?

Any idea what sort of price the sill repair could end up at?
T6s can be ferociously expensive to run and even newish ones can have big issues (EGR, DMF….etc) so I would caution against buying a sub-standard one just because it makes it affordable. Poor servicing potentially makes these issues more likely. Have a hunt around the forum at some of the common issues that people have with the T6. Think to yourself if a major repair is affordable in the next few months. Personally I’d have a look at some older but well cared for vehicles (e.g. T5.1). There are some fantastic examples about with owners who have spared no expense in looking after them.

Just an idea depending on what you going to use the van for and how particular you are but a set of side bars on there could take the eye of the majority of that damage to the sills.

T6s can be ferociously expensive to run and even newish ones can have big issues (EGR, DMF….etc) so I would caution against buying a sub-standard one just because it makes it affordable. Poor servicing potentially makes these issues more likely. Have a hunt around the forum at some of the common issues that people have with the T6. Think to yourself if a major repair is affordable in the next few months. Personally I’d have a look at some older but well cared for vehicles (e.g. T5.1). There are some fantastic examples about with owners who have spared no expense in looking after them.
Thanks for replying, this is the sensible approach. I can afford major repairs here and there it’s just the lump sum for a well cared for example that’s a problem in the near future.

Just an idea depending on what you going to use the van for and how particular you are but a set of side bars on there could take the eye of the majority of that damage to the sills.
I’ve got 3 young boys that would love it and it’ll be perfect for trips and such. I actually don’t want a perfect van I’m going to be anal about so this is a great idea if the rust is dealt with, thanks.

Will there be any warranty with it?
If you’re keen on it maybe get a mechanic to do a once over before buying. The RAC and AA used to do pre-purchase surveys, maybe still do, but a recommended local mobile mechanic maybe more suited as the others will just go through a tick sheet and flag up stuff you already know… like the body damage.

My T6 is one of the oldest and will be 8 years old in May. The body work is perfect. I dread to think what that one has been through.

Easy to get a bit precious about the newish van.
I found a teeny tiny rust spot (the size of a small bogey) on my new(!) 22 plate which the vw dealer I just got it off said will put it right (along with the scratched windscreen and possible dodgy battery on its way out).

Day one....
Our first trip out in it - took it for a 10 mile drive into the countryside.
Within a couple of minutes I had slipped over into a mud swamp. Had to negotiate getting back into a sparkling van without getting mud everywhere. Failed.
When we had parked back at home, went to take the muddy shoes out of the footwell and managed to splatter mud into the grills somewhere up in the roof by the emergency buttons.
We can't have nice things.

I had the sill done on an old van - a few hundred at the local body shop. Yours might be completely different of course. Side bars are the first things I put on vans after that!

Reactions: CAB
Back