Wider Spare-Wheel Carrier

Not sure whether your cage is different, as I’ve got a 16” spare (205 width) and it’s very secure.... :confused:

Knowing my luck it will be a different one.
Not sure if there are different ones on the market. I will have a look around
Thanks
Nathan.

As Spag suggests, try the other notch. I've got a 16" spare and it's held very securely.
Ajyay would you be able to measure the two black studs which the bolts go through just behind the bumper for me if you get a chance
Kind regards
Nathan.

Do you mean the width between them or the size of the thread? Sorry for being thicker than usual but I'm an idiot on mechanical / engineering stuff. I'm just going out but will do the measurement later and let you know later this morning if you answer this. Cheers.

Do you mean the width between them or the size of the thread? Sorry for being thicker than usual but I'm an idiot on mechanical / engineering stuff. I'm just going out but will do the measurement later and let you know later this morning if you answer this. Cheers.
Hi ayjay no the length of them I will send a pic
Cheers Nathan.

51340ABD-F6FD-40B5-9221-BEE4E4AA6144.jpeg

854DD9F7-AEAD-4AC0-99E5-8F08534414BB.jpeg

I think the answer is roughly 12mm (about the same as the bolt head!) but it's partly obscured by a piece of plastic. FWIW, the bolt itself is 50mm. In any event, it doesn't look much like your picture. Here it is - ignore the right hand bolt and if you think it looks weird it's because I have added an old socket to the locking bolt stop any prospective thieving toerags from crushing the revolving collar with mole grips and nicking the spare. Hope this helps - let me know if you need anything else.
002.jpg

Our converter has a Sportline 18" wheel which we were going to have as a spare, but he's just gone to fit it into the new spare wheel carrier, and he says it's too big. Is there any way to make it fit, or alternatively, is there another wheel that will fit in the spare wheel carrier, that will give the same rolling radius as our 17" Edition alloys? Ta!

i think you will find you get a longer bolt for the under wheel carrier so that you can fit the wider 18" (you prob have the shorter bolt fitted)

To Be Confirmed . . . . . . ?

And doesn’t the hangar have two holes, with the upper hole suitable for hanging wider wheels?

Aha! So all may not be lost :p

Just need longer bolts.

Edit: What's the thread on the bolts? I can pop round the corner to our local fixings place and get some longer ones.

I posted this a while ago...the spline drive bolt is longer anyway!

I posted this a while ago...the spline drive bolt is longer anyway!

We're just weighting up the options on the security of it, the wheel (and tyre) was £50, the security devices seem to cost £45....

Might just get a spline drive and a put it inside a hole saw. Also, could we not just put a sleeve on the opposite side, which would stop anyone grabbing the thread with mole grips?

Our converter has a Sportline 18" wheel which we were going to have as a spare, but he's just gone to fit it into the new spare wheel carrier, and he says it's too big. Is there any way to make it fit, or alternatively, is there another wheel that will fit in the spare wheel carrier, that will give the same rolling radius as our 17" Edition alloys? Ta!
My T6 Transporter has a rib bed fitted which is secured by a long bar underneath. I have a 235/55r17 spare wheel. When the spare wheel carrier is in the lowest position it has a space of 200mm to the rib bed bar. Does anyone know how I could lower the bracket further ? I need atleast 35mm

Use longer bolt and carriers sometimes have 2 holes so you can extend down on pivot side. Cheers Ian:thumbsup:

Back