Wheels/Tyres, last time ... that's a promise!

Clubhouse

Morning all, sorry to go over old ground (again) but time has marched on since my first post and thankfully after a few disappointments my converter has finally secured me an Indium Grey T28 T6.1 DSG 20 plate (the one with the sport box - ), which is being picked up in the next couple of days. The rush is now on for me to get some wheels and tyres and having had my heart set on MOMO Revenge Evos for as long as I can remember my head has been unexpectedly turned by the Leighton Vans gunmetal LV-2's, which are on promo atm.
Screenshot_20210731-024321_Chrome.jpg
I asked a while back about tyres for the MOMOs and I got some great advice from Oli @BognorMotors and Chris @The Van Cave, and this may still be where I'm heading if the LVs don't work out, but my question today relates to a staggered set up and whether Vred Quatrac 245 45 R20s on 8.5J ET45 fronts and 275 40 R20s on 10J ET38 rears is a happy combination? On paper it works for my planned 40mm drop and I've had these tyres on a Merc GLC before but any comments, as always, would be appreciated. For what it's worth I realise that they are of a significantly higher load rating than I need but that's not a bad thing ... is it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?

(I'm genuinely sorry to bring up tyres and wheels again but when searching for staggered set ups on the forum the returned threads, like the subject, are a minefield that seems to evolve. Happy to have the post bumped if necessary.)

Just my two penneth…. those tyres will work together (rolling radius and diameter), but would the 265/40 all round be a better option. I know there’s not a lot in it, but the 275/40 is oversize for these vans as far as your gearing and speedo??

I’ll leave it to the experts now…. Chris @The Van Cave and Oli @BognorMotors :thumbsup:

I would recommend a 255/40-20 and 265/40-20, if you want to go a staggered setup. The sizes you have suggested are up to 4% oversize, over the correct 275/35-20, As approved by VW - Although the 275 is too wide for a 8.5. You could run the 275-35 on the rear, but the 265/40 is a better match for the front

We run the 265/40 all round on a T32, which is a very happy setup as you are restricted in a correctly weight rated size for the T32 so you can always go this all round on your T28, if you want to run a tyre the same size all round.

HTH

Thanks guys. I've looked at the 265 40 tyre set up before but there's not as much choice in the midrange. I obviously want to get the right set up but I'm also considering the ongoing maintenance costs.

I know that Oli has run AS-1's and these may be an option. @LeightonVans seem to fit 275 40s all round on their tyre/wheel package with just two brand options and I contacted them earlier in the week (twice - Ryan) to question this but I've not had a reply.

Vredestein also do a 265 40 Ultrac Vorti for a reasonably decent price so these are also an option and not too pricey.

I'm getting a headache looking at wheels and tyres so maybe the MOMOs with 255 40s all round, as suggested previously by @The Van Cave would be my better option after all ...

Back