Dometic Awning drip gap.

Currently sat in the rain with drips coming through the awning gap and stumbled across this post. Does the awning need to be detached from the vehicle to fit? And to confirm the adhesive side is attached to the awning and not the vehicle.

Mark the awning case where it meets the brackets front and rear, then take the case off and stick the foam to the case between the marks and remount the case is the way I did it.

Currently sat in the rain with drips coming through the awning gap and stumbled across this post. Does the awning need to be detached from the vehicle to fit? And to confirm the adhesive side is attached to the awning and not the vehicle.
Well I just left the awning attached to our van. Measured the gap between the brackets holding the awning to the van.
I then gave the inside of the awning case a good cleaning, then pealed the paper backing of the rubber then carefully inserted in between the gap. I fitted the rubber around 12months ago and it's never moved and keeps rain water out. Perfect.

Well I just left the awning attached to our van. Measured the gap between the brackets holding the awning to the van.
I then gave the inside of the awning case a good cleaning, then pealed the paper backing of the rubber then carefully inserted in between the gap. I fitted the rubber around 12months ago and it's never moved and keeps rain water out. Perfect.
The adhesive side goes on the the awning case..

Well I've now noticed a problem with my passenger door..on opening the door the step is wet thru after its been raining. I wondered what was causing that to happen.
I sat and thought about the cause and realised that since fitting the awning with the anti drip rubber between the van and awning, water gathers on the rubber.
When the van brakes while driving all the water collected on the rubber seal shoots forward and runs down the passenger window.
If you open the passenger window while driving and brake, you get a free shower.
I'm not 100% sure that's the cause of the door step being wet thru, but it's sure a culprit!!

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
Just found this post while looking for a solution to the same problem, will have to get some ordered. cheers Roblee

Our Dometic awning always collects rain water parked up on the drive, we have to make sure the passenger window is rolled up before moving!

I'm not 100% sure that's the cause of the door step being wet thru, but it's sure a culprit!!
It's likely, the windows don't seal 100% so there are drains in the bottom of the door to let any water out the gets around the rubber strips.

Back