Who Uses Diesel Fuel Additives, My Mpg Decreased!

Fluff34567

Swiss member
T6 Guru
I saw a few comments on here about people using fuel additives and when doing the weekly shop I picked up a bottle.

Over 4 tanks it has increased my consumption!! My drive is mind numbingly boring it's the same route at the same time same speeds and same loads.

I didnt expect it to do anything at all but to increase fuel usage I really didn't expect.

My fuel sits at about 8.33l/100 plus minus 0.20 for the last 10 tanks. After adding the correct amount of additive it went up to 8.8 and sat at about 8.9 plus minus 0.10 for the following 4 tanks.

I didnt add any on my last tank and I'm back to 8.5/100

So you paid for a product to make your van thirstier? o_O
I'm guessing you won't be buying any more of that then.
I just use any branded diesel, mainly BP or Shell, no additives, I don't use supermarket fuel generally and I don't buy my groceries from a petrol station.
There are people who swear by additives such as Millers, and fair play if their experience using it is good, but I'd rather spend the money on regular oil changes.

Haha yep in the end it cost me more. I throw in any diesel where ever is cheaper but here dont have supermarket fuels, not in my area anyway. Its BP shell jet omv I refuel in germany.

What's left is going in the bin.

What additive did you use? Did you note the ambient temperature outside while doing the comparisons? Lower temperatures means higher fuel burn. Wind direction and speed can also play a part on a daily commute.

I put in half a bottle of Redex hoping for some MPG increases but didnt see any difference.

When I first got my van a full tank showed me the range of 800 miles on motorway runs.

Recently its been more like 600....

It's all been covered before...the standard stuff you buy in Halfrauds is unlikely to make any difference.

It’s about as much use as anti ageing cream. There’s a market for every potion!

Last edited:
I use Millers, probably snake oil, but I plan to keep my van for a long time so along with 5,000 mile oil and filter changes I'd like to see my van easily clocking up many 10000's of miles with no engine issues.

It’s all a money spinner I’m afraid, all I know is that the local garage
To me is a bit more expensive then Tesco etc but definitely get more
Mpg! I always thought diesel was diesel but obviously not!

Back