Will my 20” wheels affect my speedometer?

I was always lead to believe that from the factory any car or van speedo was north allowed to read under the actual speed. But anything up to 10% under is acceptable.

i.e. Actual speed of, say, 70 mph - speedo reading anything up-to 77 is ok

Same actual speed of 70 mph - speedo reading, 69 or lower is not ok
There's truth in what you say. In recognition that speedos are inherently inaccurate, the law (certainly UK law) states that a speedo must be within accurate within 10% at 30mph and at 70mph. However, there's also EU legislation that prohibits speedos from under reporting a vehicle's speed. To ensure compliance with both, speedos are calibrated to show a speed about 10% more than the measurement at the wheel.

Interesting article here

Speedometers are getting more accurate and Police are reducing their speed camera thresholds.

My T6.1 Speedo is actually pretty accurate on stock 205/65R16’s
I think that you have to individually check your van with a GPS to be sure of how accurate your own speedo is and not go by others to a degree, as unless you’ve owned it from new, who is to say whether yours or theirs hasn’t been recoded at some time.

I tested mine yesterday as I'm going to a larger 235/55/18 friday from 255/45/18 and wanted to know the difference.
28 at indicated 30
37 at indicated 40
67 at indicated 70
Interesting to see what new ones will be.

The issue with speedo accuracy is that it measures rotation - either at the wheel or the axle - but the distance travelled per rotation will vary depending on, amongst other things. how much tread you have remaining on your tyre. For that reason, even for the same vehicle, you won't get a consistent measure of accuracy.

Interesting article here

Speedometers are getting more accurate and Police are reducing their speed camera thresholds.

My T6.1 Speedo is actually pretty accurate on stock 205/65R16’s
I think that you have to individually check your van with a GPS to be sure of how accurate your own speedo is and not go by others to a degree, as unless you’ve owned it from new, who is to say whether yours or theirs hasn’t been recoded at some time.
Speedos are unlikely to be getting more accurate unless they fundamentally change the way in which they calculate speed.

The article shows that they are becoming more accurate. It can be as simple as the option to programme the correct wheel size into the relevant "control unit" for all the different options rather than an average, leading to a better calculation. Depends on how accurate the variable is being worked with. Mine is within 3% from the factory.

The article shows that they are becoming more accurate. It can be as simple as the option to programme the correct wheel size into the relevant "control unit" for all the different options rather than an average, leading to a better calculation. Depends on how accurate the variable is being worked with. Mine is within 3% from the factory.
The article provides no evidence of increased speedo accuracy - it merely references a comment made by Edmund King (President of the AA): "King added that, with speedometers becoming increasingly accurate...”. Even if we accept that comment at face value, the accuracy of the speedo of an individual vehicle will vary as tyre pressure and tread depth vary across the lifetime of the tyres. Such inaccuracies are inherent in using the number of rotations to calculate distance travelled.

They test a group of vehicles at the end of the article and provide a table as to accuracy. The old my Speedo under reads by 10% so I can drive faster and still not break the limit doesn't work on newer vehicles.
in fact the error tends to stay as a fixed value regardless of speed rather than as a percentage.
Can't comment on a T6, as I haven't looked into it but on a T6.1 different values are factory coded between a 205/65/16 and a 215/60/17 when the error between the two is only 2.79%. Looks like they are going to some effort, even though the difference in radius is only 9.65mm.
In fact looking at that difference going from max tread to the legal min, the Speedo difference would be of the order of 2% over the tread life, so the argument about tread depth is a white elephant. Tyre pressures would have a greater effect, but if you are running them out of spec, I'd expect wear issues and what would be the purpose?
What wheels size and tyres are you running and how accurate is your Speedo?

Last edited:
The old my Speedo under reads by 10% so I can drive faster and still not break the limit doesn't work on newer vehicles.
Well, it sort of does still apply. You're unlikely to get a speeding ticket if you're driving within 10% of the applicable limit - not because the authorities like to be lenient, but in recognition of the inherent inaccuracy of the speedo design (same reason the legal tolerance for speedos is 10% @ 30mph and 70mph). So, whilst you may be driving at 77 with your speedo accurately showing 77, someone else could be driving at 77 with their speedo showing 70 and the authorities have no idea if you're knowingly speeding or not (despite both speedos reading within required tolerance).
...the Speedo difference would be of the order of 2% over the tread life, so the argument about tread depth is a white elephant. Tyre pressures would have a greater effect, but if you are running them out of spec, I'd expect wear issues and what would be the purpose?
Tread depth isn't a red herring, it's merely one contributory factor to the inherent inaccuracy of speedos. Re tyre pressures, I was referring to reduced pressure due to lack of maintenance, rather than deliberately running tyres out of spec, (though there are also those who deliberately run their van at lower pressures in order to to gain comfort).

Well, it sort of does still apply. You're unlikely to get a speeding ticket if you're driving within 10% of the applicable limit - not because the authorities like to be lenient, but in recognition of the inherent inaccuracy of the speedo design (same reason the legal tolerance for speedos is 10% @ 30mph and 70mph). So, whilst you may be driving at 77 with your speedo accurately showing 77, someone else could be driving at 77 with their speedo showing 70 and the authorities have no idea if you're knowingly speeding or not (despite both speedos reading within required tolerance).

Tread depth isn't a red herring, it's merely one contributory factor to the inherent inaccuracy of speedos. Re tyre pressures, I was referring to reduced pressure due to lack of maintenance, rather than deliberately running tyres out of spec, (though there are also those who deliberately run their van at lower pressures in order to to gain comfort).

Thinking about your answer I’m not sure why the Police do add on 10%. It is actually lenient of them as speedos aren’t legally allowed to under report your speed.
In the list of tested vehicles, taking SEAT as an example (as it’s part of VAG), the vehicle tested stayed accurately 1mph under the displayed speed throughout the speed range. I reckon a more complicated calculation / algorithm must be being used to calculate speed, otherwise the discrepancy wouldn’t be constant and would be a percentage error as per the calculators on sites like willtheyfit.com

On a side note.
The average speed cameras that previously couldn’t differentiate between a people carrier and van are being changed.
The commercial vehicles that previously got away with sitting at 70mph are starting to get done as their speed limit is 60mph on a motorway.
My pal found out the hard way travelling to Glasgow and back. He got done in his small van doing 70mph on the way there and on the way back.
They also tried to do my pal in his T5 camper. The same but on the A9.
He wrote to them stating his van is registered as a camper and insured as one and asked them to specify the limits to him.
They told him to disregard the fine saying it was an error ?
Anyway they seem to be changing them to differentiate between commercial and non commercial vehicles.
Doesn’t seem to apply to the Aberdeen dual carriageway yet.

Thinking about your answer I’m not sure why the Police do add on 10%. It is actually lenient of them as speedos aren’t legally allowed to under report your speed.
In the list of tested vehicles, taking SEAT as an example (as it’s part of VAG), the vehicle tested stayed accurately 1mph under the displayed speed throughout the speed range. I reckon a more complicated calculation / algorithm must be being used to calculate speed, otherwise the discrepancy wouldn’t be constant and would be a percentage error as per the calculators on sites like willtheyfit.com
Hmm, I'm guessing the requirement not to under-report wouldn't have been applied retrospectively, so, theoretically at least. there'll still be cars on the road that that doesn't apply to. Re the discrepancy not representing a constant percentage, I can't offer an explanation based on how I believe speedos work.

Definitely - yes.

My T6.1 came with 20" wheels, fitted by company who converted to camper.
Did not take long to notice that the Garmin SatNav would be claiming 60mph when the speedo readout on the dash said 57. Same with NextBase DashCam.

Changed to 17" last year and now all the technology reports the same speed.

When checking against GPS speed it's worth remembering there are zero regulations about it's accuracy in most devices. It's averaging your changing position and those positions themselves have an inherent amount of error. In modern phones position is calculated by data other than GPS as well which further complicates things.

If you do compare make sure it's on a straight road for a reasonable period of time ideally with cruise control or careful driving to maintain a set speed.

When checking against GPS speed it's worth remembering there are zero regulations about it's accuracy in most devices. It's averaging your changing position and those positions themselves have an inherent amount of error. In modern phones position is calculated by data other than GPS as well which further complicates things.

If you do compare make sure it's on a straight road for a reasonable period of time ideally with cruise control or careful driving to maintain a set speed.
Thanks that’s my plan.
But currently Scooby is going nowhere
IMG_5610.jpeg

I've considered this before. GPS has to be accurate otherwise it would drift off and you'd get lost! The only error I could see that would make speed inaccurate would be timing but that must have miniscule tolerances.

Last edited:
I tested mine yesterday as I'm going to a larger 235/55/18 friday from 255/45/18 and wanted to know the difference.
28 at indicated 30
37 at indicated 40
67 at indicated 70
Interesting to see what new ones will be.
@PaulR83 Can you feed back when you’ve fitted them please

Back