Spare Wheel Bracket

Hi, I don’t know if anyone has any advice on this. I’ve bought a steel spare wheel size R17 215/60 for my 18plate T6. I’ve fitted it today under the van and it’s been a real faff. I had to jack the bracket up the wheel sits in so it can reach the holes for the nuts. I've had to let some pressure out of the tyre and on tightening the nuts I’ve stopped at the point in the image without the bracket fully reaching the top. It seems pretty solid but I’m worried about the pressure on the nuts. Is this safe to travel with wheel like this? IMG_7321.jpegHave I done something wrong. Sorry, I’m new to T6’s/ vans so and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

When putting the wheel back in position you need to tinker with it to get it correctly positioned, use the wheel brace as a lifting tool ( it fits into the bracket between the two bolts).
It looks in the photo like you've got it all the way up, only the bolt on the right will go all the way.

Also, if you look at the bracket hinge there is two positions, make sure yours is in the lowest it gives more room for wider tyres.

Thanks both for the info. I’ll have another look at it in the morning. We’ve our first trip away tomorrow so I don’t fancy loosing it on the M6!

Which way is the spare placed on the cradle? I took my spare off on Saturday and it was outer side, facing downwards.

IMG20240330122423.jpg

Thanks Dave. I’ll be got the outside facing down too. Do you know if yours has been set to the lower hinge on the bracket?

I can have a look tomorrow, but it's the original steel wheel in there so I imagine the narrower tyre setting?
I have a set of Devonports for summer use but the fifth steel stays on the cradle all year round.

Thanks Dave. Don’t worry about putting yourself out. I’m going to drop the wheel tomorrow and have another look at it. Thanks.

I have a standard 17" steel spare that I had to deploy after the pothole and putting it back in was an absolute mission. Definitely second the you have to jiggle it a bit as the tyre binds up on the side of the well, also if the official wheel brace is handy it hooks into the end to make life easier, I'd say it would have been much easier with 2 folks, one to lift and one to jiggle. I couldn't get to my brace (rear kitchen pod) but a sturdy pole helped.

I would also say if you get it out again consider protecting the wheel a bit. I have a 21 plate 6.1 and the from-new steel spare was seriously rusty from all the road spray. I layered it in silver hammerite before it went back, if I need it I don't care what it looks like but I want it sound!

I'll second @roadtripper 's comment about the state of the spare, I haven't had a spare fitted for over a year, I asked Steve @CRS Performance to remove it for me when he sorted my suspension, it was indeed as fusty as ruck. With a trip to Skye in August and an up-plating to T31 status (from T28) I can now afford that bit of extra weight and peace of mind. A coat of Kurust and 2 coats of silver hammerite has brought it up like newish. I'm now just missing the 'hinge pin' bit that is now seemingly lost forever. Has anyone got a spare pin? Please!

I have a standard 17" steel spare that I had to deploy after the pothole and putting it back in was an absolute mission. Definitely second the you have to jiggle it a bit as the tyre binds up on the side of the well, also if the official wheel brace is handy it hooks into the end to make life easier, I'd say it would have been much easier with 2 folks, one to lift and one to jiggle. I couldn't get to my brace (rear kitchen pod) but a sturdy pole helped.

I would also say if you get it out again consider protecting the wheel a bit. I have a 21 plate 6.1 and the from-new steel spare was seriously rusty from all the road spray. I layered it in silver hammerite before it went back, if I need it I don't care what it looks like but I want it sound!
Thanks for tip on protecting the wheel! I didn’t even consider that and it’s completely exposed. Cheers.

Back