Will by 2016 180 BiTD be a good engine? Better than the T5.1 one?

amdowney

T6 TSI Manual Kombi Highline LWB
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have read a few bad sories about this in the T5 but is this improved?

I hope it's not noiser than my 102 T5.1 which I've been happy with ang generally trouble free?

I was going for a new euro6 but am kind of pleased I won't be messing about with Add Blue and the potential for more to go wrong... Don't do many miles also.

Last edited:
Way quieter than the old ones and the mechanical issues have all been fixed, most problems on modern engines always seem to be emissions related- dpf/egr etc and as you state the euro 5 is way less complicated and no adblue.

The older engine is like chalk and cheese compared to the newer versions , so if you need to make decisions base them on info from t6 equipped 180's rather than early t5's.

Thats what I have, its done 37K now fault free, fast and quite that my partners 5.1 180 biturbo. Doesn't use any oil. very pleased with it.

Mines a EU5 180BiTDi, no issues at all and much quieter than what was in my Amarok and without the oil consumption. Give the choice I would wait for a EU6 to come up though.

Ok so it does seem as if the later 180s are an improvement. You would have thought VW would have fixed any known issues so not to hamper the reputation of the T6.

Ours was an early 180; the EGR system ran way too hot on all of them causing failure.
When they brought out the BMT ones, things seemed to improve. Sounds like the T6 version is better again.

I think that the Euro5 engines in the early T6 are basically the same engine as were in the later T5.1.
So, a 180BiTD in a late T5.1 will be the same as a 180BiTD in a T6.
The Eu6 version of the BiTD is a 204.

I think that the Euro5 engines in the early T6 are basically the same engine as were in the later T5.1.
So, a 180BiTD in a late T5.1 will be the same as a 180BiTD in a T6.
The Eu6 version of the BiTD is a 204.
That's what I thought

My Euro 5 180 bi-tdi is brilliant. Economy is fantastic (top end 40's), drives superb even when towing. And even better mine has a manual box.

In the T5.1, the reliability seemed to shoot up when they introduced BMT in about 2013. Must have run the EGR system cooler or something.
When recommending T5.1s (had a few mates tap me for my nerd VW van knowledge) I've always recommended the 140 engine.

Mates are about to get a new T6 Beach and their 62 plate 180 Kombi has been a shocker - no end of issues and MASSIVE oil consumption.

Back