Wind Out Awning Security

T6Hippo

T6 Pro
Recently bought & fitted a Dometic wind out awning, very happy with it & it's very well made but can't help thinking it's very easy to steal, just 8 small screws! I've replaced with security screws but nothing stopping anyone from buying the adaptor that fits the screws just like I did.
How do people secure their awnings, is there something purpose built/made to secure them on the market??

Recently bought & fitted a Dometic wind out awning, very happy with it & it's very well made but can't help thinking it's very easy to steal, just 8 small screws! I've replaced with security screws but nothing stopping anyone from buying the adaptor that fits the screws just like I did.
How do people secure their awnings, is there something purpose built/made to secure them on the market??
You’re overworrying. If you’re going to lay awake at night worrying about someone nicking your awning, camping’s not for you.

Using a soldering iron, try filling the head of the screws with solder? Use a hot screwdriver (or your adapter) to melt the solder to let you undo the screw. As above, you are probably over worrying especially since there are a number of other things that can easily be removed (wipers etc).

You’re overworrying. If you’re going to lay awake at night worrying about someone nicking your awning, camping’s not for you.
I'm inclined to agree and I'd be more concerned about the hot solder getting on my paint work.
I take my awning off the van in the winter but its a fair bit of effort and takes around 10-20 mins to do. Also you would need a large van to put it in if you were going to steal it and the resale value is so minimal it far out ways the risk.
There is so much expensive kit inside our blow up awnings at night when we are camping that its just something not worth worrying about.
Paint "Stolen from and your postcode" on the back of it. At least then you have the satisfaction of knowing they won't be able to sell it.:thumbsup:

Back