Which Leisure Battery?

@BoroBoy

if you want to upgrade to Victron . . . . . .

The get the same battery . . .

get a 100ah Lithium battery to swap out your AGM one, like this - https://amzn.to/3oaKvrg

1638379818218.png

+++

Then get the Vic` Orion DC-DC charger (30A) - Victron Orion Smart 30A 12V DC to DC charger with Bluetooth connectivity: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

1638380372267.png

+++

add a solar MPPT to the mix, ie a 75/15 - https://amzn.to/31dYLXj

1638380462341.png

++++

add a smart shunt if you wish . . . - https://amzn.to/3lsGo8q

1638380555454.png

++++

The Monitoring APP is Free - VictronConnect App - Victron Energy

++++

Then add an inverter . . . 1200w - Victron Energy Phoenix Inverter 12/1200 230V VE.Direct UK - PIN122120400 : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

1638380636806.png

++++

FYI, i have all the above kit, Victron and Renogy and can vouch for it all.

I'm fitting a diesel heater on the underside of my Shuttle (2017). I've bought a plate for a Bosch E4 002, battery to use as a leisure battery to run the heater, a couple of USB sockets and for possible future fittings, maybe lights etc. I'm making a 'camper-lite'. It is not a full camper conversion.

I've seen the Bosch which fits my needs, but also Halfords sell specific leisure batteries, graded, A, B & C.

The Bosch sells its self as great starter battery, and I wondered if I'm buying the wrong battery for my needs. Halfords have a similar battery sold under the Leisure title, fits the tray (not important) and has a similar Ah output. Similarly prices to the Bosch.

Am I overthinking things, do either battery work just as well?

I'm not interested in a Li Ion as they are 6-10 times the price, and I want a simple charging install.

Thanks,

Generally starter batteries & leisure batteries are different beasts to do different jobs. A starter battery is designed to deliver very high current for short periods of time. A leisure battery is designed to deliver low current over long periods. A starter battery is intolerant to being deeply discharged & will die rapidly if you do so. A leisure battery is more tolerant to deep discharge & will recover better, that said, lead acid batteries of any flavour will soon die if abused.
Plenty of additional info if you search the forum, it’s a common subject & there are some in depth “How to” threads by Dellmassive.

Thanks for your advise, especially to Dellmassive for your extensive advice pages. It's Bally extensive and will take me a while to get through. I have a Votronic, and have read your post. I assume it won't be the final solution but have been looking at secondary ways of charging, like the Blue Smart charger. My van lives at home most of the time and I stay in it when sea kayaking on the west coast of Scotland so I generally only stay the night before, and the night we return.

Last edited:
What's the best way to secure / strap down the leisure battery when positioned under the driver's seat (that has a swivel)?
I see other posts/pics (@travelvolts ) where the batteries are strapped down, but I'm not sure though what to strap it to as can't see anything obvious?

I have an AGM battery, H190mm x W175mm.
I did buy one of those base plates for securing it, but that only caters for an upright battery as far as I can tell.

Thanks for any pointers.

Have a 2013 multivan with the factory fitted leisure battery which has just cooked itself. I was hoping to replace with an AGM battery but does it matter if the starter battery is not the same technology? No DC to DC charger installed.
I have no real need for it as not camper and if was easy enough would get rid of it.
Thanks for any advice.

Post some pics of what you have.

I'm assuming you have a split charge relay to charge the LB from the engine?

Yes you could fit an AGM battery, but ideally you would want to have both batterys (starter & LB) the same chemistry. Due to AGM battery having a higher rest voltage that standard lead..... But It would work provided the engine was running when the relay kicked in. (VSR relay)..... If you have an Ignition fed relay you Will find that the LB will back feed into the starter battery, untill the engine starts running.

****""

Yes you can remove the LB.

You need to identify the main split charge feed from the starter battery and disconect it.

Then remove the its fuse.

Then remove the LB itself.

Then lable and tape up all the unused cables to the are safe and tidy.

Pics will help.

What's the best make of battery that is charging the leisure battery to get for t6 kombi please and thank you, or any advice would be great thanks

Starter battery or leisure battery?

I don’t know the make as they’re boxed but the auto electrician that fitted mine used 2 110 AH GEL batteries for my leisure usage.

John.

See here about starter battery.

For leisure battery.

Imho.

a lifepo4 is best.

Eg.....

Back