Wind deflectors - my comparison.

I’ve got (had) a Heko on the driver’s side only. Been reading this thread as I want one on the passenger side too and they are only available in pairs so thought I’d just buy a pair of Heko.
Anyway, just wound the window down and my Heko just fell out onto the floor.
Luckily I was parked up.

Last edited:
I’ve got (had) a Heko on the driver’s side only. Been reading this thread as I want one on the passenger side too and they are only available in pairs so thought I’d just buy a pair of Heko.
Luckily I was parked up.
Time for a pair of Climair’s then!? That might’ve caused some damage (to your van or somebody else) if it’d come off when you were travelling?

Time for a pair of Climair’s then!? That might’ve caused some damage (to your van or somebody else) if it’d come off when you were travelling?
It’s been rattling for ages as soon as I open the window just a touch.
So while sat in a car park thought I’d see why it was rattling and it just fell on the floor.
Could easily have flown off whilst driving with the window down.
Anyway, I’ve replaced the double sided tape and relocated the clips and it’s perfect now.
Will get some climair soon though. But it’s ok for now.

I have see quite a few posts on wind deflectors, so thought I would my thoughts.

I have now had 3 different types so maybe can help others with a choice. The ones I have used (in the order I used them), with pros and cons are:

1. VW OEM:

These stick on the outside onto the painted surface of the door around the window. (cant comment on fitting as they were on the van when I got it)

Pros: Pretty quiet
Cons: Not the most attractive, eventually they started to come away and were very difficult to remove and left a slight 'shadow' in the paint, most expensive of the 3.

2. Team Heko:

These tuck onto the channel where the window glass goes.

Pros: Look great, ok to fit but the clips can be fiddly, cheapest of the 3.
Cons: Fitting needs double sided sticky stuff and metal clips but this has caused some people to have issues with the windows re opening when they get to the top. Worst con for me was because of the metal clips preventing the window sealing fully there was always a slight whistling wind noise especially when get above 50mph.

3. ClimAir:

These also fit in the window glass channel. However the differences are they dont use the sticky tape or metal clips, but a small bracket on the end near the mirrors.

Pros: Look great, easy to fit, the most difficult being drilling a small 1mm hole in the black plastic trim, I believe them to be the quietest of the 3 (close with OEM) no whistling noise like the Heko.
Cons: Having to drill a tiny hole on the plastic mirror trim.

Overall in my opinion the ClimAir are the best as the advantages over the others outweigh drilling the tiny hole for the bracket.

HTH
Many thanks for this. First time poster. I found this post a few weeks ago and I just spent the last 10 minutes fitting the ClimAir onto VanHalla and they are indeed a piece of cake to install. My biggest problem was the 1mm drill-bit snapped on me drilling the second hole. Luckily left just enough of a thread remaining to get the job done. They look great, very snug and don't protrude noticeably. Fingers crossed they pass the motorway whistle test. Cheers @Skyliner33

Many thanks for this. First time poster. I found this post a few weeks ago and I just spent the last 10 minutes fitting the ClimAir onto VanHalla and they are indeed a piece of cake to install. My biggest problem was the 1mm drill-bit snapped on me drilling the second hole. Luckily left just enough of a thread remaining to get the job done. They look great, very snug and don't protrude noticeably. Fingers crossed they pass the motorway whistle test. Cheers @Skyliner33
Glad it was useful and welcome to the forum.

Luckily I was parked up.
I have a passenger Heko going a-begging now!

This is going to hurt, so I'm just going to adopt the brace position and suffer the abuse!

Had my van with a dealer to "All in" eligibility check this morning............he takes it out on a road test and comes back with the driver's Heko on the passenger seat after he had to pull over and recover it from where it fell off during the road test. (I even had extra clips in!!!)

So, @Skyliner33 - looks like I'll be buying some Climair.

(*JOG braces himself!)

I have a passenger Heko going a-begging now!
Are you going to the Sept meet at Sibbertoft? I’d be interested in having the passenger deflector.
Mines be rock solid since I refitted it.

No I'm not. I'm down near Andover, Hampshire so if you know someone down this way who is going, I'm happy to meet them beforehand to take to Sibbertoft for you.

No I'm not. I'm down near Andover, Hampshire so if you know someone down this way who is going, I'm happy to meet them beforehand to take to Sibbertoft for you.
hi Jog you make it sound like your miles away Down in Andover your actually closer than me in Reigate, Sibbertoft is only 123 miles away a1/4 tank of fuel each way 103 miles for you

hi Jog you make it sound like your miles away Down in Andover your actually closer than me in Reigate, Sibbertoft is only 123 miles away a1/4 tank of fuel each way 103 miles for you
Doubtless I am closer to Sibbertoft than I am to Huddersfield too! Care to swing by and collect on your way?!!

Doubtless I am closer to Sibbertoft than I am to Huddersfield too! Care to swing by and collect on your way?!!
your 70 miles away and a 3 hour round trip, be cheaper if i buy BigDavies a complete set lol

Sibbertoft is only 123 miles for me ... but i' ll see if i can get a visit to my daughter down in Poole before the 24th would take me passed your door.

I have see quite a few posts on wind deflectors, so thought I would my thoughts.

I have now had 3 different types so maybe can help others with a choice. The ones I have used (in the order I used them), with pros and cons are:

1. VW OEM:

These stick on the outside onto the painted surface of the door around the window. (cant comment on fitting as they were on the van when I got it)

Pros: Pretty quiet
Cons: Not the most attractive, eventually they started to come away and were very difficult to remove and left a slight 'shadow' in the paint, most expensive of the 3.

2. Team Heko:

These tuck onto the channel where the window glass goes.

Pros: Look great, ok to fit but the clips can be fiddly, cheapest of the 3.
Cons: Fitting needs double sided sticky stuff and metal clips but this has caused some people to have issues with the windows re opening when they get to the top. Worst con for me was because of the metal clips preventing the window sealing fully there was always a slight whistling wind noise especially when get above 50mph.

3. ClimAir:

These also fit in the window glass channel. However the differences are they dont use the sticky tape or metal clips, but a small bracket on the end near the mirrors.

Pros: Look great, easy to fit, the most difficult being drilling a small 1mm hole in the black plastic trim, I believe them to be the quietest of the 3 (close with OEM) no whistling noise like the Heko.
Cons: Having to drill a tiny hole on the plastic mirror trim.

Overall in my opinion the ClimAir are the best as the advantages over the others outweigh drilling the tiny hole for the bracket.

HTH
dubflecta were good but who knows what happened there, climair are good though, i dropped the tiny screw in a puddle and still found it lol

I’ve fitted both before and never really found any difference between heko or climair?

If anything climair are a bit thicker and this puts more stress on the window motor,

ThIs time I fitted heko without sticky back plastic or the stupid metal clips which definitely let wind noise in, I ran a bead of sikaflex along the window rubber where both meet and ran my finger across it all the way along and round where it goes behind the mirror.

Don’t be tempted to undo the window once applied it has to set. When it’s cured they are solid, zero wind noise and has a water tight bead around it, the seal is neat as I put a thin daub along the entirely and smoothed off with washing up liquid in water.

Just passing on my application method, not for everyone I know but ?

Have to say, I've had my hekos in since having the van 2.5 yrs ago. Straight out of box and fitted with no extra tape or fixings. No wind noise and window closes as it should. You must be fitting them wrong

Have to say, I've had my hekos in since having the van 2.5 yrs ago. Straight out of box and fitted with no extra tape or fixings. No wind noise and window closes as it should. You must be fitting them wrong
No when you put the metal clips in then it is impossible for the window to shut as far as it did without them. You cant put a piece of metal in the way and the window go up as far as it did before.

No when you put the metal clips in then it is impossible for the window to shut as far as it did without them. You cant put a piece of metal in the way and the window go up as far as it did before.
Totally agree with that. What I'm saying is I don't get any wind noise and they haven't worked loose either. There was a wink at the end of my post but for some reason, it doesn't show.

Back