Wheel Rub !!

I don't actually know to be honest - they were on the van from new. The original tyres were 275's, but 35's not 40's so it's the extra sidewall height that has made the difference.
Maybe worth wipping one off and having a look, mine are 8.5” x 20 on the front and am running 245 x45, I think as @BognorMotors mentioned, 265 would be the best option, that’s if your running a rim of 9” or wider.
Also is it a T32?, if so, load rating needs to be above 103.

Maybe worth wipping one off and having a look, mine are 8.5” x 20 on the front and am running 245 x45, I think as @BognorMotors mentioned, 265 would be the best option, that’s if your running a rim of 9” or wider.
Also is it a T32?, if so, load rating needs to be above 103.
I'll have a look when I fit the spacers. They are 108Y I think, but yes T32.

Update.......
The 5mm spacers worked but only partially, I thought I'd solved it but on a severe 3-point turn type lock I heard the rub.
I think I have at least 4 options:
1. Leave it as it is and put up with an occasional rub
2. Fit 10mm spacers (or bigger) and fit arch extensions / protectors, but I can't find the info on the extra body width gained by fitting them
3. Fit x4 new tyres (again)
4. Fit x2 265x40 on the front only and leave the 275x40's on the back - is that ok? It would mean I already have replacement tyres for the rears when they need changing and just need to pay for 2 new tyres

I'm not entertaining a 5th option - go back to 275x35's - and I don't have or necessarily want to get and use a heat gun.

There might be other options I'm sure.

Cheers, Matt. (Help!!)

Update.......
The 5mm spacers worked but only partially, I thought I'd solved it but on a severe 3-point turn type lock I heard the rub.
2. Fit 10mm spacers (or bigger) and fit arch extensions / protectors, but I can't find the info on the extra body width gained by fitting them
4. Fit x2 265x40 on the front only and leave the 275x40's on the back - is that ok? It would mean I already have replacement tyres for the rears when they need changing and just need to pay for 2 new tyres

I'm not entertaining a 5th option - go back to 275x35's - and I don't have or necessarily want to get and use a heat gun.

Cheers, Matt. (Help!!)
What make of tyre are you using ?
I had khumo on mine and they rubbed.
I was at van convertors and he had s set of khumos and he had removed them because they rubbed ,He changed them for the same size different make and no problem .

The originals were Kumho 275 / 35 and were like concrete, these are Avon 275 /40. A friend of mine had 275 / 40 on his Caravelle and had no problems. He bought his van from the same source as me and also had to change his rock like 35's too. I guess it's very fine margins, but very disheartening.

What make of tyre are you using ?
I had khumo on mine and they rubbed.
I was at van convertors and he had s set of khumos and he had removed them because they rubbed ,He changed them for the same size different make and no problem .
Which sizes?

Hi
I have the same tyres as you 275/40/20
Had them on 3 years now
(On second set now )
I had an issue like yours with the drivers side rubbing the inner wheel arch, only on full lock
It has left the inner arch scuffed
I heard about the heat gun trick after I had the scuffing
I would have done that
Too late now
Also after a few thousand miles
The rubbing stopped as the tyre got slightly smaller
Also had first mot recently and no probs
I have -40 h and r springs fitted
I wouldn’t go a lower profile myself
As this size gives you extra protection near curbs from scuffing
and as mentioned earlier in thread a smoother ride

Hi
Hi
I have the same tyres as you 275/40/20
Had them on 3 years now
(On second set now )
I had an issue like yours with the drivers side rubbing the inner wheel arch, only on full lock
It has left the inner arch scuffed
I heard about the heat gun trick after I had the scuffing
I would have done that
Too late now
Also after a few thousand miles
The rubbing stopped as the tyre got slightly smaller
Also had first mot recently and no probs
I have -40 h and r springs fitted
I wouldn’t go a lower profile myself
As this size gives you extra protection near curbs from scuffing
and as mentioned earlier in thread a smoother ride

Hi. I've just bought a T6 and choosing the right wheels and tyres is blowing my mind. Thinking of getiing some 8.5 fronts and 10.0 rears with 40mm H&R springs. I like the idea of 40 profile tyres for some comfort/pothole protection too. What width and offset for are your wheels? Cheers .

It makes enough of a difference for me. Mine is lowered and the 35 profiles told me about every bump and ripple in the road, let alone the potholes. The 35’s were Kumho’s probably pressured above 50 assuming I would carry weight to capacity. Mine is a Kombi used as a daily driver and “lifestyle” vehicle I think they are labelled. The new 40’s are Avon rubber and are quieter and pressured for now at 42 all round as I don’t currently carry a bean really. There is now enough give in the sidewalls to soak up the ripples. It hasn’t changed the van into a Bentley or an old Citroen, but it’s definitely better. Cheers.
Careful - bought a T6 with 9000 miles and owner had done just that no load carried, lower pressure. I had puncture 12000 miles - tyre was delaminated [could put hand through between outer tread and inner] and checked all other ditto were told common fault running these tyres on lower pressure versus wearing centre out if effectively over inflated to no load

Update.......

Cheers, Matt. (Help!!)

i am thinking of doing 4

Back