Dometic Awning drip gap.

Roblee

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Dometic roll out awning, stop the rain from dripping between the awning and the van.
I couldn't find a Dometic product for this problem, Fiamma make one, but I don't know if it would fit the Dometic one though.
I've find a solution, 1in x 1in marine Neoprene one side adhesive rubber draft exclusion works great, only cheap if you look round the Internet.
A added bonus is the van is a lot quieter now that the wind can't gush between the awning and the van when travelling, especially on the motorway, I was amazed at the difference.

20221026_114715.jpg

20221026_114344~2.jpg

20221026_114515.jpg

I only fitted it a few days ago and it was sunny that day, its rained mostly ever since.
I went for a long drive yesterday on the motorway and its still stuck to the awning. So Fingers crossed, I will let you know.
The adhesive does seem strong.
Is posting links to products allowed on the forum?
It was only £14 for 2 metres, comes in 1 metre lengths, I ordered 2 lengths just right.

Forgot to mention, I asked the seller if he would sell it as 1 length ( 2 metres long ) and he said yes. The middle section of the gap is over a metre on my van.
The all gap took 3 pieces to cover.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, I ask the seller if he would sell it as 1 length ( 2 metres long) and he said yes. The middle section of the gap is over a metre on my van.
Do you have a link for it. Question is, will the glue hold long term?

Reactions: CAB
Can't see from the photos, have you wedged it into the gap or placed it above ?
It's stuck to the back of the awning and wedged in the gap.
That keeps the rubber in place and stops it moving.
Just been out to our van and It's raining realy hard at the moment and theres no rain drops underneath.

It's stuck to the back of the awning and wedged in the gap.
That keeps the rubber in place and stops it moving.
Just been out to our van and It's raining realy hard at the moment and theres no rain drops underneath.
It would be better to measure the gap between your van and the awning, 1in was ample for my van.
They make all different sizes to fit any gap.

Here's another picture from the top of the awning.
The rubber was soaking wet but still stuck to the awning.
Don't forget to clean that part of the awning where the rubber will adhere to before applying the rubber.

IMG20221029135805.jpg

IMG20221029135847.jpg

I ended up buying the Thule foam gasket (at an eyewatering £40 for two 2m lengths) because that was the only way I could find a length over a metre long.
This may make it more reasonable though the Thule stuff was 25mm thick x 30mm wide.

I ended up buying the Thule foam gasket (at an eyewatering £40 for two 2m lengths) because that was the only way I could find a length over a metre long.
This may make it more reasonable though the Thule stuff was 25mm thick x 30mm wide.
Did the Thule foam gasket work though?

Yes, it's still doing its job over a year later. I still have the second strip in the garage unused.

Yes, it's still doing its job over a year later. I still have the second strip in the garage unused.
Well a least in worked, did you notice the difference in wind noise after fitting. The ebay product rubber seal is free postage as well.

It went on when I fitted the awning so nothing to compare. It was more to stop the rain dripping over the door than anything else.

Here's another picture from the top of the awning.
The rubber was soaking wet but still stuck to the awning.
Don't forget to clean that part of the awning where the rubber will adhere to before applying the rubber.

View attachment 177664

View attachment 177666
I have the same issue with my Dometic awning, I have just done the same thing as you, it’s a great idea.42DEAE41-5D9E-4996-ACC2-69082A0A4C53.jpeg
just needs to see now if it works.

Thank you.

I have the same issue with my Dometic awning, I have just done the same thing as you, it’s a great idea.View attachment 193767
just needs to see now if it works.

Thank you.
Well I can report that the rubber is still attached to the awning, it's coped all winter and we have been down the motorway several times at speeds around 65mph and it never came loose. . It also never rained between the van and awning. The only negative I can report is, if you open the pasenger window next to the driver, and leave the window open while travelling, and the van brakes, water comes dripping from the end of the awning into the opened window. Not a big problem but it did soak the passenger..Lol

Well I can report that the rubber is still attached to the awning, it's coped all winter and we have been down the motorway several times at speeds around 65mph and it never came loose. . It also never rained between the van and awning. The only negative I can report is, if you open the pasenger window next to the driver, and leave the window open while travelling, and the van brakes, water comes dripping from the end of the awning into the opened window. Not a big problem but it did soak the passenger..Lol
Lol, that’s cool. It’s raining here now so I will check it out. thank you for the update.

Back