Top end tapping noise on cold startup

Bulldogboy

Morning chaps I've recently bought a T6 102 PS on a 2018 plate ,with 54k on the clock.
Its a V.W approved vehicle, a few times on start up, theres a pronounced tapping noise from the engine, after its been driven 100 yards it goes, and it doesnt always do it when you start the van, its only from a cold start.
Is this something i should be concerned about? Theres no oil pressure warning lights, I've read the oil pumps can fail on these, could that be the issue?
Van was extensively serviced at V.W. complete brake overhaul, new pads ,disks, new timing belt/ water pump, they did 2k on it before sale, bit annoying I've now got this tapping ( occaisionaly)

I would investigate Injectors, they do the horrific noises, sometimes they sound like overhead knocking or tapping. Try one of the injectors cleaners products or fill the van with premium diesel one/two tanks. See how it goes

Hi chaps, posted before about top end tapping noise on cold start. Doesnt always do it and varies in severity..I've run a tank with injector cleaner with the posh diesel through it and its still doing it.
Its a vw approved vehicle with one years warranty.
102ps highline 2018 plate.
How do we know as second hand buyers of these euro 6 engines, that they havnt suffered from excessive wear previously due to excessive oil dilution???
I paid 26 grand for this and its startinh to worry me a bit, just want an idea of what to hit VW with when i say i want it looking at

Hi chaps, posted before about top end tapping noise on cold start. Doesnt always do it and varies in severity..I've run a tank with injector cleaner with the posh diesel through it and its still doing it.
Its a vw approved vehicle with one years warranty.
102ps highline 2018 plate.
How do we know as second hand buyers of these euro 6 engines, that they havnt suffered from excessive wear previously due to excessive oil dilution???
I paid 26 grand for this and its starting to worry me a bit, just want an idea of what to hit VW with when i say i want it looking at
I havent looked at your earlier posts but my initial thought is to ask what engine code yours is? I ask as mine is a 2015 Euro 5 140PS CAAC and I added some LiquiMoly CeraTec and that quietened it down significantly.

The tags above may help signpost you to similar threads, particularly this one:

I havent looked at your earlier posts but my initial thought is to ask what engine code yours is? I ask as mine is a 2015 Euro 5 140PS CAAC and I added some LiquiMoly CeraTec and that quietened it down significantly.

The tags above may help signpost you to similar threads, particularly this one:
Many thanks ill take a read, where do i find the engine code?

My 2014 140k mile BiTDI does the same. Years ago there was a thing about oil filters with anti return valve built in. I did look into my filter and it seems to have this valve fitted. Possibly one in ten starts it does this and the noise is gone in 15-30 seconds

My 2014 140k mile BiTDI does the same. Years ago there was a thing about oil filters with anti return valve built in. I did look into my filter and it seems to have this valve fitted. Possibly one in ten starts it does this and the noise is gone in 15-30 seconds
Mine has literally just been serviced by vw so i would presume if thats a way back that filter is no longer used? Mine does it every other ir every third startup, by the time you get to the end of the road its gone, but its verh noticable when it dies it, cant be right.

You don’t, safe to say that there will have been some dilution and as 2% is the safe limit who knows. Fuel dilution will probably kill the turbocharger and oil control rings before anything else.
If the top end had excessive wear it would be noisy all the time and probably more so when the oil is hot although synthetic oil viscosity should not vary much.

The first 4 digits of the engine number on page 2 of the V5 registration document.

Screenshot_20230920_115049_Gallery.jpg

20230920_115013.jpg

So after reading a couple of those threads soinds likr its a tappet, did think mi e does sound like that, question is, is it a problem? Can it be easily adjusted? Shoild i put an additive in?

So after reading a couple of those threads soinds likr its a tappet, did think mi e does sound like that, question is, is it a problem? Can it be easily adjusted? Shoild i put an additive in?
Hydraulic cam followers aren’t adjustable, I suspect it sounds far worse than it is.
If you are going to replace I would do it the next time the timing belt is off to avoid additional labour.

From the manual:

IMG_3041.jpeg

Hydraulic cam followers aren’t adjustable, I suspect it sounds far worse than it is.
If you are going to replace I would do it the next time the timing belt is off to avoid additional labour.

From the manual:

View attachment 214591
Well thats even more annoying as V.W did the timing belt and water pump before i bought it, as well as new disc and pads all round and a full service and 150 point check or whatever, its got a year warranty, could i argue it should be done under that? Well annoying as it didnt do it when i test drove it.

Well thats even more annoying as V.W did the timing belt and water pump before i bought it, as well as new disc and pads all round and a full service and 150 point check or whatever, its got a year warranty, could i argue it should be done under that? Well annoying as it didnt do it when i test drove it.
Thanks for that from the workshop manual, so it says increase revs to 2500 for 2 minutes and if if hasnt gone away, needs to be checked, but also says noise on startup is normal, so could be argued either way, ambiguity is not thd freind of a warranty claim

Mine too. I have a 2016 BiTdi with CFCA engine. Mine usually does at cold start-up and then sometimes gets quiet after 10 mins or so. Usually it's noisy all the time. I heard that it sounds worse than it is because there is no engine cover with sound-deadening. My wife has an Eos with a CBAB engine. It's got such a cover and if you run the engine without it, you can really hear the cam tapping.

I've decided to ignore it as I have heard loads of T6s with same noise no matter the engine type. Besides, I'm getting tired of spending money to repair/rectify this and that on a supposedly superior German built van...... I'll deal with it at the time if the cam ever needs changing.

Last edited:
Sound deaden the scuttle and front bulkhead, you’ll need the rev counter to check the engine is running.

Back