Where to begin? Complete novice...all advice and suggestions welcome

Hello everyone,

Apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge...after many years of admiring my husband and I have finally decided to jump in and buy a T6. We are hunting at the moment, as I have wanted one for so long my list of must-haves is quite long.

The plan at the moment is to sell my car (standard SUV) and buy Kombi to use as our family car, we are 2 adults, toddler and 2 spaniels.

I am not going to be able to afford to buy and do lots of fancy conversions straight away. What I have in my mind is to buy the van and use pretty much as is over the winter and do minor adjustments so we can use it as sleeper next spring/summer. Gradually developing it, so initial changes would have to have the end result in mind.

What I'd like buy (I think!!)-

T6 Kombi 2.0L Diesel, at least 150ps
67 plate or newer
Reasonable milage
Isofix
Ideally Blackberry or Starlight Blue
Captain seats
LED lights (read this on another newbie thread as a must?)

So questions.... any opinions, suggestions, links to sites/threads, or photos greatly appreciated

1. Am I missing anything off my must-haves?
  2. Should I omit anything?
  3. Manual or auto (I have only ever driven a manual)?
  4. Where to buy?
  5. Anything to avoid/warnings?
  6. Are there any events still running that we can look at vans?
  7. Inspiration for vans that are used as family cars Mon-Fri and campers at the weekend?
  8. Is there such thing as seats that move from normal position to back of van to use as bed?
  9. Inspiration for vans with toddlers or dogs in mind?
  10. Anything else I have missed :D
Thanks again, really looking forward to being pointed in the right direction!

Last edited:
I don't know...I have only ever driven a manual so my first thought is to stick with what I know. Husbands think auto may be a nicer drive in a van?
Why not hire a suitable vehicle ....we could all tell you what we like...nothing Better than a good test drive might save a lot of heart ache later......umm wish I had that ! :)

My 2 pence - Have a look on used-volkswagen vans for a Shuttle. Best prices i've seen in my search, although look to be going up a little now. Most other places think they are lined with gold.
Whip the 3rd row of seats out and you have a Kombi with rear quarter glass for a fraction of the price of a Kombi. And you get H7 headlights as standard which are not as good as the LEDs, but way better than the H4's that come as standard on a Kombi.
As for EGR, have a search to see when rev D unit was installed, or learn how to look for it on the vehicle. From what I have read, you don't want a rev C one, but I believed they can be changed for about £500 so not a big drama.
I got the basics I wanted which included single seats up front, like rocking horse poo in a LWB but seem to be std in SWB. The rest (parking sensors, MFSW, folding mirrors, rear camera, head unit, soft close, etc) can all be added later depending on what your needs are.

As @huw169 said ’As for EGR, have a search to see when rev D unit was installed, or learn how to look for it on the vehicle. From what I have read, you don't want a rev C one, but I believed they can be changed for about £500 so not a big drama‘

I would not touch a Euro 5 van with a Rev C or less EGR cooler, the damage to the cylinders may already be done. Rev D EGR cooler is what you should be looking for on a Euro 5 engine and make sure it was manufactured with it and it’s not a retrofit.

Have a look at that one, it was on Ebay until last week, I was tempted to buy it and had an offer of £23500 accepted with no vat....(& 2 swivel captain seats!!!), but found a different one at last minute that was a better fit for me

I will be watching this post with interest as I am looking at my first van, with the below spec

T6
T32
SWB
DSG
Kombi
Tailgate
Led lights
Comfort dash
Cruise
150HP as I have been told this is a detuned block so can get it chipped.

Nice to have;

20" alloys
Soft close side doors and tailgate

So hard to find the right van at the right price.

Hello everyone,

Apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge...after many years of admiring my husband and I have finally decided to jump in and buy a T6. We are hunting at the moment, as I have wanted one for so long my list of must-haves is quite long.

The plan at the moment is to sell my car (standard SUV) and buy Kombi to use as our family car, we are 2 adults, toddler and 2 spaniels.

I am not going to be able to afford to buy and do lots of fancy conversions straight away. What I have in my mind is to buy the van and use pretty much as is over the winter and do minor adjustments so we can use it as sleeper next spring/summer. Gradually developing it, so initial changes would have to have the end result in mind.

What I'd like buy (I think!!)-

T6 Kombi 2.0L Diesel, at least 150ps
67 plate or newer
Reasonable milage
Isofix
Ideally Blackberry or Starlight Blue
Captain seats
LED lights (read this on another newbie thread as a must?)

So questions.... any opinions, suggestions, links to sites/threads, or photos greatly appreciated

1. Am I missing anything off my must-haves?
  2. Should I omit anything?
  3. Manual or auto (I have only ever driven a manual)?
  4. Where to buy?
  5. Anything to avoid/warnings?
  6. Are there any events still running that we can look at vans?
  7. Inspiration for vans that are used as family cars Mon-Fri and campers at the weekend?
  8. Is there such thing as seats that move from normal position to back of van to use as bed?
  9. Inspiration for vans with toddlers or dogs in mind?
  10. Anything else I have missed :D
Thanks again, really looking forward to being pointed in the right direction!

We did the same as previous post, purchased shuttle removed rear row seats ..... ideal for days out with Dogs / Bikes and if needed return seats to give capacity for 9 if needed, only downside in my list of wants ...... carpet flooring wanted plastic throughout and single passenger seat other than that spot on.
LWB ... 65 plate ... 204ps... Sat Nav ... low miles .... LED lights .... Twin Elec side doors ...... so looking forward to getting about in it, been on / off for weeks, months talking about it, then we decided if don't go for this one likely hood is be looing this time net year, .................... Life to short

We did the same as previous post, purchased shuttle removed rear row seats ..... ideal for days out with Dogs / Bikes and if needed return seats to give capacity for 9 if needed, only downside in my list of wants ...... carpet flooring wanted plastic throughout and single passenger seat other than that spot on.
LWB ... 65 plate ... 204ps... Sat Nav ... low miles .... LED lights .... Twin Elec side doors ...... so looking forward to getting about in it, been on / off for weeks, months talking about it, then we decided if don't go for this one likely hood is be looing this time net year, .................... Life to short
Welcome Terry10. Snap! We got the same for just the same and haven't regretted it. Accordingly, very few permanent mods needed for what we want to do. Looking forward to following your story. :somersault:

Welcome Terry10. Snap! We got the same for just the same and haven't regretted it. Accordingly, very few permanent mods needed for what we want to do. Looking forward to following your story. :somersault:
Hi mate, it fits the brief for our plans, not going away for a week, might do the odd night in it.
Looking forward to getting out and about only had for 3 days but couldn’t be happier

I will be watching this post with interest as I am looking at my first van, with the below spec

T6
T32
SWB
DSG
Kombi
Tailgate
Led lights
Comfort dash
Cruise
150HP as I have been told this is a detuned block so can get it chipped.

Nice to have;

20" alloys
Soft close side doors and tailgate

So hard to find the right van at the right price.

Back