Which oil?

Thanks, did this and it came back as 5w30, so I’m taking the oil back to the vw dealership to change it for 5w30, I will need 2 anyway as it takes 7.4 litres

Castrol edge...

Saw it in Costco last night for 34inc vat for 4L

Castrol edge professional.....got mine on offer at Halfords. Deffo 507 spec. Change mine annually irrespective of mileage.....which happens to be about 8 or 9k.

Reactions: DXX
Amazon are doing 4L of Castrol Edge for £25.99

It is explicitly rated as VW 507

Pete

If you don't like the history associated with Castrol oils, Shell Helix Ultra ECT (being branded as HX8 ECT now) is what I use. The fact that the Shell agent Smith and Allan is on my doorstep helps too. This is a link if it's of interest to anyone.

If you really can't afford circa £6 a litre for oil, you can also buy this from them which is ACEA C3 2016 (i.e. the specification of oil that most VW 507 approvals are given to). If you put your van in for a service in the Darlington area, there is a very good chance this is what the garage would use. It's good stuff, blended from Shell base oils.

4FB1B3A4-84C2-4905-BFF8-5DED472C32CE.jpeg Got the job done, used the Quantum 5w30, filter too, 7.4 litres glad I did it cos now I know the engine oil is good, I’m pretty sure the garage never serviced the van before they delivered it to me, but the van is fine and it’s done now, an old mechanic I knew once told me, “ Good engine oil is your best mechanic” this has always stuck with me

Maybe try your local TPS for this...
10 litres of Quantum long life III (2 x 5 litres as above post).
VW oil filter.
10 litres of Quantum adblue.
Came to £51.13.

So basically any fully synthetic 5w30 for the temperature range in the UK?

I think 507 is the magic number for VW long life @Toad

20190402_112607.jpg

Not all 5w 30 quote this spec. For example this stuff. Lots of Ford specifications but no VW.

20190402_112306.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe try your local TPS for this...
10 litres of Quantum long life III (2 x 5 litres as above post).
VW oil filter.
10 litres of Quantum adblue.
Came to £51.13.

Yep, pretty good value oil.

My local TPS is quite some miles away so bought it from Ebay; 10 litres of the same oil for £45.89 to my door.
Then bought an oil filter from the forum shop. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
"If you don't like the history associated with Castrol oils"
what history? I ask, because I just don't know the controversy
I guess if most of us were preoccupied with history, we wouldn't buy VW.
What matters is here and now: an awful company can redeem itself (hard but happens), and a good one can turn bad (quite common)

opie oils have a good selection and I note that most meet VW 50400 and 50700, they are also doing £10 off orders over £50 with the code 10OFF at the moment.

I've not bought car or van oils from them before but have regularly bought bike oils with no issues (I'm just a customer and have no connection)

Its not van specific its just the standard the oil is produced too.
Just for info i think you will find 5l is not enough these take a bit more than that, not personally done an oil change on mine but i think if you are doing filter as well it will take somewhere between 6-7 litres
HI PAULY SORRY TO ASK AGAIN . LOOKING DOWN THESE POST ON OIL I RANG VW COUPLE WEEKS AGO ASKED THEM ABOUT WICH OIL I SHOULD PUT IN MY T6 SHE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT 0/30 LOW ASH BUT I CANT SEEM TO FIND ANY INFO ON IT .EVERY WERE I LOOK TPS ETC SEEMS TO BE COMEING UP AS 5/30 LONG LIFE I DO HAVE SOME TUBS LEFT OF CASTROL 5/30 I USE TO USE IN MY T5.1 BUT I DONT THINK ITS BEST TO USE THEM IN IT IV STILL GOT 12 MONTHS WARRENTY LEFT ON IT .THANKS AGAIN AND SORRY TO ASK AGAIN. STEVE

SWMBO’s Skoda Octavia 1.5tsi is specced as 0w/30 and the dealer used 5w/30 longlife - I queried this with Skoda UK and was told it was fine.

Just done an interim oil change on the van using Quantum Longlife in a cube box (think wine box for the fridge!)

What a complete faff. Its a fight to get the spout out, then because of the shape you waste a load pouring it, then no nice container to take the old oil to the tip. I did end up putting the old oil in the ‘bag’ but the cap is too small for the spout on my oil pan! Arrrgghhhhh!!!!

I’ll get another recognised brand next time that comes in a proper bottle!

I was that annoyed I decanted the remaining new oil into my now empty quantum plastic bottle!

and breath.

Ian

Back