Which Skyline pop-top: original or Aurora?

I have the Aurora. Agree that it’s quite boxy.

My locking cams both leak. Waiting to see if that proves to be a problem. Tbh I’d still take leaky cams over straps.

And it creaks. It’s really winding me up, actually. I’ve only done some initial investigation and I’m not sure where the noise is coming from yet.

The canvas also seemed to leak the first few times in the rain. I’m hoping it’s just weathering.

And have they sorted out their shitty siding hatch cover latch?

You can tell I’m not fully convinced overall.
What’s the problem with the sliding hatch. I’ve going for that

I’ve read a few posts that say the locking cans leak. I thought that would be a good option. It seems not. It must be difficult to seal them properly?

The hatch is essential. Can’t have all the canvas hanging out.

But the latch they fit is poor (or used to fit?). It’s sharp and dangerous. Last time I spoke to them they were working on a magnetic version. Hopefully that’s now standard.

The cams don’t gush water… in heavier rain there have been a few drops. I wonder a bit if I’ll get corrosion in the roof.

Do they leak when the roof is up and it’s raining, or when the roof is down as well?

Can you pop a couple of bungs in the holes while the roof is up.

Do they leak when the roof is up and it’s raining, or when the roof is down as well?

Can you pop a couple of bungs in the holes while the roof is up.
Only when the roof is up.

I could use a bung, but I don’t think keeping the water in the gap is the best idea.

Ahh yes of course, I was thinking there would be a hole on the roof but of course that's the latch mechanism.

The hatch is essential. Can’t have all the canvas hanging out.

But the latch they fit is poor (or used to fit?). It’s sharp and dangerous. Last time I spoke to them they were working on a magnetic version. Hopefully that’s now standard.

The cams don’t gush water… in heavier rain there have been a few drops. I wonder a bit if I’ll get corrosion in the roof.

No metal protection in this example from Skyline themselves - Fitting Aurora Locking CAM :eek::eek::eek:

Interesting about the magnetic version, mentioned this to them last year and was told it wouldn’t work as the latch / catch takes some of the load

Interesting about the magnetic version, mentioned this to them last year and was told it wouldn’t work as the latch / catch takes some of the load
In August, they showed me at their Bristol shop the strong magnets they had sourced.

I bought one of these. Does the job. Better than the one provided by Skyline.

28F5246F-B8AB-475E-A383-1C18D3545AEA.jpeg

27512D6B-BA6D-4F32-B90C-87BE8D13292D.jpeg

The leak will be where the shaft passes through the housing or the square boss through the flange. Shaft just needs an o ring I would suggest, if it’s the square boss then a bit of sealant would suffice.

Had my aurora fitted back end of September, no latches at all on my sliding hatch, just hangs in place, slightly lower than the roof lining. 20211211_094555.jpg
Also just started to get a bit of a creaking noise this week, i just put it down to the cold weather, but maybe not.

Standard roof in the end with burgundy scenic canvas, think standard looks better after seeing an Aurora in the flesh........Its ready to collect now but I cannot get up till tomorrow :(

I’ve ended up going colourcoded standard roof with black canvas. I was going to go orange canvas but decided if I ever remove the orange from the van I’ll still have the canvas. I’ll probably wish I had gone orange but it’s to late now.

ED949ACE-7712-404F-866F-C5F68D81EA47.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
Back