Wheel carrier & back-box on bike rack?

I just looked at Bynxys avatar and saw he was from Liverpool, no offence intended to scousers but auto crime isn’t exactly low level.
The odds aren’t good.

View attachment 178156
No offence taken and I get where you are coming from I have spent a lot of money on our van as have a lot of people and do worry but, at the end of the day it doesn't mater where you live if a scumbag wants to liberate your stuff they will, either on a carpark at the beach in Cornwall or in a city centre.

Interesting image though considering the stats are calculated per number of cars for a given area for example 10000 cars spread out across a highly populated region such as Merseyside, London, Greater Manchester or Birmingham compared to 10000 cars spread across Cumbria or Cornwall for example the more crowded the area would always be worse

Where as if I lived in a rural area theft of agricultural vehicles is much higher than in a city so all the greens would be red and reds would be green, so stats can be portrayed what ever way you want spin them.

No mater what the crime it stands to reason the more densely populated the area the more there will be!

if you put the rack on the back you need to upgrade the

Hi Chris if you put a bike rack on the back you will need upgrade the gas struts as it won't stay up on the factory fit struts, if you plan to put the wheel and the case on then you need to use even stronger gas struts there are a few different types I got these (link) and they hold the wheel and the case up depending what I put in the case but I usually take the case down if I need to get in the back of the van as I more than likely need what's in the case anyway

there are a few different option and even strengthening brackets for the struts as the points where the gas struts connect could become week if they are used regally I haven't bothered as I am quite cerfull how I open the back and don't let it just pop up and don't use my van tailgate that much

These are the strengthening brackets link

The dealer (unofficial VW) is telling me my T6.1 has the strongest of 3 strut options offered and doesn't need to be upgraded. Tailgate will stay open with 4 bicycle on the back and supports upto additional 50kg.

The link you sent said for T5 only, not T6. Maybe they've been upgraded?

I d
Have no idea - thoughts?

The dealer (unofficial VW) is telling me my T6.1 has the strongest of 3 strut options offered and doesn't need to be upgraded. Tailgate will stay open with 4 bicycle on the back and supports upto additional 50kg.

The link you sent said for T5 only, not T6. Maybe they've been upgraded?

I d
Have no idea - thoughts?
It’s all to do with the Nm of force they have you are correct the link I sent was for T5 should have been the T6 if the struts you have will hold the rack up with the bikes on then they should be more than strong enough

It’s all to do with the Nm of force they have you are correct the link I sent was for T5 should have been the T6 if the struts you have will hold the rack up with the bikes on then they should be more than strong enough

Cool - Thanks for the feedback

50 North do a mod for an existing bike rack that turns it in to a spare wheel carrier. Still expensive tho.

How dod you manage to buy direct from Hess??
I contacted them as they did not take credit cards and did a bank transfer it was a bit of a faf as it has to be correct excahge rate with it being Swiss Francs but I was happy with everything that came and no issues with customs

Back