Who's Coasting?

Mojo

Photographer
T6 Guru
I've had the coasting function switched on constantly from new in October and have now done 2500 miles (yeah, I know..but I work mostly from home).
Anyway a couple of days ago I thought I'd try driving with coasting off..Well what a revelation! I must be touching the brakes about a quarter of the amount I was before plus I don't constantly feel like I'm closing in on the car in front! The van just feels easier and more natural to drive now. So this got me to thinking about the possible fuel savings of coasting versus the cost of pads and disks etc. (especially the big buggers on my T32)
Anyone else thought similar??

I have had the coasting mode on mine from new, are switch it off and give it a go. Will be interesting to see how much worse the fuel consumption is but as you say, may save on brake pads.

Last edited:
I have had the coasting mode on mine from new, are switch it off and give it a go. Will be interesting if it how much worse the fuel consumption is but as you say may save on brakes pads.
@StudleyGlass I'd be interested to see what you think, give it a go...I'll be keeping an eye on the consumption too to see if it makes much difference...

Forgive my ignorance... what's the coasting function? Is it a Euro 6 / Highline thing (Euro 5 Trendline Bluemotion here)

Mines been on after first week find it fine, but I tend to drive old school, leave plenty of room and reduce braking by anticipating where I can.

I really don't get this coasting thing. In a manual car coasting means you stick it in neutral and let the car will. The engine idles and uses fuel to idle. Where in gear you use the natural momentum on the car to turn the engine and thus uses no fuel on injection engines.

So how is it different on dsg?
I can't see it being as fuel efficient as leaving it in gear if I use the logic I just mentioned.

Unless you're a drink coaster sales man and coasting is the term used to describe youre job.

Coasting switches off if you have brakes on and engine braking kicks in so I can't see much difference in brake wear to be honest
Advance driving course suggest to use brakes as cheaper to repair than gearbox or clutch so still not sure which method is best

Coasting seems to give me + 2-3 mpg last time I compared to having it switched off. I guess not turning the engine means you slow down less and throttle isn't needed as soon?

Forgive my ignorance... what's the coasting function? Is it a Euro 6 / Highline thing (Euro 5 Trendline Bluemotion here)
Coasting is an automatic function on a euro 6 with DSG. When the engine is upto temp and pressure, when you lift off the throttle and the van is moving forward, the gearbox senses it and effectively sticks itself into neutral. Then when you brake or apply the throttle again it jumps straight back into gear.
Had it on my Euro 6 engined A6 s-tronic. Equally on that if when you lifted off the accelerator and it did not automatically drop into coasting mode, if you flipped the 'up-shift' paddle, it would do it that way.

Coasting seems to give me + 2-3 mpg last time I compared to having it switched off. I guess not turning the engine means you slow down less and throttle isn't needed as soon?

From my research online that seems to be the case. Diesel engines have huge amounts of engine braking compared to petrol so you save more fuel on idle and travelling further versus slowing with engine breaking and getting on the throttle again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it also depends where you live...lots of hills here in Yorkshire so I find I am constantly having to dab the brakes just to re-engage the dsg gears to stop the van rolling freely and gathering speed, I was always taught to use the engine braking down hill to prevent overheating the brakes.

You can select "Coasting Function' from your Computer.

I've had mine on from new & it works well.

Seems to know if engine braking is required & adjusts accordingly.

Mind you, I have flappy paddles so can just click down a gear if so desired :D

I guess it also depends where you live...lots of hills here in Yorkshire so I find I am constantly having to dab the brakes just to re-engage the dsg gears to stop the van rolling freely and gathering speed, I was always taught to use the engine braking down hill to prevent overheating the brakes.
Also Yorkshire based, still use coasting function don't find it means I brake a lot, just need to anticipate more but have the big brakes when need them. What IS nice is that VW give the driver the option which is more than you can say for mirror folding......

I switched mine off after a couple of days of having the van. I really didn't like the "clunking" back into gear.

I have the coasting on full time now up to 23k if I'm going down a long steep hill tend to slip it into neutral

I find it fine. Just need to tap the break if you want it to disengage and I often slip it into sport when approaching roundabouts, sliproads etc for some engine breaking as the lower gear selection provided is better and it turns coasting off all the time when in sport.

I like the function.

I've always had the coasting switched on. Is great on the motorway on those long downhills it's the only time I go over 60 mph. As for steep downhills I live in Yorkshire but compared to where we go in Cornwall it's flat. No problems going down hill just a quick tap on the brakes and it's back in gear. It's like the blue motion. When your coming to a stop at a junction just take the pressure off the brakes slightly and the engine keeps running. A little practice and you soon get used to it.

Back