Which Leisure Battery?

Albielab

Hi, I'm new to forum, but having read some discussions on split charging, have decided to fit a Ring RSCDC30 to my T6 BMT. What I'm trying to find out is what battery size and ah to purchase to fit under drivers seat. I'm only supplying lights fridge tap/pump with 12v socket just in case. I was also going to use a PMS Control Unit too. Any thoughts I'd be grateful. Cheers

Installing an Ablemail EL 12-12-30 DC DC charger. Still not selected a control panel but a CBE unit is a consideration at the moment.

Hi all,
Looking for my first leisure battery to incorporate under the drivers seat on my camper van conversion.

I have a 150 Watt solar panel fitted to the roof and will be off grid for two to three days at a time, looking at buying a 12v 130AH AGM or GEL battery and getting totally confused by the choices available.

I need to power a fridge, phones, lighting and a TV with a budget of around £160 for a battery, any help please?
The battery will need to be installed under the seat on its side and is venting going to be a safety issue for either of these battery types?

I have Euro 6 T6 SWB and will need a DC battery to battery charger, any thoughts on this too please?

Also what amp cable will i need to go from the engine battery to the leisure battery under the drivers seat and then to a fuse box at the rear of the van?

Regarding the PW controller for the panel again what amp cable would be recommended when fitting at the rear and running back to the leisure battery under the drivers seat?

Any help would be gratefully received for a complete novice!

Hi @UNiCAD. I have a similar set up to what your after. AGM battery under the drivers seat, on it's side. Ablemail 121230 DC DC charger that has an input from both solar panel and the vehicle battery. Would recommend Martyn at @travelvolts. I sourced all my components from him, including the wiring kit to do the install. Everything you need and instructions are included. Worth having a read of his tips on his website or give him a call. He's very helpful.

As far as I'm aware there is no issue venting with AGM.

Last edited:
I second that, @travelvolts provides kits to achieve what you need and everything is compatible with a T6 Bluemotion with regenerative braking.

Defiantly talk to Martyn @travelvolts before you decide.

Hes Mint ! Great prices very knowledgable and helpful.
Buy all you need from him

Don’t forget, if you have your solar panel on a poptop, you need to park facing the right direction. Front poptop, park up facing north:thumbsup:

Hi what is the best rout through the bulk head to the main battery to wire up for the leisure battery.

I am about to install a Leisure battery along with CTEK D250SE and will have a 150w / VOC 21.24v / lsc 9.17A / VMP 18v / IMP 8.33A solar power panel. My question concerns which battery is a ‘Best buy’ for mounting under the drivers seat in a longitudinal axis (due to diesel heater ducting). My instinct says an AGM Battery of 110 amps as Litho is a bit beyond desirable budget and a brand such as Yuasa or Bosch based upon reputable branding. Can I ask those who have made this same journey already what they would purchase given the benefit of hindsight? I am not intent on installing a CTEK Smartpass because I don’t think the setup that I propose needs it - unless anyone knows different. Photo taken from the front of the drivers seat looking back. 2F7965FC-653D-4427-8F3F-B92DE6DE9174.jpeg

I'm on my second one of these. The first one died over lockdown, probably as I'd never charged it properly. Fits under the seat the right way up. Decent warranty.

Thanks. Do you have the battery sat upon any support other than the vehicle floor? I.e. a battery tray the only example of which I have seen is geared up for a transverse fitting which I cannot do because of the heater. I am wondering on whether I should use plywood beneath the battery and as a fence between heater duct and battery.

I've got a basic metal battery strap, but if lengthways, it'll not have much room to move anywhere - check it fits. If you boxed the duct in ply, you could fix the CTEK to the 'lid'. If towards the rear, it would then be accessible when the seat was slid forward. Again, need to check height etc.

What’s the best leisure battery to put under the drivers seat on my T6 and is it safe to position them on there side?

Back