7 years with a T5.1 - thinking of some updates

The Cardinal

Hello everyone :)

We bought a lovely T5.1 in 2016 from local converters Danbury, and since then it's become indispensable to our family. The paint and matching interior were done on purchase, and the base van is a 2013 Startline. It's had a pretty much trouble-free 62k miles so far, being standard other than a 170hp remap for about 6 years.

I have a long history with performance cars and modifications, but as you can see below I've kept the van pretty much no-frills in terms of looks.

IMG-1634.jpg
IMG-1843.jpg

It's due a few new parts this year, so I was thinking of giving it a new lease of life. The plan is to fit Bilstein B14 Komfort suspension and 19 or 20" steel smoothie wheels like this, which I think would match the vibe of the van.

van-mod.jpg

The van is usually loaded with 4 people and stuff, driven pretty sedately. It mainly gets used on motorways, with some use on smaller roads and sometimes with a towbar-mounted bike rack. Usually once or twice a month, occasional runs to Europe - 3-5k miles per year.

I hoped you could give me your views on:

- whether there's much difference between 19 or 20" wheels
- the ideal tyre sizes
- if the ride is going to be ruinous and / or compromise

Thanks in advance

That's great - thanks Pewt. Ideally I'd like to have one visit to sort wheels, suspension and possibly a few other things like lights.

Like with anything.. lowering suspension and bigger wheels will stiffen up things in ride to be consider..

Last edited by a moderator:
If deciding to go for 19" wheels, check out tyre prices of your size. I found 19s to be less competitive. It was a good few years ago now and I can't remember the size I required, but it was much more expensive than some 20s.
I think them wheels would suit the look of the van too

Back