Whirring noise!? not sure what it is - help

Did you find the source of the noise? I have the exact same thing, had new alternator a few months ago but but cant rule out the new one...
Good to know if you found what it was

Did you find the source of the noise? I have the exact same thing, had new alternator a few months ago but but cant rule out the new one...
Good to know if you found what it was
So i went to 2 garages, one said they didn't know if it was an issue, the other isolated it to the auxiliary components. However he said it wasn't loud enough to determine which component it is. He said to drive it until it gets worse and there is no risk to damaging the engine. I have driven about 1.5k and the sounds has actually almost gone to my surprise. So at this point just gonna keep driving. I have been looking at multiple threads and so on and some say its the clutch in the alternator some say its the power steering. I don't think its the AC as turning it on and off makes no difference. The only thing i have noticed is that when i put the van into reverse and turn the steering completely the pump squeal and sound does gets louder. So i am at this point thinking it might be my pump. But i have heard it can also be the tensioners that make the noise. however at this point i am gonna just drive till it either goes completely or comes back with vengeance. Sorry i can not be more specific. Good luck with tracking down the noise!

Had the same problem noise ,sent into garage and had the power steering pump changed which cured the fault.

I have changed the pas fluid in the hope it made some improvemnt but no change.

I have run the engine without the aux pump and the noise disappeared.
My next plan is to try to run the engine with the aux belt but without the pas pump somehow, shorter belt maybe. Try to find the noise by running without the pas, alt, and aircon each in turn.

Had the same problem noise ,sent into garage and had the power steering pump changed which cured the fault.
ok good to know it solved your issue, taking into garage for another opinion this morning. let you know if they find out the culprit
I have changed the pas fluid in the hope it made some improvemnt but no change.

I have run the engine without the aux pump and the noise disappeared.
My next plan is to try to run the engine with the aux belt but without the pas pump somehow, shorter belt maybe. Try to find the noise by running without the pas, alt, and aircon each in turn.
Yeah its pretty tough to do apparently, the first garage said they have tried it in the past but the issue being the shorter belts. their advice , drive it until it gets bad then we can identify which it is easily, in my case its got better, not 100% but better than it was. good luck and let us all know what you manage to find

Bit of good news
I used a mechanics stethoscope and was able to isolate the noise to the idler pulley no12 in the picture. Ill swap that over and post my findings

Back