Service Fluids and Additives

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Gents.......and ladies.

Just wondered if anyone has any strong views on engine flushes? I change my oil annually.......approx 8000 miles. It's a bit late now after 7 years of ownership but I've been thinking of increasing the frequency and making it every 6000 miles between oil changes. I don't do short journeys and I always use V Power and Castrol Edge fully synthetic by the way. I've read about oil dilution and catch cans etc so I've just been thinking about things........especially since I had my manifold replaced (twice!). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave:thumbsup:

I'd always stay away from flushes. You can never guarantee you will get it all out and that can degrade the oil. The oil has all the additives it needs if you are buying good stuff.

I'd also just do every 12 months or manufacture spec changes rather than 6k due to those same additives. Millers say extra changes can increase contaminates from engine into oil due to detergents in the oil.

Speaking of which run a millers oil sample then you know for sure what you need to do.

Always done 6k miles oil and filter change. I don’t like the idea of diesel in the sump.

I’m surprised how quickly the oil goes black on a diesel after a change (Vs a petrol engine). I wouldnt use a flush but have pondered putting cheap new oil in for a few days before the good stuff (and filter swap with the good oil) to clear as much of the ‘soot’ in the engine by suspending it in the cheap oil.

So far just done annually with quality / OEM spec filters and oil.

I'd always stay away from flushes. You can never guarantee you will get it all out and that can degrade the oil. The oil has all the additives it needs if you are buying good stuff.

I'd also just do every 12 months or manufacture spec changes rather than 6k due to those same additives. Millers say extra changes can increase contaminates from engine into oil due to detergents in the oil.

Speaking of which run a millers oil sample then you know for sure what you need to do.
Oooof.........I'm surprised at you saying manufacturers spec mate. My service intervals are every two years.........no way would I do that! I've never heard that about about the extra changes introducing more contaminants. Seriously, I've always thought that if you don't mind spending the money......change the oil as often as you like. Appreciate your input though. :thumbsup:
Always done 6k miles oil and filter change. I don’t like the idea of diesel in the sump.
No, I don't either mate.......mine seems to regen a lot, even though I never do short journeys and use V power together with Millers and annual (approx 8k miles) oil changes. I know one thing.......I'm glad I bought mine brand new because these engines don't appear to be that robust tbh. At least I know mine has never been neglected or run on supermarket diesel. Many thanks! :thumbsup:
I’m surprised how quickly the oil goes black on a diesel after a change (Vs a petrol engine). I wouldnt use a flush but have pondered putting cheap new oil in for a few days before the good stuff (and filter swap with the good oil) to clear as much of the ‘soot’ in the engine by suspending it in the cheap oil.

So far just done annually with quality / OEM spec filters and oil.
I saw a youtube video who did 5 oil changes on a diesel before it actually looked like it had had one. Last time I had mine done at the dealers, I checked it when I got home and I actually wondered.........have they fleeced me? Then I thought.......don't be such a bloody cynic Dave.......of course they've done it!! This really is one of those topics that divides opinion.
Cheers bruv!:thumbsup:

As an aside.........my old remapped (Factory 102 bhp) T5 that now has way in excess of 150000 miles on it, is still on the road and hasn't had any major surgery other than a new clutch. Not sure what my T6 will be like at 150000 miles!!

Oooof.........I'm surprised at you saying manufacturers spec mate. My service intervals are every two years.........no way would I do that! I've never heard that about about the extra changes introducing more contaminants. Seriously, I've always thought that if you don't mind spending the money......change the oil as often as you like. Appreciate your input though. :thumbsup:
I wouldn't do 2 years either and think 12 months (8k miles) feels right for me. Reading the forums doesn't give me mechanical peace of mind with VW. My leased ford work van gets the minimum amount of service work the lease company can get away with. With oil changes at 24k miles (18 months) and runs sweet as a nut.

The article I read wasn't Millers in the end, it was actually this :
Used Oil Analysis: How to decide what is normal - Bob is the Oil Guy

It is a bit of a wall of text but I found it really interesting. Here is a quote to perk your interest :

"So, if your fluid health is good, and your wear metals are on track, there is no reason to OCI until something changes in a statistically significant manner."

In short get the oil analysis done and they will tell you exactly what to do.

I wouldn't do 2 years either and think 12 months (8k miles) feels right for me. Reading the forums doesn't give me mechanical peace of mind with VW. My leased ford work van gets the minimum amount of service work the lease company can get away with. With oil changes at 24k miles (18 months) and runs sweet as a nut.

The article I read wasn't Millers in the end, it was actually this :
Used Oil Analysis: How to decide what is normal - Bob is the Oil Guy

It is a bit of a wall of text but I found it really interesting. Here is a quote to perk your interest :

"So, if your fluid health is good, and your wear metals are on track, there is no reason to OCI until something changes in a statistically significant manner."

In short get the oil analysis done and they will tell you exactly what to do.
I'll take a look at that mate......cheers! :thumbsup:

I’ve had several vehicles since VW group introduced variable service intervals (mainly to please the fleet managers!) and I’ve always had them done annually. Having serviced cars since I was a boy (trained by my dad) 20k miles on one lot of oil just seems wrong. Its one of the few things you can do that affects mechanical longevity (in most cases!)

As a side consequence of variable, wear components like brakes get recommended for change early as they have to last 2 years rather than 1.

I forgot I had a CNG golf. Cheapest car I have ever run! One big job under warranty. After year 1 and 50k miles the manual box was gone. Quite common on 1.6 golf at the time. I didn’t care much about maintaining the car, company car, not my company and lots of miles every day…I was told to change oil when the oil become black. However Running CNG the oil never gets black. Even after 50k miles was still like new. Engine was quite thirsty for oil, 1.5Lt every 10k miles. 3 Years later and 180k miles That car never had a proper oil and filter change . Jut top up. Original clutch, original disks! Just a set of pads. And full tank of Natural Gas was 6 quid, good for 200 miles.

Back